Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Swolter

Stabilizer jacks chassis ground

Keystone hideout 29bks 2018
The rear stabilizer jacks most of the time don’t work and if it starts working it moves really slow .
Has same results if using the 12 volt battery onboard ( which load tested good )
Plugged into shore power doesn’t help , also when plugged into tow vehicle has same results .
The front stabilizer jacks work great .
The 12 volt side going into the up and down switch tested good and was switching the 12 volts to the electric motor .
Tried jumping the resettable breaker located next to motor ( no change )
I think the problem lies in the ground wire going into the rocker switch . Question is where is the chassis ground located at for the rear stabilizer jack motor ? The camper has an enclosed underbelly and didn’t want to remove the panels to find out there is a common chassis ground located at the converter or upfront by the 12 volt battery
The rear jacks when they do decide to work it is very slow extending or retracting through the whole range of motion even before the pads touch the ground .
Thanks for the help and enjoy your thanks giving
Swolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Being a 2018 isn't it still under warranty? Just guessing but sounds like a couple possabilities. My switch is in the aluminum"J" channel so I can see the wiring if I lay on the ground. Check for 12 volts at the switch while operating. If voltage is low check for corrosion. If that's ok then it could be mechanically binding or the motor could be defective.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Swolter

The stabilizer switch is in the rocker panel , it has 12 volts going into switch and it switches 12 volts going out ,
I wanted to check corison on the ground wire for the switch , just wasn’t sure where ground wire was technically bolted to chassis at .
Yes the camper is under warranty , it’s just seems to be fixed right if I do it myself , the dealer took over two months to replace the awning that was tore when we did the walk through .
Swolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You should be able to visualize two wires coming out of the stabilizer motor. One is +12VDC and the other is ground. If you connect a "known good ground" to the motor ground wire, you can determine if the "chassis ground is intact" because that "test connection" is going to have the same ground potential as the chassis ground. If the jack motor works with the temporary test ground, start looking for a ground problem. If the jack motor exhibits the same "slowness and lack of power" with the test ground connected, then it's not the chassis ground issue that you suspect and you need to troubleshoot other possibilities. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Just a suggestion but you may want to log a call to the dealer. If it's the motor they can be costly.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks