Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2017, 03:24 AM   #21
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just a thought......."We are not only surrounded by idiots, we may in fact, be outnumbered!"
Ain't that the truth!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #22
captcolour

And then there is this gem:

"You're not paying attention and are ignoring the valid points about towing safety. Simply spouting off that being overweight makes a person dangerous is a stupid oversimplification of the realities of towing."
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #23
Cardcathrn

Unhappy Weights

Ok now you all have me nervous. I have a chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8. with tow of 9200-9500 overall grand total of 15000 (truck and trailer) allowed. My new TT is 7704 dry and door says 8000. Also purchased the equalizer special hitch thing.
Had a really hard time finding the actual rear axle weight. Both chevy and rv assured I would be ok as long as I wasn't bringing along 2000 lbs of crud. Pretty much my husband and I only, maybe our dog.
Not full time rv'ers, more like weekenders etc.
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #24
CWSWine

When I asked the GMC commercial sales about GVWR that is the link they sent me.

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/u...ht-rating.html

This is the bottom line of the link above and the official statement from GMC.

"It's important to always abide by the GVWR specifically set for your GMC truck or SUV. In the course of vehicle development, professional engineers have extensively pushed these vehicles to their limits in order to keep you, your passengers, and your belongings safe and to avoid damage to your vehicle. Staying within these limits helps your truck, trailer, and travel remain safe."
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardcathrn View Post
Ok now you all have me nervous. I have a chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8. with tow of 9200-9500 overall grand total of 15000 (truck and trailer) allowed. My new TT is 7704 dry and door says 8000. Also purchased the equalizer special hitch thing.
Had a really hard time finding the actual rear axle weight. Both chevy and rv assured I would be ok as long as I wasn't bringing along 2000 lbs of crud. Pretty much my husband and I only, maybe our dog.
Not full time rv'ers, more like weekenders etc.
Safety is critical when towing an RV Trailer. This training video discusses the importance of understanding a Truck's ratings and how these ratings limit the size of the trailer that can be safely towed. You will be provided the tools and basic understanding needed to assist your endeavor to properly match a truck and trailer, so that you can enjoy RVing safely.

http://rvsafety.com/rv-education/mat...ks-to-trailers
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #26
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
And then there is this gem:

"You're not paying attention and are ignoring the valid points about towing safety. Simply spouting off that being overweight makes a person dangerous is a stupid oversimplification of the realities of towing."
So true, XRated example of sway as he didn't have enough tongue weigh as it would take him over GVWR, had he filled or partials fill his TH's FW tank he would have been over GVWR, but likely due to a more correctly loaded TH more stable.
While it is better to tow within GVWR, just because one exceeds it doesn't automatically make one unsafe. Conversely just because one is towing under GVWR doesn't automatically make one "Safe".
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So true, XRated example of sway as he didn't have enough tongue weigh as it would take him over GVWR, had he filled or partials fill his TH's FW tank he would have been over GVWR, but likely due to a more correctly loaded TH more stable.
While it is better to tow within GVWR, just because one exceeds it doesn't automatically make one unsafe. Conversely just because one is towing under GVWR doesn't automatically make one "Safe".
rhagfo

You constantly advocate that folks SHOULD tow overweight. You, in your mind, have figured out a way to justify what you do; I don't know if you can't afford a proper vehicle or you just like to push the odds. Whatever it is, you should let folks that try to do the right thing....try to do it, without posting junk that could get folks hurt that don't know better.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
rhagfo

You constantly advocate that folks SHOULD tow overweight. You, in your mind, have figured out a way to justify what you do; I don't know if you can't afford a proper vehicle or you just like to push the odds. Whatever it is, you should let folks that try to do the right thing....try to do it, without posting junk that could get folks hurt that don't know better.
I don't encourage others to tow overweight, but also understand that a TV can be Under GVWR and be unsafe, and be over GVWR and still be safe.
That is not encouraging overweight towing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I don't encourage others to tow overweight, but also understand that a TV can be Under GVWR and be unsafe, and be over GVWR and still be safe.
That is not encouraging overweight towing.

Thanks. I think that pretty much illustrates to members where your thinking is. Weights, laws etc. don't mean anything....it's pretty much the luck of the draw - or how YOU choose to interpret them??
Old 07-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #30
xrated

Quote:
And just where do YOU propose that I put the motorcycles, toolbox, my built-in 30 gal. fuel tank, etc to be able to "properly" load my T.H. I'm thinking that none of that stuff is going to fit in the forward bedroom or living room/kitchen area. The available storage space is what it is, and where it's located. And yes, YOU DO propose towing overloaded....if that's what you end up with. Well, I don't follow that line of thinking and will do whatever is in my power to NOT be overloaded in any of the several categories.....GVWR, GCWR, Axle ratings front and rear, hitch ratings, .....NONE of them, not maybe one here or there......NONE OF THEM. And if you are overloaded in any one of them, and say it's OK, then you advocate towing overloaded, it's that simple....whether you admit to it or not.

One thing I agree with you about is that yes, you can be under in all the categories and still not be safe, but is more a function of being an unsafe driver, or simply not have your rig set up properly. But your rig cannot be set up properly if it's OVERLOADED. The very definition of overloaded means that you are not setup properly. And if you have no choices of where to store the things that you take/need, and are limited by the trailer's storage areas of where to put certain things, then you take actions, like I did to correct the situation that you find yourself in.....pretty simple!

And for you to get on here and state that it's "OK" to be overweight, is just wrong, especially for someone that knows better....but won't admit it. You and I obviously have different opinions about right and wrong, legal and illegal, proper loading and improper loading, but I can rest assured that if I ever have an accident with my truck/trailer while towing, the cause will never be that I am overloaded.......and that's something I can be proud of.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #31
captcolour

Continuing the discussion from "over there" at the truck forum:

"Those forums (RV forums) are full of weight police fear mongers that arm chair engineer more than actually tow. Most of us won't go anywhere near them... Personally, I won't even read on RV forums, never mind post due to the lack of sense and sanity... I think you should be concerned with physical limitations. Legal issues are EXTREMELY rare and if they do happen AND are your fault, that's what insurance is for." [glad he isn't here!]

Or this "wisdom":

"The Manufacturers are just giving you recommendations, that's all. Ford doesn't make Law. The States and the Feds do. You get Dewey, Cheatum and Howe to sue me because I'm over a manufacturer's RECOMMENDED Load rating and the Judge will laugh him out of Court. Then I'll take everything he owns for filing a frivolous lawsuit. Now..... There is reckless and dangerous and that is certainly actionable. But just being a few pounds over a Manufacturers recommended weight, towing, whatever??"

No where on the stickers or in the manual does it say these weights are RECOMMENDATIONS!
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
Continuing the discussion from "over there" at the truck forum:

"Those forums (RV forums) are full of weight police fear mongers that arm chair engineer more than actually tow. Most of us won't go anywhere near them... Personally, I won't even read on RV forums, never mind post due to the lack of sense and sanity... I think you should be concerned with physical limitations. Legal issues are EXTREMELY rare and if they do happen AND are your fault, that's what insurance is for." [glad he isn't here!]

Or this "wisdom":

"The Manufacturers are just giving you recommendations, that's all. Ford doesn't make Law. The States and the Feds do. You get Dewey, Cheatum and Howe to sue me because I'm over a manufacturer's RECOMMENDED Load rating and the Judge will laugh him out of Court. Then I'll take everything he owns for filing a frivolous lawsuit. Now..... There is reckless and dangerous and that is certainly actionable. But just being a few pounds over a Manufacturers recommended weight, towing, whatever??"

No where on the stickers or in the manual does it say these weights are RECOMMENDATIONS!

The quotes above illustrate the reason I use a truck forum for "truck" related stuff, not towing. For the most part they are ignorant of the nuances involved in towing - and they are obviously happy that way
Old 07-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #33
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

... and this forum is filled with old guys that won't do anything unless some government sticker says it is ok.

Unless you aren't paying attention, 3/4-ton trucks are a unique animal. Don't be too quick to condemn unless unless you know all the facts. The sticker is NOT all the facts.

The truck forums have a much greater knowledge base in this regard. RV forums tend to be a bunch of nanny-staters that don't do anything unless .gov says it is ok and can't think for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #34
vampress_me

Well, it's nice to know we're all old GUYS, but I think I tore the stickers off and threw them away a while ago. Has something to do with living in the worst nanny-state of MN and rebelling against it here...

Seriously, everyone has different opinions, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but do we have to get nasty about it? And maybe it's just because it's late, and I'm being "overly sensitive", and I'm still up getting texts from the hubby down at the camper telling me how nasty the storm is there. The same storm that just got done dumping 2.5" diameter hail on my parent's house and farm. But really?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #35
CaptnJohn

I'm one of those old guys at 69 but don't feel old. Had an F250 with the 6.7 when I bought the Cougar 5er. I was over payload by a bunch. So, I traded for an F350 and just bought a Montana HC. Surely some of those posters on the truck forums would be pulling the Montana with the F250. Some maybe would try an F150. I have only one comment on those comments, you cannot fix stupid. Guess they would call me the weight police.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #36
xrated

OK, help me out here (I have NO doubt you will), I'm 62 1/2 years old....am I an "old guy"? The other part about being being legal and falling within the weight ratings, I'm in on that one......I just need to know if I'm one of the Old Guys?

Old 07-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #37
Harleydodge

Quote:
OK, help me out here (I have NO doubt you will), I'm 62 1/2 years old....am I an "old guy"? The other part about being being legal and falling within the weight ratings, I'm in on that one......I just need to know if I'm one of the Old Guys?
Let's put it this way.
You're 40 years older (and wiser) than most of the "green-horns" that are posting on those "truck" Forums.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:46 AM   #38
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

We've been down this same road so many times and this issue never gets solved.

There are two issues here: can I tow it and should I tow it. The tower has to make the choice on these. People can chime in with their opinions, and they will, when asked these questions.

Those who have been there, me included, will always advocate for towing within the posted limits of the TV. Those who haven't been there will advocate that pushing the limits of the TV is ok, because they've done it, survived and it's ok.

For newbies, the forum will always advocate for towing within the limits. That's the safe and responsible thing to do for someone who asks. Telling someone who is inexperienced that sure they can do it is irresponsible. There is a huge difference between an experienced tower pulling overweight and an inexperienced tower pulling overweight. I for one could not and would not want to put someone in a situation they are not prepared for.

You may do it and feel comfortable doing it. But remember, they are not you. They have different life experiences, different talents, and different equipment. Just because you do it does not mean that everyone should do it. That's really the bottom line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 AM   #39
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
... and this forum is filled with old guys that won't do anything unless some government sticker says it is ok.

Unless you aren't paying attention, 3/4-ton trucks are a unique animal. Don't be too quick to condemn unless unless you know all the facts. The sticker is NOT all the facts.

The truck forums have a much greater knowledge base in this regard. RV forums tend to be a bunch of nanny-staters that don't do anything unless .gov says it is ok and can't think for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's so unique about a 3/4T truck? It has a payload capacity, a GVWR, a GCWR, an axle weight rating front and rear, a trailer towing capacity weight rating, all the things that every other truck out there has. It has limits just like every other truck does. It doesn't sound unique to me!. The stickers and ratings are there for a reason. Whether you choose to abide by them or not is on you....but if you don't, that still doesn't change the ratings/capacities, just like airbags don't change the capacities of a truck. And so I'm curious....what are "The rest of the facts" that you speak of? Enlighten me/us!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #40
gkainz

Quote:
I'm 59 ... I think you're one of the "Old Guys" ... I think that officially happens when we revert to our single digit years method of counting age "adding the 'and a half' qualifier"?

I know ... Social Security causes that ... counting the days until we can start drawing on OUR MONEY that WE involuntarily contributed to a retirement system that has some how been categorized as "THEIR MONEY" now ...

Sorry ... didn't mean to get political!
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing