Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
megamile

Landing gear problems

I own a 2017 Keystone Hideout 315RDTS. Happy mostly with unit but since March have landing gear problems. Took trl to Camping World Kingston NY when gear ground and locked up; turned out that bolt that secured motorized leg was not properly tightened before Keystone painted assembly and leg slid up in bracket. Extended warranty refused coverage; said it was an adjustment and not a warranty issue. Now 3 months later legs are in proper position; motor whirrs; gear stay in place and won't move, loaded or not. Looking to find out brand of gear and/or troubleshooting. Gear are in proper place in brackets and motor turns. I suspect something about gearbox, but Keystone did not provide hand crank or hole to fit one so I can't raise or lower gear manually.
Anyone have ideas?
megamile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
66joej

Used to have a 5er and do remember there are shear pins (grade 5 bolts) that sometimes break and give the symptoms you have. Do a search on here and you will get lots of answers.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamile View Post
I own a 2017 Keystone Hideout 315RDTS. Happy mostly with unit but since March have landing gear problems. Took trl to Camping World Kingston NY when gear ground and locked up; turned out that bolt that secured motorized leg was not properly tightened before Keystone painted assembly and leg slid up in bracket. Extended warranty refused coverage; said it was an adjustment and not a warranty issue. Now 3 months later legs are in proper position; motor whirrs; gear stay in place and won't move, loaded or not. Looking to find out brand of gear and/or troubleshooting. Gear are in proper place in brackets and motor turns. I suspect something about gearbox, but Keystone did not provide hand crank or hole to fit one so I can't raise or lower gear manually.
Anyone have ideas?
I have coach net extended warranty it's garbage . I was told it only covers mechanical that would be 4 motors on my impact .The crank for front lending gear had to be ground and slotted to fit the motor shaft . I found this out by performing a P M .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:43 AM   #4
notanlines

Joe is probably on to what your problem might be. Your motor should be mounted on the curb side of the RV with a 6' shaft running across the front of the RV to the leg/gear on the street side. Where that shaft mounts to the street side box there is a 1/4 shear pin located there that can be problematic. I would not go with grade 5, simply use a 1/4 inch by 2" bolt with nylock nut. You may have to stand on your head and use your bare feet to get to this, depending on your particular rig.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:04 AM   #5
mazboy

push the warranty issue now even if over the warranty issue. if necessary push to have the legs replaced.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Phdruss

experienced a similar problem on my Springdale when new. There are two bolts that go through the 6 foot horizontal shaft that attach near each set of legs. These bolts are designed to snap first (a safety precaution to protect the gears). Furthermore on the driver side propane storage area, there should be a hole (behind propane bottle, may have to remove bottle) to access the manual drive for the landing gear. Mine came with a handle to operate.
Phdruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
megamile

Setup is completely reverse of what you describe; motor is on street side. Went to Camping World Conway NH. They diagnosed bad actuator and replaced gear; worked once with no noise. Now still works but grinds and bangs very loudly.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
megamile

No hole; no crank. Bolts on cross shaft are solid. Nowhere on gearbox to mount a crank. Tech said not all have hand cranks...

Tags
landing gear