Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
GrumpyG

Need Pricing Advice for Resale

I need some advice. Not posting in the classifieds section just yet, until I hear from some of you seasoned folks.

I have a 2015 Keystone Elite 23RB. It has been used exactly one week on a solo camping trip 20 miles from my home base. MSRP on these things is meaningless. When I bought it, I shopped around several dealers for price and ended up paying $23K, not counting tax, tag, etc.

I added the following to the camper:

Power Tongue Jack
Weight Distribution Hitch
Slide Room Topper
Upgraded Porcelain Toilet
Steady-Fast Stabilization System
Maxxair MaxxFan Deluxe w/remote
Progressive Industries EMS w/Surge Protection

The camper has spent its life in an enclosed garage built specifically for that purpose. Power has been always on/available. Spent most of its life winterized. When out on its trip last summer, everything got tested pretty well, and A/C needed to be replaced under warranty.

I'm thinking of asking $17K for it, which is $6K less than I paid. not counting the roughly $2.5k worth of add-ons.

Am I being reasonable? I realize I need to take an a$$ beating, but how much?

Any advice will be appreciated.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
meaz93*

First off Google ...NADA RV GUIDE. You will be surprised. I think you asking price is more than fair.
You will find the right buyer whom appreciates the great condition and upgrades you have done, and will get an almost new condition trailer without having to pay tax; prep fees, RV dealer extra fees etc.
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
travelin texans

First off let me say I'm no expert in rv sales!
I do know from experience that once the rear bumper cleared the driveway of the original dealer you lost approximately 25% of the original sales price, it's now 4 to 5 years old, depending on build date, so roughly subtract another 10%. All the add-ons you've done will be great for the next owner & help to sell it, but for the most part ad no value to the rv.
Hopefully you can connect with the right buyer & get your price, but from my experience just selling my 5er I'd bet you'll be lucky to get $12-14k, possibly less.
One word of caution! If listing on Craigslist about 90% of the offers will be a scam, don't fall for them!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
GrumpyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
First off let me say I'm no expert in rv sales!
I do know from experience that once the rear bumper cleared the driveway of the original dealer you lost approximately 25% of the original sales price, it's now 4 to 5 years old, depending on build date, so roughly subtract another 10%. All the add-ons you've done will be great for the next owner & help to sell it, but for the most part ad no value to the rv.
Hopefully you can connect with the right buyer & get your price, but from my experience just selling my 5er I'd bet you'll be lucky to get $12-14k, possibly less.
One word of caution! If listing on Craigslist about 90% of the offers will be a scam, don't fall for them!!!
Thanks... I understand all about the depreciation. Sucks, but it is what it is. If I'm only looking at $12K, I'll buy a small RV lot in FL and park it there. I'd hit the road and live in it full time if not for a houseful of rescue critters.

As far as Craigslist goes, cash only, my place. Come strapped if you wish, 'cause I will be. I was born at night, but not last night.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
gearhead

Travelin Texans is likely about right. At this age I'd figure it's worth about half what you for it.
I don't know where the "sweet spot" is regarding age and sale price.
I do know it's depressing thinking about digging into savings to make a trade.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
GrumpyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Travelin Texans is likely about right. At this age I'd figure it's worth about half what you for it.
I don't know where the "sweet spot" is regarding age and sale price.
I do know it's depressing thinking about digging into savings to make a trade.
Thanks.

I guess I was hoping there was some "Happy Medium" between a new camper and a beat up POS. There was a time when taking care of an asset meant something. Today's "throw-away" culture negates all that.

I suppose I'll have to just sit on it until the right person comes along. Fortunately, the thing is paid for and the only cost is an semi-annual insurance payment.

Appreciate all the input.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
IMASAP

So start at 17 and see what bites you get. Couldn't hurt.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote