Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #41
dodgefather21

I spent hours and multiple locations measuring and leveling , hooking up and unhooking . I have a 1/4 difference from beginning height . And I still feel like I could do better ,my trailer is only 27ft and being a 3500 I could tow way more but this trailer fits my need perfect . What are your honest opinions on how mine sits ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #42
dodgefather21

Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #43
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefather21 View Post

Good god! That thing is overloaded! I'd sell it and start looking at Peterbilt, Kenworth or Freightliner. Ha ha, that was my way attempting to be funny. You gotta be careful on here you know...

I think it looks great. You have plenty of truck and you seem to know what you need and what you don't. Enjoy the experience!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #44
dodgefather21

Nothing wrong with towing a heavy trailer on bump stops, right?

Lol @sodfather . I had a bad experience as a kid when riding in the back of a truck ,topper window flapping open and looking up to see grandpas brand new 30ft travel trailer riding on one complete side then the other and eventually rolling over and pointing the truck down a cliff . I remember begging grandma to ride in the camper . Thank god she said no . So I take every precaution possible before hitting the road . I don't move until all lugs get torqued ,tire pressure checked , everything locked chains crossed , all lights working i'm a young buck and still very much a rookie when towing and have done it less then 10 times .

Old 07-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #45
Tbos

Quote:
Lol @sodfather . I had a bad experience as a kid when riding in the back of a truck ,topper window flapping open and looking up to see grandpas brand new 30ft travel trailer riding on one complete side then the other and eventually rolling over and pointing the truck down a cliff . I remember begging grandma to ride in the camper . Thank god she said no . So I take every precaution possible before hitting the road . I don't move until all lugs get torqued ,tire pressure checked , everything locked chains crossed , all lights working i'm a young buck and still very much a rookie when towing and have done it less then 10 times .

You are doing it right. Looks like you have it set up properly. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #46
{tpc}

FWIW, that burb with the apparent LTZ package, may (or may not) have autoride rear shocks, which have built in airbags. If the truck was shut off at the dump, the system could have vented the air out of the bags creating the rear sag, and then pumped them back up when restarted.

However, it does look a bit overloaded, even if the air vented out. I'll have to take a good look at mine next time I'm hooked up and see if it looks similar to that one with the engine off.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #47
GMcKenzie

Can't seem to get it uploaded, but I've got a video I took of a triple axles Airstream (may 35') being pulled by a Buick Enclave.

Maybe this link will work

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...mtXdDFlUVV2dEU

Frikken nuts if you ask me.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
Old 07-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #48
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
No. A business has no legal authority to confiscate/hold/detain other people's property.

That is why disassembling things (like brakes) in order to inspect them can be dicey. If the customer doesn't want you to fix them, what do you do, put it back together or leave it in pieces?

Although a customer insists on you putting it back together as it was, you have now worked on it and have liability. Or you refuse to put it back together without fixing it, which has problems of its own.

Some places make you sign paperwork prior to inspecting, however some don't. Hopefully the signed paperwork has verbiage that covers this situation.

Lots of liability working on people's vehicles. Something a lot of shops don't think about.

Can you or have you ever called the DOT over what you thought was a grossly unsafe rig? I get that you can't do much if the customer insists it's fine and drives away, but really shouldn't be on the road?

Just curious.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
Old 07-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #49
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Can you or have you ever called the DOT over what you thought was a grossly unsafe rig? I get that you can't do much if the customer insists it's fine and drives away, but really shouldn't be on the road?

Just curious.
When you (we) live in a free society, we have to accept that some of the freedoms may not be to our liking. Living in a society where fellow citizens call you out for what they think is not to there liking is not healthy either.

A lot of fine lines here.

We have the technology to read the GVWR of a TV and weigh each axle at speed, plus read the plate and electronically issue infractions. As a society we have not chosen to do that yet.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Old 07-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #50
notanlines

This is all pretty much all for nothing. This Buick Enclave is a veritable BEAST! Towing capacity of 4500 pounds and will hold seven passengers. A monster V-6 engine that will pull the socks off a rooster. That little old' trailer is an older model Classic weighing about 11,000 lbs gross. Tongue weight about 1000 lbs. I can't see any reason why that Classis can't haul that Buick with no problem at all.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 07-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #51
dodgefather21

It can tow it but what's going to stop it ?

Old 07-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
When you (we) live in a free society, we have to accept that some of the freedoms may not be to our liking. Living in a society where fellow citizens call you out for what they think is not to there liking is not healthy either.

A lot of fine lines here.

We have the technology to read the GVWR of a TV and weigh each axle at speed, plus read the plate and electronically issue infractions. As a society we have not chosen to do that yet.
I'm not sure if I agree with this.

We have freedoms but we also have laws. WE do not have the latitude to violate the laws with impunity. We also do not have the latitude of violating such laws without the intervention of....someone, police, etc. If someone is breaking a law that directly affects me or my family, I will, and do, call them out. It's not unhealthy; it imperative that we do it. Bad guys can't be left to do what they want to because we don't want to intervene.

We own property in some really beautiful mountains. We have our own resident deer and elk herds that run our valley daily to feed and water. Our property is fenced and bordered on 3 sides by National forest. Every fall when deer or elk season arrives, there will be nut jobs that stalk our herds at our fence line and have taken shots from there; straight into our living areas. EVERY year I watch our perimeters; when I find a hunter looking for an easy kill on private property I'm off in my Jeep or an ATV and confront them and make them get away from our property. It's not to my liking and it's illegal so they get to visit with me.....or Fish and Game. It's not unhealthy. Anyone that breaks the law and is willing to put me, or others, in jeopardy NEEDS to be called out and chastised. I don't need society to decide what I need to do. JMO
Old 07-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
This is all pretty much all for nothing. This Buick Enclave is a veritable BEAST! Towing capacity of 4500 pounds and will hold seven passengers. A monster V-6 engine that will pull the socks off a rooster. That little old' trailer is an older model Classic weighing about 11,000 lbs gross. Tongue weight about 1000 lbs. I can't see any reason why that Classis can't haul that Buick with no problem at all.....

I read that the Enclave WAS a beast!! Maybe they were trying to show it off; hook it up to the Airstream, put the Enclave in drive, and floor it......maybe it will smoke the tires while the trailer never moves or just......clunk??

This video just emphasizes the old adage; you can't fix stupid.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #54
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
FWIW, that burb with the apparent LTZ package, may (or may not) have autoride rear shocks, which have built in airbags. If the truck was shut off at the dump, the system could have vented the air out of the bags creating the rear sag, and then pumped them back up when restarted.

However, it does look a bit overloaded, even if the air vented out. I'll have to take a good look at mine next time I'm hooked up and see if it looks similar to that one with the engine off.
Gm's autoride "auto-leveling" system doesn't deflate (vent) air shocks when the ignition is turned off. The pressure remains constant for some time even under heavy loads. My Denali always leveled out with autoride, even with 800-900 lbs of tongue weight.

The vehicle pulled into the dump station with the axle riding on the bump stops. There was no articulation of any of the suspension components. The camera's angle doesn't give an honest view.

My only thought was that the onboard compressor failed during the trip. Even so, none of the passengers (or driver) were concerned about the failure (if that was the problem).
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #55
rhagfo

Quote:
It can tow it but what's going to stop it ?

Likely the six brake units on the Airstream.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 07-25-2017, 04:44 AM   #56
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Gm's autoride "auto-leveling" system doesn't deflate (vent) air shocks when the ignition is turned off. The pressure remains constant for some time even under heavy loads. My Denali always leveled out with autoride, even with 800-900 lbs of tongue weight.

The vehicle pulled into the dump station with the axle riding on the bump stops. There was no articulation of any of the suspension components. The camera's angle doesn't give an honest view.

My only thought was that the onboard compressor failed during the trip. Even so, none of the passengers (or driver) were concerned about the failure (if that was the problem).
I agree that they should have be concerned about the problem. Likely if its an older burb, there are a couple of things that can go wrong, assuming they have autoride and automatic leveling. The computers that control these things, the compressor that runs air into the bags and the bags themselves are known to go bad. Not one part of the system is inexpensive, so a lot of times people replace them with standard shocks or whatever the least expensive option is, which normally isn't great either. I think its like sticker shock....its going to cost what? What is the cheapest I can get away with? Etc etc.

For what its worth, straight from the owners manual:

Automatic Level Control

The automatic level control rear suspension is available on two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive light-duty vehicles and comes as a part of the
Autoride® suspension, if equipped. This type of level control is fully automatic and will provide a better leveled riding position as well
as better handling under a variety of passenger and loading conditions. An air compressor connected to the rear shocks will raise or lower the rear of the vehicle to maintain proper vehicle height. The system is activated when the ignition key is turned to RUN and will automatically adjust vehicle height thereafter. The system may exhaust (lower vehicle height) for up to
ten minutes after the ignition key has been turned off.
You may hear the air compressor operating when the height is being adjusted. If a weight-distributing hitch is being used, it is recommended to allow the shocks to inflate, thereby leveling the vehicle prior to adjusting the hitch.

Obviously this doesn't matter because as you stated they pulled into the spot in this condition. So my bad. My mind just jumped to a diagnosis mode of trying to figure out how this could have occurred, since my truck has auto leveling as well. Mine actually works though.

Also, I think on the more premium models or maybe newer ones, you can "set" the leveling or something like that? I don't know exactly, other than mine has no option for it, its just automatic. Frankly I'd be good with a normal suspension lol.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:09 AM   #57
cpt_majestic

I had 4 dealers in the last month tell me I could tow the biggest fifth wheel off the lot with my 2017 F-250 6.7 diesel. You mean the 41 foot Montana? Legally and safely? Sure can, you're well within limits. I just laugh, I try and explain the weigh calculations and they just glaze over.

There has to be responsibility placed on dealers, their probably letting most of these people drive off the lot overloaded to the hilt before the trailers even loaded. Sadly they won't change, but it's wishfull thinking.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:24 AM   #58
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
I had 4 dealers in the last month tell me I could tow the biggest fifth wheel off the lot with my 2017 F-250 6.7 diesel. You mean the 41 foot Montana? Legally and safely? Sure can, you're well within limits. I just laugh, I try and explain the weigh calculations and they just glaze over.

There has to be responsibility placed on dealers, their probably letting most of these people drive off the lot overloaded to the hilt before the trailers even loaded. Sadly they won't change, but it's wishfull thinking.
Many years ago while using a '99 Durango RT (5.9 L with FTFWD)to tow with the DW and I were at a dealership in Maryland looking at trailers. The salesman asked what we were using as a TV. I told him and I said that it had a max tow cap of 7,500 lb and I would not consider any unit over 5,000 lb empty. First unit he showed us was 10K empty. We thanked him and left. Thjere is the old adage "Buyer beware" but when it comes to life safety I feel this should be considered criminal. JM2CW
Old 07-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #59
zuley

But the dealer said I was good to go with my tow vehicle!!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 AM   #60
JRTJH
Site Team

Like most things in life, there are some good ones and there are some not so good ones and there are a few "TERRIBLE ONES"......

When you run across a salesman that obviously is "selling snake oil", it's up to you what parts of his pitch you believe (if any of it).

Seems to me that more and more people in today's market "want to hear they're OK" (instant gratification) so when someone tells them that, they stop listening. I see it on the forum almost daily. "But my dealer told me......" and they actually "argue with common sense", apparently because their dealer told them what they wanted to hear, so anything else, even the truth must be "BS"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing