Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
annebluesky

AC advice needed

Hi from Florida - yes its hot !!

Just purchased a 2016 Fuzion. 1 AC unit in the Bedroom (go figure ??) and 1 in the Garage. The Main living area is vented but doesn't appear to be working. I have had the dealer look at it twice and they said it is working properly after they moved some venting around. It is only cooling to about 89 degrees which is ridiculous. The bedroom is lovely and cold if you want to sit up there.

I called Keystone and they informed me that it is supposed to cool the living area. Not sure why a designer thought the bedroom needed the AC more than the living area but I suppose I am not smart enough

Suggestions before I loose my mind.
annebluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Pull Toy

Hi,

Check your duct work, The industry is known for sub-standard ducting! If you are set up for dual units, this might be a consideration in HOT areas.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Badbart56

My Fusion is a 2010 model and originally came with just one ducted unit in the main living area. It was adequate (barely) and on hot days struggled to keep temps at 82 degrees. Since we decided to live in it full time we added a 15000 unit to the bedroom and another one in the garage. Much better! I'm surprised yours didn't come with one mounted central. Maybe you can add one. When you say the main living area is vented, does it have vents in the ceiling and the floor?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
annebluesky

The ceiling has vents but it struggles to cool the living area, there doesn't seem to be enough air flow. There are 2 units. If I can't get it to cool in the living area my only option may be to install a 3rd AC for there
Old 06-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
86GT2r

Do you have the vent on the A/C unit closed? Cool air won’t circulate through the ducts if this vent is open.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
annebluesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GT2r View Post
Do you have the vent on the A/C unit closed? Cool air won’t circulate through the ducts if this vent is open.
The A/C unit has 2 vents - I have 1 closed and 1 open - so that it cooled the bedroom area and hopefully pushed some into the ductwork for the living area
Old 06-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Do a search for "amazing ac improvement" on the forum. It is a good thread about how to improve your ac efficiency.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:21 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

If your trailer has two A/Cs, one is likely vented and one not. The vented A/C has a feature on most trailers called quick cool which means that if the air vent or vents on the unit are open, no air gets out into the duct work. Try closing the vents on the ducted system. Make sure the thermostat is set to auto and high fan.

Since your trailer and most of them seem to have been finished at the factory LATE on a Friday afternoon, quality of the duct sealing will be not so good. Do look at the "amazing ac improvement" thread as it basically addresses this issue. You may also have to look inside your lower unit to ensure that hot intake air isn't getting into the cold air path as there is also some hvac tape in there intended keep these air flows separate but on my trailer, this tape job was done poorly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

This is more an "observation of your question" than a recommendation on how to fix the problem:

You say you "recently bought a 2016 Fuzion"... I'm guessing it was previously owned?? If so, is it possible that it was "designed for 3 air conditioners" and originally shipped with the two units, one in the bedroom and one in the main living room, and the previous owner wasn't satisfied with the noise in the main living area? He could have had the "main living area" unit moved to the garage as a "work around for not buying the third unit" and solve the noise issue at the same time.....

I've seen more than one "large fifth wheel" that's designed for three A/C units where the owner didn't want to spend $700, but wanted garage cooling, so they "cheaped out" and moved the center unit to the garage.......

Just putting it out there, you might want to look at the roof vent in the main area and see if there was (or is) connections for an A/C at that vent. You may even find evidence of the original A/C installation in that "Main Area vent"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
ChuckS

Drop the ceiling AC vent louvers and receptacles town and see if the aluminum thin tape used to seal between ceiling and roof has gaps.

If so reseal with HVAC aluminum tape. You may be looosng a lot of airflow in between ceiling and roof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C601D713-AE80-4476-AFB7-19E41D50FBC6.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	17256  
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Drop the ceiling AC vent louvers and receptacles town and see if the aluminum thin tape used to seal between ceiling and roof has gaps.

If so reseal with HVAC aluminum tape. You may be looosng a lot of airflow in between ceiling and roof

I had read the "amazing" article where folks stuffed stuff at the ends of their vent runs and had already done that trick and it made little difference. My vents looked like the one ChuckS pictured. The foil was mostly not where it should be. I replaced the vents; bought some foil tape and taped over the void between ceiling and vent. I cut the hvac foil tape in about 3" lengths and started it out on the ceiling with about 1/4" of tape. Then I pushed it back in the void a bit so the vent wouldn't tear it when the vent was reinstalled. I then wrapped it atop the vent. It takes awhile to do it this way but it seals the vent from the void great!

Today it was triple digits here in sunny Texas and I noted that it dropped cabin temps a couple degrees. It made a noticeable difference. I also retaped inside the lower unit to ensure air wasn't leaking from intake to air-out areas, etc. I second what Chuck said. Just sticking stuff at the end of the vents makes little sense if there is leaking prior to the vent run ends!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #12
E Rod

I had the same issue with my 40 ft alpine. I added additional vents,total of 14 and 2 additional return air grille for total of 6. Two vents I added are right at the output where the blower wheel is . You feel a huge difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_161122.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	17261   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_160555.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	17264  
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Take care if walking on that roof; looks like you have cut through some of your rafters which support the roof.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #14
E Rod

Actually what i cut out was the box framing for the a.c. unit itself. It was in between the ceiling and duct right underneath the blower. I used an inspection camera before any cutting. Didn't affect any structural integrity of the roof or rafters.

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #15
buvens

Can I ask a question on how you removed your vents to check them out?

The bottom section with the vent rotates and it looks like the round part above that is screwed to the ceiling. Does the part that rotates pop off with a knife blade or something to get to the part that looks like it screws to the roof?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #16
DVPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvens View Post
Can I ask a question on how you removed your vents to check them out?

The bottom section with the vent rotates and it looks like the round part above that is screwed to the ceiling. Does the part that rotates pop off with a knife blade or something to get to the part that looks like it screws to the roof?

Thanks
The rotating part will pop off. I can do it by hand but a knife will help. It's plastic so be careful
DVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #17
buvens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVPete View Post
The rotating part will pop off. I can do it by hand but a knife will help. It's plastic so be careful
Thanks...Sonny
buvens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
twvette

I have exact same issue on my Fuzion also. Checked everything per the A/C improvement posts and played around opening or closing one or both side at the A/C with little to no improvement. I can confirm both my A/C's were ducted for output into the living area with a couple rear most ones on the garage A/C and the rest on the bedroom A/C. Only way for me to keep it reasonably cool on 85+ degree sunny day is we put a small (12in?) but powerful fan on the floor on the steps just outside the bedroom with the door open and then a fairly big evaporative tower fan just outside the garage door with it open also. This actually works extremely good for a fairly cheap solution. A little hassle to fill the evaporative bucket with a good amount of water each day but it really does help a lot. A third A/C really should have been standard on these big garage models instead of an option and I might be adding it also. I will mention too that the thermostats are very cheap and/or getting some heat soak from the walls or something as I like it cold (we keep house set to 74) and anytime they read below 83 on a warm day it is very cool everywhere in the toy hauler for me.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #19
Starfleetmarj

air not cooling enough

We have a 2016 Fuzion 371 and we found the a/c units both had issues with the hvac tape not holding the foam divider wall in place that separates the cooling air from the intake air. We installed our own tape to hold it in place. This helped tremendously.
We asked the RV repair place to 'fix it' when we had it in for service and they supposedly did but we found they had done nothing to the foam divider and they replaced the interior cover backwards so no intake air was even coming in. We fixed it ourselves and it works much better now....
We have never camped where the weather is over 90 so not sure if any of the duct taping is not working. But on an 85 degree day, it stays cool at 74 where we set it.
Starfleetmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #20
lonewolftx

Wink Me too. . .

My 2016 F420 has the same issue. I asked to install a third one in the central area but they told me after the fact it wasn’t built to support an AC unit in the center. Now most of the Houston dealers are now ordering with 3 ACs as Texas, like Florida, is hot and humid 9 months or more of the year. Just have to go north in June, July, August, & September. Gezzzzzz.

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote