Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #61
C424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
It looks like you have it set up correct. Do that test tow. I have to use my tongue jack in most cases to get my bars on too. That is normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used the tongue jack but almost had the back end of the truck up and still had to use the bar. Probably no big deal, I'm sure that's what it's for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #62
Desert185

Dang. This entire thread has made me glad I have a fifth wheel.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #63
C424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Dang. This entire thread has made me glad I have a fifth wheel.

I can imagine.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:45 AM   #64
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C424 View Post
I used the tongue jack but almost had the back end of the truck up and still had to use the bar. Probably no big deal, I'm sure that's what it's for.

Do you have an electric jack or are you crankin' it? You can lift the back end of your truck to the end of your jack, it won't hurt anything. If you are lifting it and still having to use the bar, you've not lifted it enough. I lift mine until they slide into place by hand. Much easier on the old body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #65
Bob Landry

There is so much bad information posted in these WD threads it just becomes mesmerizing to see how many people really don't understand WD but want to post something anyway.
The best ones are the people who look just at a photo that's been posted and says"that looks good"
You guys are wearing out tires and front end components by trying to level your tow vehicle, but no one seems to care. Having to use a hydraulic jack just to get the trailer hitched up? Really? If you have to do that, you need to go back to square one.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #66
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
There is so much bad information posted in these WD threads it just becomes mesmerizing to see how many people really don't understand WD but want to post something anyway.
The best ones are the people who look just at a photo that's been posted and says"that looks good"
You guys are wearing out tires and front end components by trying to level your tow vehicle, but no one seems to care. Having to use a hydraulic jack just to get the trailer hitched up? Really? If you have to do that, you need to go back to square one.
Cofused by your comment. Could you elaborate on what you see as a problem? I think the OP has been helped and is in a better spot than he was when he started. That is/was the goal.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #67
Tbos

Need help with hitch

Here's how I see it. Someone post a photograph of a setup that is obviously wrong and doesn't provide the results it should. We look at the picture, ask questions and use what knowledge we have to help the OP get it set up right. The OP follows the advice and the manual's instructions and when done post a picture. Based on what we know from our own experience we comment. Don't see how this is doing anyone any harm?

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #68
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Cofused by your comment. Could you elaborate on what you see as a problem? I think the OP has been helped and is in a better spot than he was when he started. That is/was the goal.

The problem that I see with this thread and on many others pertaining to WD adjustments is that no one suggests restoring the front end of the tow vehicle to the unhitched height or the height suggested in the owners manual and verifying it either by weighing on a CAT scale or at the very least taking accurate fender height measurements. Every truck owners manual specifies what that measurement should be. If you are not within that spec, then it's not right. That's a far cry from setting it for what looks good, feels good driving, or how easy it is to install the torque bars. If the correct weight is not returned to the front end, one of two scenarios are likely to happen. Either the front end will be overloaded because someones brother-in-law told him to crank in washers until the truck is level, thus putting premature wear on tires and suspension components. or not enough weight is returned making the front end too light and creating handling problems on wet roads or ice, not to mention the danger presented to other drivers on the road.
I don't think anyone can determine if a setup is correct by simply looking at a photo and to make suggestions on what to change based on that observation is being irresponsible to the OP and the driving public at best.
So, ctbruce, how can you determine that the OP has been helped based on looking at a photograph when you don't know what weights or measurements he started or ended with other than it "looks right".

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #69
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The problem that I see with this thread and on many others pertaining to WD adjustments is that no one suggests restoring the front end of the tow vehicle to the unhitched height or the height suggested in the owners manual and verifying it either by weighing on a CAT scale or at the very least taking accurate fender height measurements. Every truck owners manual specifies what that measurement should be. If you are not within that spec, then it's not right. That's a far cry from setting it for what looks good, feels good driving, or how easy it is to install the torque bars. If the correct weight is not returned to the front end, one of two scenarios are likely to happen. Either the front end will be overloaded because someones brother-in-law told him to crank in washers until the truck is level, thus putting premature wear on tires and suspension components. or not enough weight is returned making the front end too light and creating handling problems on wet roads or ice, not to mention the danger presented to other drivers on the road.
I don't think anyone can determine if a setup is correct by simply looking at a photo and to make suggestions on what to change based on that observation is being irresponsible to the OP and the driving public at best.
So, ctbruce, how can you determine that the OP has been helped based on looking at a photograph when you don't know what weights or measurements he started or ended with other than it "looks right".
By the fact that he went back and redid the install with the manual and followed it this time. The look after redoing it confirmed that he was closer the second time to the expected outcome than he was on the first time. No one in their right mind would set up a WDH by looks and that was never suggested. Go back and read the whole thread and you'll see that.

Almost all of the posts were about correcting misinformation that was being given in order to help the OP out. See my post #15 for an example.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312

Tags
hitch