Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
jgr

Older trailers

I am finding that rv parks are restricting trailers over 10 years old with out even seeing them i try to stay up on any problems my trailer look great any one else having this problem.
jgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

They are and for a good reason IMO.

I've been in several RV parks this fall/winter/spring and I think all have had that rule. How it is enforced is sort of willy nilly. The point I think is to keep the park from looking like a junkyard or a camp of ne'er do wells. A good objective. It is becoming prevalent I think because folks are buying up junk and then trying to land in an RV park and live in it. Maybe it's the financial times, maybe they're down on their luck....I don't know, but I can tell you that I've seen them come in with the belly material and wiring dragging the ground, blue tarps wrapped on the roof, windows boarded up with plywood or broken - the list is virtually endless-it's terrible.

Now, do all 10 year old RVs look like that or deserve to be refused? I don't think so. I've seen some really nice older trailers come in....not many, but some. I think those should be able to stay. The first time I contacted this particular park I was given the rules but, I hadn't even bought it yet and told them it would be new...no problem. If that had not been the case they said I could provide a picture...and I've been told that more than once. So, I'm thinking when they ask and you tell them the truth just advise that it is in great shape and you would like to provide a picture. Long but I hope it helped.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

My son and his family lost everything in the Paradise fire here in Ca last year. A church in Washington donated a 1987 Alpine 5th wheel for them to live in. The exterior was in fairly good shape and they ran into the same roadblocks. Sent pics and did find a place in Nevada so it can be done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

One of my winter stops in AL;
No units under 28'
No units over 10 years old no exceptions
No travel trailers

Notice the length eliminates class B MHs without mentioning them.
Class A, class C, and 5ers only.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
One of my winter stops in AL;
No units under 28'
No units over 10 years old no exceptions
No travel trailers

Notice the length eliminates class B MHs without mentioning them.
Class A, class C, and 5ers only.
I guess our 19.5' TT just wouldn't feel welcome.

Too or from somewhere we stayed at a nice campground in Winchester VA.
They were hosting a gathering of Newmar MH's and boy did our little TT look out of place but we were welcomed by the CG and the conventioneers alike.
Good time.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:14 AM   #6
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I guess our 19.5' TT just wouldn't feel welcome.

Too or from somewhere we stayed at a nice campground in Winchester VA.

They were hosting a gathering of Newmar MH's and boy did our little TT look out of place but we were welcomed by the CG and the conventioneers alike.

Good time.

They stay full all year too. It is an overnight on our way to from a place we go at times . Reservations are made a year in advance.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
Northofu1

I have never been asked what my trailer is. I am only one season in, but,,,,
I like the national, provincial, state parks. If I want a one nighter, Walmart it is.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
Carrottop

Seems like there are some holes in there rules. If you were to take a 2009 40+ foot class A diesel pusher that is in good shape its value is more than a brand new 5th wheel (well some of them). We stayed in a campground in Vegas called the Oasis and they had a similar policy when we had our 36' class a Holiday rambler it was only 5 years old at the time but they still came out and had a look at the exterior. I agree with the policy but 10years seems a little extreme, there are some very nice units that are 10 years old. But at the end of the day it is not my park nor my money so they can set whatever policy they would like. With the popularity of RV'ing they can certainly get away with this and usually there will be somebody right behind the people they turn away to fill a spot.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
Seems like there are some holes in there rules. If you were to take a 2009 40+ foot class A diesel pusher that is in good shape its value is more than a brand new 5th wheel (well some of them). We stayed in a campground in Vegas called the Oasis and they had a similar policy when we had our 36' class a Holiday rambler it was only 5 years old at the time but they still came out and had a look at the exterior. I agree with the policy but 10years seems a little extreme, there are some very nice units that are 10 years old. But at the end of the day it is not my park nor my money so they can set whatever policy they would like. With the popularity of RV'ing they can certainly get away with this and usually there will be somebody right behind the people they turn away to fill a spot.
Agreed... Check this one out. It is a 2007 VERY high end Diesel pusher, selling for $165k right now. That is more than just about any 5th wheel + DRW TV brand new (excluding some of the rare super lux models). They are saying this beaut wouldn't be allowed? That seems perplexing.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...MIT-5006879197
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

1st time I was told that rule was about 1992. Also learned about some will not allow truck campers at all. Here there are many public owned parks that will not have that rule. As said the private parks will make their own rules.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several "exclusive RV resorts" in the "touristy parts" of northern Michigan. One, located in Petoskey, restricts RV's to "flat front" motorhomes, longer than 30' and newer than 10 years old. No other RV's are permitted, lot rentals start at $40 a night, but most owners buy their space, build patio/bungalow kitchens, etc. Lots start at around $100K and go up from there. A 'Marsh view" lot is the cheapest, if you think about it, where do mosquitos prefer to live? Tells you all you need to know about who buys in the "Marsh view" area..... https://www.reservehg.com/faq.asp

Another, in Traverse City, is now called Traverse Bay RV Resort, was previously named "The Airstream Resort" (or something close to that) and was, when first built, restricted to Airstream RV's, both motorhomes and trailers. They have eased up on the restrictions, but it's still "exclusive". They have a "mixed area" that allows fifth wheels, class A and C motorhomes, must be longer than 28' and no older than 10 years. The remaining sites are reserved for "luxury motorhomes and "owner maintained bungalows". Lots for sale in the Fifth wheel/A&C area start around $50K and go up from there.

Thinking about it, if I were to spend that kind of money on a small concrete pad to park my trailer, chances are, if I could afford that kind of property, I'd have a sizeable investment in the RV as well. I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money and be parked next to "the Grizwald's"..... http://traversebayrv.com/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote