Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Failing water pressure regulator

Sitting here waiting for DW to get ready to go, again , thought I would bring this topic up for discussion and/or thoughts to while away a Saturday.

Moved into this site on the first. From the gitgo I had very low pressure (18psi by the regulator gauge - I did not check with my normal water pressure gauge - the pressure would not adjust at all by the adjustment screw). Having used the regulator several times previously it had worked flawlessly so did not suspect it. Also figured since the place had been under water after the hurricane that the water system had been compromised in some way so didn't worry.

After checking water coming out of a different spigot I determined that the pressure should be more so I pulled my regulator off and I had plenty of water pressure. Removed the regulator and I've been running without it with plenty of pressure assuming my regulator had decided to quit. Got to thinking about it and now I'm wondering...…

I had always connected the regulator to the spigot using a little hose extension (5-6") like you get with the little blue water filters at Walmart with no issues. At this location, for whatever reason, I decided to install the regulator straight to the spigot. This spigot has a screw on hose bibb backflow preventer. If I recall those preventers have a little tip that stick out inside the outlet. When I installed the regulator it seemed difficult to get the threads to mesh so I pushed up on it pretty hard to get it going then tightened with a crescent wrench - then the low pressure.

Upon removal of the regulator and subsequent inspection the only thing I could see was that the mesh debris screen was mashed backward instead of a cone protruding into the spigot outlet. I disassembled the regulator and found no issues (although it may never work again after my doing so). I have not put it back on using the hose extension to see if it will work; I've ordered another one and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

My question would be if the mesh screen pushing up into the mouth of the backflow preventer would have caused it to reduce pressure by pushing on the little pin. I've never had that issue but it seems like the only logical explanation after thinking about it. I tried to find a diagram/schematic of the internals of a hose bib backflow preventer to no avail so figured I would just throw that out there for conversation and possible enlightenment for anyone that hasn't yet encountered the situation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
meaz93*

I had one of these I bought like 4yrs ago on a clearance rack at an RV parts store in AZ.
Was pretty excited that it was only 5-6 bucks.
Everytime I hooked it up it would not even let water pass through?
I tried it several times when camping, but to no avail.
Finally I too took it apart and disected ....could find any problems with it!?
I do remember the mesh grill being pressed in as well?, yet no calcium build up etc.
I finally just took it apart and salvaged the pressure gauge.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_103650.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	19564
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
I had one of these I bought like 4yrs ago on a clearance rack at an RV parts store in AZ.
Was pretty excited that it was only 5-6 bucks.
Everytime I hooked it up it would not even let water pass through?
I tried it several times when camping, but to no avail.
Finally I too took it apart and disected ....could find any problems with it!?
I do remember the mesh grill being pressed in as well?, yet no calcium build up etc.
I finally just took it apart and salvaged the pressure gauge.Attachment 19564
This is NOT a regulator, it's a restrictor which restricts the flow to reduce the pressure regardless of the incoming pressure from the spigot.
If the park pressure is less than your preset on your regulator there's nothing you can do by readjusting the regulator to increase the pressure, the regulator will reduce the pressure to your preset but will never increase it.
If the incoming is very low you're better off filling your fresh water tank & using your pump, it's usually set at somewhere around 40-45 psi.
I've also had problems with the back flow preventer on park spigotss, just remove either the mesh screen or the preventer, I usually remove the preventer & put it back when I leave, as it tends to also restrict the flow.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

This is the regulator I have and it has worked fine until this little episode. It was working perfectly, set at 50psi, when we left the last site on 12/1, drove 3 hours to this location, set up then had 18 psi after I hooked it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-Adj...travel+trailer
Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Logan X

It seems reasonable that if you had to use a wrench to tighten something that is supposed to be hand tight, and then it stopped working, using the wrench might have been the issue.

I had never heard of using the hose extension in conjunction with the pressure regulator. That is a good idea, I’m going to try it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
meaz93*

Than it was doing its job-lol
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is the regulator I have and it has worked fine until this little episode. It was working perfectly, set at 50psi, when we left the last site on 12/1, drove 3 hours to this location, set up then had 18 psi after I hooked it up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yep! That's a "regulator"!!
If by chance it is bad you can get a better quality from "Watts regulators" on line, in some models they're cheaper than the rv specific ones.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
This is NOT a regulator, it's a restrictor which restricts the flow to reduce the pressure regardless of the incoming pressure from the spigot.
If the park pressure is less than your preset on your regulator there's nothing you can do by readjusting the regulator to increase the pressure, the regulator will reduce the pressure to your preset but will never increase it.
If the incoming is very low you're better off filling your fresh water tank & using your pump, it's usually set at somewhere around 40-45 psi.
I've also had problems with the back flow preventer on park spigotss, just remove either the mesh screen or the preventer, I usually remove the preventer & put it back when I leave, as it tends to also restrict the flow.
Yes, I know it won't increase pressure. And, just by guestimating the pressure after removing the regulator, I'm sure it is 50psi or more - which is what I had it set at when we left the last campground. Without the regulator the pressure is more than adequate. Are the problems you've had with the preventers similar to what we are experiencing. I probably should have just removed the screen instead of tearing the thing apart....but, you know how curiousity killed the cat. - and still don't fully understand how that thing works after dismantling it.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
travelin texans

Yes replacing the screen with a regular washer helped, but as I said if you can easily remove the preventer would be best.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
bobbecky

I had one of those Valterra adjustable regulators a couple years ago, and it finally stopped regulating the pressure, as it would slowly creep up in pressure, way above what is was set at. I also was using those short white hoses between the hose bib and the regulator, but got tired of having to replace them because the fittings would come off due to the pressure. I finally got a 12" water heater reinforced flex hose and a quality Watts regulator, along with fittings to work with hose connectors. This has worked very well regardless of what pressure the water is in a park, and we've been in some with well over 100 psi. I also have a screen between the hose and the regulator to keep larger crud from causing issues. I have the pressure gauge in the convenience center so I can monitor the pressure. When we are at locations with very poor water pressure, we just flip on the water pump, and can take our showers just fine, and leave the city water connected when using the pump, just have to fill the tank occasionally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose_regulator_filter.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	19565  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

From what I've seen of the vacuum breaks (backflow preventer) is that protrusion is a shaft that guides a plunger. It works like an old style faucet. Pressure will open it and the absence of pressure on the supply side and a negative pressure, or pressure on the delivery side greater than the supply side will close it. My guess would be the screen pushed in the pin and either bent it or it pushed in to the point where corrosion has is partially stuck. I'd remove the backflow device and connect direct to the spigot before replacing the regulator.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
bobbecky

Most of the time, these little backflow preventers that are attached to the hose bibs are required by local health authorities and are locked on with a breakaway screw to prevent removal. When they fail, most of the time the hose bib must be replaced. We've talked to maintenance people in several parks about these, and they say city or county health officials will come in and check all the hose bibs for having these in place, and will fine the park for any missing.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, I think the county requires them here. I would not want to remove it because I might forget to replace it and you should see the "stuff" in this park (RV wise). The hurricane has brought so many "worker bees" in to do debris removal, highway rebuilding, home rebuilding etc. - they're everywhere in here and most are just old trailers that some contractor picked up somewhere, placed them here and sent his workers to stay in them; they have not a clue about an RV. The folks next to us are in an old Springdale 5th wheel with a blue tarp on the front corner; 3 folks in it and none know one thing about an RV. The trailer has 2 dump ports and they only hooked up one - but had no clue about the pull handles. DW asked one of the ladies the other morning about the lack of a 2nd sewer hose of which she had no idea, but did say that the toilet would not work and the shower was stopped up. They had been putting all kinds of chemicals in it and running a "big" snake through the lines and in the toilet along with a plunger...in fact she said she thought the snake was still in the toilet! Took her out last night to show her what was what (they get up at 5, leave at 6 and return at 8pm so have no time to try to get it done) but they haven't done anything today. Went to the nearest Walmart because I was just going to buy the stuff for them but they did not carry any Ys to connect the sewer hoses so didn't buy them the additional parts. Gave her a list and told her there was a CW in Tallahassee but I don't think they have had time to try to get there. I have no idea how many times that sort of thing is playing out around here. It's great to see so many in to try to put things back together but sad to see what some of the living conditions are. Of course, when I was younger I would have thought it was an adventure, then again, this lady is 74.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-Adj...travel+trailer

I just want to note on the above regulator in case anyone is inclined to buy it:

It said it was American made. I received an email after purchase from U.S. Solid advising this was a new product, wanted a review and went on to say they were a small midwestern company trying to fight the big box stores so I got it. Here's their email:

"Dear Danny,
Thank you for purchasing our new Water Pressure Regulator with a Gauge. This is a new product, and we want to be sure that our customers are pleased with their purchase. Has it met your expectations? Do you have any further questions? Our customer support is here to help you with any issues, and we would love to hear from you. We work hard to make the customer happy! Feel free to contact us by responding to this email so we can alleviate any concerns, or improve our product in the future.

As a small company based in Cleveland, Ohio we rely on customer feedback to help us do our jobs better. Product reviews help us meet your needs, and are an important part of the shopping experience for everyone on Amazon. They help level the playing field between small, Midwestern companies like us, and giant box store competitors."

When the regulator failed I sent them a lengthy email to describe the failure so they could log that in the event there was some sort of manufacturing issue. The reply came back from "Rong" at 1:57am if I recall. English wasn't so spiffy. I looked them up and seems they are an international company making all kinds of stuff. My 2nd email said I smelled a rat (as far as the small midwestern company tale went). The next reply came in the middle of the night again and said they would replace the regulator and send me shipping info; which they did.

All that to say I don't think you can trust this company. The product seemed to work well but I can't deal with someone that spins the yarn they did and then find out they come out of Bangladesh or ???? So, beware.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #15
Javi

As a note, I always use a brass coupling to connect the regulator to the faucet... they are available at most hardware stores and come in 90 degree and 45 degree.. I carry several of each in my trailer. They come in handy.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #16
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post

I had never heard of using the hose extension in conjunction with the pressure regulator. That is a good idea, I’m going to try it.
Ditto!
What a great idea. Too bad I threw the little extension away when I discarded the water filter. I won't make that mostake again.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure