Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
C.LeeNick

Battery issues/questions...

When we purchased our brand-new 2019 Passport, the dealer installed a single new Interstate battery for the "house" battery.

Last fall, when the dealership had the trailer for over a month (another long story I've already related...it wasn't supposed to take a month) installing the heated/enclosed underbelly, they allowed the battery to go stone cold dead. I know this because I needed to get some gear from the trailer for a road trip my wife and I took in September, and I checked. At the time, I brought it to the attention of the dealership, given that everything I've ever read or heard on the subject told me that letting a deep cycle battery go totally dead is a "no no".

Their parts and service manager told me that letting them go dead like that was NOT an issue, and wouldn't harm anything unless the battery froze. This is, of course, 100% contrary to what I've ever read or been told. However, I've learned since purchasing the trailer that the dealership has this "We know more than you do about RV's" attitude, and arguing with them doesn't help. I was still pretty sure the battery would be compromised.

In the meantime, I re-arranged things and added a second battery.

Lo and behold...in February we took our first real long "boondocking" trip, two weeks and no campgrounds/RV parks. We used our brand new Harbor Freight inverter/generator (And it operated flawlessly), and paid attention to keeping the batteries charged, we found that the batteries would not stay charged..in fact, by the end of the trip, a fully charged battery bank wouldn't last a day...even while we were away from the trailer and left nothing on. The "phantom" loads would draw the bank from "Good" to "Empty" in maybe 6-8 hours.

I suspected the battery that the dealership installed, and allowed to go dead last fall, was the culprit, and playing around with the battery bank confirmed: The trailer would "last" longer on the single battery I added than it would on either the single original battery, or with both batteries put together. Apparently the compromised "Interstate" battery was dragging the whole bank down.

Now comes the fun part! I returned the "Interstate" battery to the RV dealership that installed it, as it is still under warranty, and they said they had to charge and test it. Well, they had it 5 days and still couldn't give me an answer on the status of the battery. Emails and calls to Interstate were useless. They merely referred me to an "Interstate Battery Distributor", which was 170 miles away, and said "They would be able to answer all my questions." I called them, and was told they could answer NONE of my questions, because they didn't have the battery in front of them. I was done emailing Interstate at that point and called them. They called the RV dealership that had the battery, and reported back to me that the dealership needed more time to continue charging and testing the battery, and that I needed to be patient. After 5 days? I don't know of any battery test that takes 5 days.

Anyhoo, tired of waiting and finding the hassle I went through with Interstate to be totally unacceptable, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a second battery and installed it. I've only ever had to return a battery under warranty maybe two or three times in my life, and Wal-Mart has always replaced them on the spot. That's the main reason I buy Wal-Mart batteries. Wal-Mart is everywhere, and they don't give me a hassle with warranty issues.

Anyone else ever experience such a thing with Interstate Batteries? They advertise all sorts of reliability and customer service, but in my case it was decidedly lacking. I mean, if I were on an RV trip and needed warranty service, would I want to mess around with them for days while they make a decision, and give me the runaround in the meantime?

I'm curious about other's experiences. Thanks for reading.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I've used Interstate batteries in my boats for years and NEVER had any dealer "need 5 days" to check a battery. Every time I've returned a "bad battery" it's been checked, load tested and replaced within 10 minutes of the service department getting their hands on the battery. I don't count standing in line, waiting for a service writer to fill out the paperwork as part of the battery testing time.

My guess is that your dealership is broken. Find another Interstate battery dealer (AutoZone often carries them and Advance Auto Parts is an exclusive Interstate battery dealer) and go there. You don't need to rely on a "broken dealership" for anything but a dose of frustration. Avoid them when you can and certainly remember how they treat you when you start looking for a replacement RV in a few years !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
C.LeeNick

I suspect you are probably right. It's the dealership. They were, of course, quick to sell me the trailer, but they've been slow as molasses to provide any kind of service. I won't be buying another RV from them.

I have a buddy in California who reports he's had good luck with Interstate batteries as well, but he buys them at Costco. Quick service probably has far more to do with the point of purchase retailer than the manufacturer.

However, I was still disappointed in Interstate Corporate's response. It would appear they have no say in how their dealers handle issues. I would have thought they would have stepped in and resolved the issue, rather than kicking it back to the dealer. It's been two days since I talked to Interstate directly.

What's more, I don't blame Interstate for a poor quality battery. I believe the battery would have been just fine had the dealer not allowed it to go totally dead for who knows how long (probably a couple weeks at least) last September. I'm pretty sure that's the root of the issue. Now I know to take the batteries out when I drop the RV off for service, unless the problem is specifically battery related.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Canonman

Gotta agree with John about the dealership being broken. Our OEM batteries failed within the 1st summer of use. I tested them both with a VOM and a hydrometer. Tests took about 15 minutes to confirm which of the two batteries was bad. Took it to the dealer for replacement. "We'll need a couple of days to test it" per the service writer. Called them on the second day and they confirmed the battery was defective and provided the replacement. Not perfect, (that would have meant that they immediately test the battery and provide the replacement then and there) but better than 5+ days and no replacement. I'd suggest a call/meeting with the general manager or owner just to let them know they have service issues. I've found the owner dealer relationship is paramount to getting any work done in a timely and fair manner. When the service manager knows you, and that you are willing to go to the GM or owner, he'll make sure the service guys pay a little more attention to the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3295.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	20567  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Have to agree with the others - the dealership service dept. is broken and I would be front and center with the service manager and GM/owner so they could physically show me what kinds of tests they perform that take 5 days....or if they just don't care, don't know or incompetent.

When I bought this trailer it had one battery.....how long it had been on it or where it came from I don't know (it was a new trailer). I had them add a 2nd but never looked at it before taking it away (nothing to installing a battery, right?). After having some electrical issues (12v) I inspected the batteries. The 2nd "new" battery looked like it was 30 years old and covered with oil/grease/crud. I finally determined that the "new" 2nd battery was faulty and had been cannibalizing the good battery from the time I took the trailer (it sat in storage most of the time except for one trip) which had caused both batteries to be defective.

I replaced both with Interstates and have had no problems since (about 4 years?). As far as Interstate themselves, I've not had any issues; I've used them on my vehicles, RVs and boats. Originally I dealt with the Interstate dealer about 60 miles away but he finally advised me to get them from Costco because they sold them cheaper than the Interstate store could. He did give me a good discount so they were close. Went to Costco the last time I needed a boat battery and they didn't carry that size so......

I've never taken a battery back for warranty so I don't know how they would be about that. I figure it's easier on me and my health to just buy another battery and forget the hassle of trying to get someone to honor a warranty on one but to each his own. So from my perspective and experience I still like Interstates but they are sometimes hard to find in an out of the way place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
C.LeeNick

Am I right in thinking that the dealership allowing the battery to go dead and leaving it that way for a while could compromise the battery?
Old 03-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
jforrest

I've used interstate batteries in the past. You would be better off installing 2 Trojan 105 or 125 6 volt batteries. Will provide great power for longer time.
jforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Canonman

Most information I've read allows several discharge/recharge cycles for both automotive as well as "deep cycle" RV batteries. If your battery was an Interstate deep cycle RV battery it should't have caused a failure on it's own. Batteries are marked with the date of manufacture and most times with the install date as well. Might have been sitting around at the dealer from last season before they installed it on your trailer. Might have just been a defective battery. I wasn't particularly happy with the brand X batteries installed on our Cougar, but since we replaced the defective one they've held up fine for 3 seasons. All batteries have a finite lifespan based on the number of discharge/recharge cycles they go through. That's why it's recommended to not allow the battery to fully discharge.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.LeeNick View Post
Am I right in thinking that the dealership allowing the battery to go dead and leaving it that way for a while could compromise the battery?
I think anyone would agree with you that "allowing the battery to go dead and leaving it that way" is more than likely to be the cause of the battery failure....

That said, the decision wouldn't be whether the dead battery caused the failure, but rather "SHOULD BE" whether it is the owner's responsibility to protect the battery or the dealership's responsibility to protect the battery. If it were mine and I knew the trailer would be sitting for more than a couple of days at the dealership, I'd either disconnect the batteries at the terminals or I'd remove the batteries and take them home.

I suppose it's "sort of like" putting your trailer in extended storage. Is the battery condition the responsibility of the storage facility or is it the owner's responsibility?????

To me, I couldn't blame the dealership for a flat tire from sitting for 2 weeks and I would think the battery discharge (a known issue with all trailers) is similar, not the dealer's problem....

Now, if I dropped the trailer off in the morning, expecting to pick it up that afternoon and the dealership called to tell me it would be 3 weeks before it was ready, I'd either return to protect the batteries or tell the dealership that they need to disconnect them to prevent them from being damaged.

If I just dropped it off, forgot about the batteries, I wouldn't blame the dealership if they were damaged from my failure to protect them.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think anyone would agree with you that "allowing the battery to go dead and leaving it that way" is more than likely to be the cause of the battery failure....

That said, the decision wouldn't be whether the dead battery caused the failure, but rather "SHOULD BE" whether it is the owner's responsibility to protect the battery or the dealership's responsibility to protect the battery. If it were mine and I knew the trailer would be sitting for more than a couple of days at the dealership, I'd either disconnect the batteries at the terminals or I'd remove the batteries and take them home.

I suppose it's "sort of like" putting your trailer in extended storage. Is the battery condition the responsibility of the storage facility or is it the owner's responsibility?????

To me, I couldn't blame the dealership for a flat tire from sitting for 2 weeks and I would think the battery discharge (a known issue with all trailers) is similar, not the dealer's problem....

Now, if I dropped the trailer off in the morning, expecting to pick it up that afternoon and the dealership called to tell me it would be 3 weeks before it was ready, I'd either return to protect the batteries or tell the dealership that they need to disconnect them to prevent them from being damaged.

If I just dropped it off, forgot about the batteries, I wouldn't blame the dealership if they were damaged from my failure to protect them.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.
I would tend to agree if I knew it was going to be there a long time, except it was the dealership that took a one week job and turned it into a 5-6 week job, day by day and week by week. I never had a firm finish date, except that I was told they already had the materials to do it and it "wouldn't take too long" and was told to leave everything in it, it would be fine. After several weeks, I got tired of calling them, and ended up getting Keystone involved. The dealership knew the trailer was there, and they knew the battery was in it, and I even notified them that the battery was dead immediately upon finding out it was, and was told by their service manager that the battery being dead would not harm it unless the battery froze. I knew that was baloney, but there was no sense in arguing with him.

So I'm putting it on the dealer. They are the supposed "experts." But I have learned that their service after the sale is lacking and not to trust them.

Anyhoo, after 6 days, they called and said the battery was bad, and I could come pick up a new battery. I did, but I'm not installing it in the battery bank on the trailer. I might carry it around in a battery box as a spare, though.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
kksfish

I purchase all my batteries for the boat, RV, cars, truck and tractor from COSTCO..
They don’t Pro-rate the amount of the battery in the event I need to return a bad one even three years old ! And they have never questioned or tested a return....
Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
Roscommon48

as for your dealer, it was BS. but interstate was correct, they can't make a decision without a battery.

But I do like walmart batteries, they are easy to exchange. but right now I have 2 interstate batteries that are doing well.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #13
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
I purchase all my batteries for the boat, RV, cars, truck and tractor from COSTCO..
They don’t Pro-rate the amount of the battery in the event I need to return a bad one even three years old ! And they have never questioned or tested a return....
I've heard good things about Costco. An RV'ing buddy of mine buys his Interstate batteries there. Unfortunately, we don't have one in our town. We have Sam's Club, but no Costco.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
as for your dealer, it was BS. but interstate was correct, they can't make a decision without a battery.

But I do like walmart batteries, they are easy to exchange. but right now I have 2 interstate batteries that are doing well.
Warranty service means a lot. Particularly if you are traveling. I like that I can go into any Walmart and get warranty service, no questions asked. I keep my receipts in the same blue pouch all the paperwork for the trailer came in.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #15
travelin texans

The best way to ruin a new battery is to pair with an old dead one.
NEVER mix old with new!! If you have 2, buy 2! If you have 6, buy 6!
And yes your dealership owes you a battery! From this point forward they wouldn't be my dealer & if you don't get a battery from them they would be getting a boat load of free advertising, not the kind they would prefer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #16
bbells

First, the batteries dealers install are not real deep cycle batteries. They are hybrids between starting batteries and deep cycle - Even though they say deep cycle on them. As anyone who fishes can tell you, the fake deep cycle batteries can last anywhere from 6 moths to a year and a half. A true deep cycle battery can last years, if not a decade. A real deep cycle 12v battery weighs well over 100 pounds - That is why the lighter fake deep cycles are so popular. That being said, your dealer would have been kind of right if you had a real deep cycle battery in your trailer. But, since you don't have a real deep cycle battery it wrecked your battery. Batteries Plus has true deep cycle 12v batteries for about $279. They also hold 2-3 times the number of amp hours that the dealer provided batteries have. It is not worth your while to use a marine battery or fake deep cycle battery in your trailer. If it says CCA anywhere on the battery it isn't deep cycle. If it doesn't weigh over 100 pounds it isn't 12v deep cycle.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #17
WestCoastWanderer

I have nothing but good things to say about the Interstate battery warranty program. I have had an Interstate battery go bad and I returned it with my receipt to a local Interstate battery distributor. In ten minutes I had a new battery with a new 12 month warranty. Too easy.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #18
tomd

Like you the dealer ran my battery down. You may get away with it without damage, but if you added a second battery then as mentioned, it is likely out of balance and if you're lucky the good battery will charge, and the bad battery will never come up to full capacity. Here are lessons I learned:
1) When you drop off trailer, you can be SURE they will fully discharge the battery. I disconnected mine entirely after learning that lesson.

2) Dealers are not so smart: a) they attempted to charge my battery, but didn't think to turn on the battery switch-- so two days of charging did absolutely nothing b) they connected the parallel batteries incorrectly, while voltage was correct the wrong connection meant that one battery did not fully charge correctly.
3) Per other posts: you probably need a new battery. If you want to try to save them I suggest you FULLY charge each battery separately into the equalization levels (all 6 cells in your 12v battery) will equalize, then do the second battery. Then try to use them as a pair. Be sure properly connect them in parallel. Forget getting help from dealer, they will not be able to solve it, except for getting credit for the battery they damaged.
good luck
Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #19
tomd

Additional information (my 5th wheel was not correctly done and my 2nd battery never charged correcly) so check:
Proper parallel connection:

Connect Bat 1 + terminal to Bat 2 + terminal

Connect Bat 1 - terminal to Bat 2 - terminal
at this point batteries are tied together, and you get 12V but double the amp-hrs. Most get above part right, but really important:
Connect Bat 1 ++ to Load ++
Connect Bat 2 -- to Load --, and ground, return for all your 12V.
The above makes both your batteries charge/discharge equally in parallel. If one battery is connected directly to load - and + then the second battery will not fully support your loads. Same with charging connection. use + of bat1, use - of Bat 2 when in parallel. I was able to save my batteries by fully charging and then correctly wiring the pair, despite dealer discharging them, and incorrect wiring.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #20
DonnieBlitz

Batteries

Alrighty, here goes ! First off read what this man has to say: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

Then after you understand that go to this site: http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

Between these two sites all your questions will be answered! These 2 sites were wonderful! So wonderful that.......

I'm building a 458 amp battery bank using 4 6volt Trojan SSIG 06 255's . After I get them installed I will install my Tri-Meteric battery monitor to see how many amps we actually use.
DonnieBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery