Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 AM   #1
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

The Dreaded Winter

All I can do during winter is take the 20 minute drive every 2-3 weeks and visit my trailer in storage. All I do at the trailer is a visual check of everything and top up the peppermint oil which has worked great btw, no signs of the dreaded mice. Question, I'm taking my 22rbs in for a recall fix in May. What other things should I have them look at or service after the first season of use and the 5-6 months of storage?
You guys with big driveways and mild winters have it made.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
notanlines

Robert, your statement "I'm taking my 22rbs in for a recall fix in May" should set off alarms from every angle. In Ontario you will have just entered into weather for which you wait an entire winter. I would not be leaving my pride and joy for them to keep until the middle of August for fixing a small list of problems. I might be exaggerating in this case, but forums are full of instances where this has been the case. Why not have it fixed in March? And what is the recall item?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #3
busterbrown

Jim is right. Why not utilize the off season to take care of that recall and fix what needs to be fixed. My selling dealer told me that his busiest time to service RVs is late spring and early summer when people begin using their coaches after a long winter's nap. And they stay busy for the remainder of the summer. It makes sense. The "dead" of winter is probably the best time of the year to have problems remedied. Don't be stuck in line on a dealers lot come camping season as the service departments are busting at the seams. Instead, enjoy your short Canadian camping summers, well...camping!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:07 AM   #4
TLB

Good advise from the both of you. Why wait until you want to use it when it is just sitting there.
If conditions are good and they have an opening take advantage of the slower time to have it checked.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Robert,

The only open recall I find on your trailer is the Kidde Fire Extinguisher recall. If that's the one you're taking it in to have completed, you can do that yourself and just stop by the dealership for them to "clear the paperwork". No need to let them keep it for weeks (or even days) during their busy season and for you to lose the potential camping time.

That said, if you have the tools and mechanical ability, if it hasn't been done, I'd pull the wheels, inspect the brakes and repack the wheel bearings. While the trailer is being worked on, a good "underside inspection" of the coroplast security, springs, shackles, equalizer as well as inspection of all the outriggers, slide components and all welds under the trailer. Then check all windows and moldings for proper sealing and no evidence of leaks, climb on the roof and inspect all the sealant, roof components, vents, A/C and skylights. While up there, pay attention to the TV antenna and make sure, if it's a Winegard, to seal the boot over the coax entry and spray silicone into the capped hole (to lubricate the O-ring seals on the crank assembly.

It's my opinion (we all have one) that if you take your trailer to a dealer (any dealer) during their busiest time of the year and expect them to take the time to "check everything closely" you're probably going to pay for something you don't get. With the service manager insisting that the techs "stay on schedule" and "hurry up, push that out", chances are very good that all you'll get for your money is a "quick squirt of lube into the EZ Lube hubs, a tire pressure check and a quick fire extinguisher inspection. Those are all things that you'd probably do much better and certainly more thoroughly than any "hurry up and move it out" mentality at a dealership.....

You may not be able to do the work, if so, scheduling it to be done at a dealership when they are so busy they can hardly keep up is not the "best thought out scheduling".... YMMV.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #6
travelin texans

Anyone that owns a rv must be somewhat of a handyman, if left up to a dealership to do annual maintenance or to fix every little item, warranty or not, will only cause lots of lost valuable camping time. You'll find that any place that fellow rvers gather there will at least one that will offer to help do most any repair you'll need to make & if not ask here, there's tons of knowledgeable folks that have done whatever it may be.
If you do have warranty items that you are unable to do yourself then all the above advice is correct, do it while you have no plans if using it anytime soon. Be sure the dealer has an absolute date it WILL be done & don't just drop it off & wait by the phone, they won't call you. Give them a reasonable amount of time then call, or better yet go by, to check on their progress.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Steveo57

Probably the recall to fix the heater?

If you can't do it I'd have them check the roof over good and seal up any questionable areas. And do a good inspection for any other leaks around windows, doors, hatches, etc.

IMO if you haven't found any leaks it's because your not looking hard enough!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

It was a recall about furnace wiring that needs to be encased in a heat proof tube. Those wires are very close to something hot and can cause failure. Its a quick fix. I have an appointment in early May at the dealer to fix that and anything else I might need or want done. We camp first time of season at the end of May. It's not easy to bring it now with it being in storage. Too much work. No battery, covers on the AC and tires, on extra jacks, stuff just placed inside that needs to be removed, not to mention the weather up here is not ideal for towing. Way easier to do this when I open it up in May.
Thanks guys.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
"hurry up and move it out" mentality at a dealership.....
This is so true.

I am a GM dealership body/paint tech and this happens all the time when dealing with warranty claims and insurance companies telling you when a vehicle is to be completed.

If you don't have time to fix it right the first time, you really don't have time to fix it a second time.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I'm handy enough and have done a few fix-ups. The looking at seals and lubricating things I did before storage and will do again in May. It's difficult with a trailer in storage to do things. When I winterized last Oct. I had to bring my generator, compressor, etc. I'm now thinking of things like having the brakes inspected/adjusted, bearings repacked, as JRTJH suggested. These things I'm not set up to do so I will include that in the May at the dealer.
Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #11
ADQ K9

I am basically doing the same thing, check the exterior of my trailer only its a few blocks away.
Last year I was able to get it in in April for a recall and the dealer only had it a day My challenge is keeping the snow cleared away from the fence gates and trailer to move it if needed,
This April I am planning on doing some modifications and making our first trip of the year
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #12
capnkirk4

We took ours in for a AC recall and got it back the next day.
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter