Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
seaward83

Hitch on truck

If I'm getting a new hitch on a different vehicle, is the power part standard? Or what do I need to ask for?

=^..^=
Cat
seaward83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Power part? If you mean the plug, then the 7 way plug should be wired to industry standard.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Epoweredrc

the round 7 port is what seem all campers have. if you have a utility trailer you will be towing often you might want them to put on a dual. a 4 way and 7 way plug that's what my blazer has and it's a nice thing to have. rather then having to keep up with a adapter to go from 7 to 4.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Epoweredrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You might expound a little on your question. A new "hitch" doesn't have "power" so to speak. If it's the plug, I think that was answered above, but, not all vehicles come with a 7 or 4 pin plug so it's not "standard". A little more info would help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Frank G

If a vehicle does not have a factory hitch and no wiring I would be very cautious about it's towing ability. If you are talking a fifth wheel hitch, that is another story. More information is needed.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
seaward83

Hitch on truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You might expound a little on your question. A new "hitch" doesn't have "power" so to speak. If it's the plug, I think that was answered above, but, not all vehicles come with a 7 or 4 pin plug so it's not "standard". A little more info would help.

Yes, plug. I had my camper towed to the dealer for repairs. I noticed when the guy picked it up, He had two types of plugs.

=^..^=
Cat
Old 07-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
seaward83

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Power part? If you mean the plug, then the 7 way plug should be wired to industry standard.

Thank you! Just when they picked up my camper the guy had two different size plugs in his truck, so didn't know that there was an established standard

=^..^=
Cat
Old 07-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaward83 View Post
so didn't know that there was an established standard
At minimum go with a 7 pin from the get go. That will cover all bases as adapters to go down can be bought later.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #9
seaward83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
At minimum go with a 7 pin from the get go. That will cover all bases as adapters to go down can be bought later.

Perfect!!! Thank you!!

=^..^=
Cat
Old 08-01-2017, 03:37 AM   #10
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
the round 7 port is what seem all campers have. if you have a utility trailer you will be towing often you might want them to put on a dual. a 4 way and 7 way plug that's what my blazer has and it's a nice thing to have. rather then having to keep up with a adapter to go from 7 to 4.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
I agree.
If you're adding a wiring plug, go with one that has both the 4way and the 7way, That way you'll have them both if ever needed "later on"

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
Desert185

Also, if you have a 7-pin plug on your tow vehicle and need to tow a light utility trailer with a 4-pin plug, you can use an adapter plug.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Perfect!!! Thank you!!

=^..^=
Cat
Don't forget the brake controller.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
seaward83

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't forget the brake controller.

Is that supposed to be standard?

=^..^=
Cat
Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
Johnny's Journey

Quote:

=^..^=
Cat
This is approximate so read the owner manual to said vehicle and know your trailers weight as well. A quick copy and paste > What weight trailer needs brakes?
Trailers not exceeding 3,000 lbs. need not have brakes on all wheels, provided that the total weight of the trailers does not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer and the combination of vehicles is capable of complying with braking performance requirements. Edit as I did not answer the direct question. Some trucks come with them standard but most do not.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

=^..^=
Cat
Quote:
This approximate so read the owner manual said vehicle and know your trailers weight as well. A quick copy and paste > What weight trailer needs brakes?
Trailers not exceeding 3,000 lbs. need not have brakes on all wheels, provided that the total weight of the trailers does not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer and the combination of vehicles is capable of complying with braking performance requirements. Edit as I did not answer the direct question. Some trucks come with them standard but most do not.
The member asking the question lives in Texas, the member providing the answer lives in California. Two different states and two different laws concerning towing requirements. Please, if you're going to offer "legal requirements for a specific situation" qualify which state and in the case of the US and Canada, which country the laws apply. We wouldn't want someone to take advice from this forum and potentially do something that is unlawful in their place of residence.

As for whether an electronic brake control is "standard equipment" on a vehicle, it is included in some optional packages on some vehicles, is included in some "trim level packages" with some brands and is not even available in some vehicles, so it must be added with an "aftermarket modification"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #16
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We wouldn't want someone to take advice from this forum.
Noted. In my defense this is why I used the word "approximate" to be taken as a disclaimer. OP has been very vague and there is now way I could say anything exact.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Noted. In my defense this is why I used the word "approximate" to be taken as a disclaimer. OP has been very vague and there is now way I could say anything exact.
It's very easy to give incorrect (and sometimes completely wrong) information when the recipient lives in a different state. As an example, this is the requirement as posted on the Texas Department of Public Safety website:

"Brakes Required

A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or combination of those vehicles shall be equipped with brakes.

A trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer is not required to have brakes if:
1.its gross weight is 4,500 pounds or less; or
2.its gross weight is heavier than 4,500 pounds but not heavier than 15,000 pounds, and it is drawn at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour.

Each power unit must be equipped with a parking brake

A motor vehicle used to tow a trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer equipped with brakes shall be equipped with service brakes arranged so that, in case of a breakaway of the towed vehicle, the towing vehicle is capable of stopping by use of its service brakes"

As you can see, it's entirely different from anything previously posted.

Now, as a "disclaimer", I can not confirm that this information is current and applicable to the member asking for information. It would be advisable for him to contact the State Police or the DPS to confirm the validity of anything posted on this website.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch