Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
bware454

Two new recalls on our 2018 Impact

We got a phone call today from our dealer about two new recalls on our 2018 Impact 330. One concerns the brakes and one concerns the furnace. No emails, nothing on the Keystone site yet. They said we could bring it in on 10/19/18 and they will do the repairs while we wait.
I hope it is not a long wait, we are heading out again on 10/21
1968 Serro Scotty Hilander (sold)
bware454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I hope you made that abundantly clear or you may be in for a surprise.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
jst4fn

I got the furnace recall from Keystone in a letter last week. Seems the exhaust tube gets too hot so the fix is to put a fiberglass tube around it. Takes about 15 minutes to fix it. I called my dealer to see if I could do it myself and he told me they had to do it and if it was not done Keystone would flag the DMV and I would not be able to get new license plate tags when they are due. I've never heard of a dealer being able to do that even with automobiles and I don't believe it.
jst4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:01 AM   #4
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hope you made that abundantly clear or you may be in for a surprise.....
I had a good chuckle over that statement!

As for the "flagging the DMV" thing..I've not heard of that either, and I've had a LOT of dealings with the DMV on a LOT of vehicles. Not sure I'm buying it, particularly over a furnace that has nothing at all to do with vehicle operation. I don't think the DMV cares if our heaters work correctly.

I seriously doubt Keystone can even know for sure where anyone has their RV registered at any given time, so which state or country would they "flag"?

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had that experience.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
bob91yj

I'm in the car business. The only registration renewal issues I've encountered with recalls in CA relate to emissions recalls, other wise, at least CA, could care less.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst4fn View Post
I got the furnace recall from Keystone in a letter last week. Seems the exhaust tube gets too hot so the fix is to put a fiberglass tube around it. Takes about 15 minutes to fix it. I called my dealer to see if I could do it myself and he told me they had to do it and if it was not done Keystone would flag the DMV and I would not be able to get new license plate tags when they are due. I've never heard of a dealer being able to do that even with automobiles and I don't believe it.
I believe the recall is for wiring getting to close. Any recall has to be performed by an authorized service center as there is forms that have to be filled out, and often times photos.

Never heard of any RV maker “flagging” the DMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Call it "postulation", "speculation" or maybe even "WAGGING" (Wild A** Guessing), but I'd suspect that if there is a "governmental mandated recall" then the manufacturer would have a requirement to report the progress of the recall to that governmental agency. That's probably in percent complete, percent remaining, percent notified, etc. As for my Cougar, Keystone wouldn't have a clue whether it's registered in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin or even Utah ??? So there's no earthly way they could "flag the DMV" not to renew my registration because they haven't "fixed my heater"..... Orwellian rumor at its best.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
bware454

chuckster57 and jst4fn were right, a fiberglass sock over the furnace exhaust and a piece of wire loom over the wires to the brakes. They did it while we waited, only about 20 minutes. Luckily our dealer is only a half hour away!
1968 Serro Scotty Hilander (sold)
bware454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
HIDE-EE

I’m a tech at a GM dealer and my experience is DMV will hold registration( in ca) for autos if emissions recalls are not complete. Not sure about safety. The dealer has to close the field action and that gets reported to DMV. Also my dealer can get records of vehicles in our area with open recalls(I don’t know how,it’s above my pay grade) so we can send them letters or call to try and seclude them to come get the cars fixed. So if big brother knows where our vechiles are registered then keystone can also get that info
HIDE-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
rsv4pilot

How could dangling wires be unsafe?

I thought it was pretty amazing that the brake wires were just dangling from the coroplast on my Fuzion 371. Of course I found it amazing that the coroplast wasn't supported in the middle of the trailer and full of water but who am I to wonder about how these are constructed. $10 worth of aluminum channel and self taping screws and everything us tucked up nice and tidy now.

Not to mention the staple sticking down out of the sofa slide and digging into the floor when the slide retracts.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
MattHelm21

I’m not sure the best route to take but I just confirmed my Fuzion is affected by the brake recall. Can the topic of this thread be modified to include the Fuzion for other owners of this model or is it best to start a new thread(it is the same recall for both models). I can confirm the brake wiring recall is up on the Keystone site. Here is a link:

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...wiring-web.pdf

Naturally I just completed winterizing. I contacted my dealer who is ok with me bringing the trailer in in the spring and also mentioned I could wait while the work was completed.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
MattHelm21

Resurrecting an old thread. Just got home from having the brake recall fix done. In an out while I waited. Only way it could have been easier would have been not to have had to go.