Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2023, 05:59 AM   #1
Manto

Adding an Inverter

Hi all,
Just bought a 2022 Hideout 179RB and am brand new to trailer ownership. When I asked about how the solar works, the dealership folks said that the "solar was all set up for us." I learned after getting it home that the Solarflex 200 package will not power any outlets in the trailer without an inverter.

Now I'm shopping for an inverter basically just to charge phones or a laptop, and run a TV. Can't seem to find recommendations on types other than what's sold from the dealership (and I'd rather not give them more money).

This one seems to fit our needs. Can anyone confirm if this would work with the Solarflex Prep: Renogy 1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave off GRID Solar Home Use Solar Inverter 1000 Watt Power Battery Converter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230617-085744.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	44275  
Manto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Once you determine how many watts you need, then look for an Inverter with an automatic internal transfer switch also known as PASS THROUGH. that way you can put a remote panel inside the coach to turn it on/off and you won't have to buy a transfer switch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 10:48 AM   #3
Manto

Appreciate the tip! I've noticed other threads mentioning to ensure it has a "pass-through", too.

This'll sound stupid, but what would be the difference between having a remote panel and transfer switch? What is it needed for? (I've tried looking up on product descriptions but I just can't seem to find a simple explanation)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:03 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Also, consider the limitations imposed by your current SolarFlex system and your current battery pack. Most dealerships "throw in" a cheap GP24 Marine/RV battery which stores barely enough power to run your lights and refrigerator (if it's a gas/electric model) on gas through the night...

So, if you have a "too small battery" and only a 200 watt solar panel, you won't find much "useful functional power" from the installation of a relatively expensive 1000 watt inverter. You'll probably find that halfway through a movie, the TV goes off, the refrigerator "fault light" illuminates and the water pump won't work.....

So, don't "focus on adding an expensive inverter" if the rest of your system won't support it properly..... All you'll be doing is moving the "weakest link" from not having 120 volt outlet power to not having enough battery to power those outlets.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Transfer switch "picks" the input source. External would require more wiring. The remote panel will allow you to turn the inverter on/off from inside the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:31 PM   #6
mike95776

I had the same needs and just bought a 400 watt inverter that plugs in the kitchen 12volt power port . KISS
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:41 AM   #7
Manto

Appreciate the responses.

Sounds like I'd want to consider adding 2nd battery if I'm going to install an inverter. And probably a 2000w inverter if I want to be able to use the microwave or tv off grid.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:59 AM   #8
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manto View Post

Sounds like I'd want to consider adding 2nd battery if I'm going to install an inverter. And probably a 2000w inverter if I want to be able to use the microwave or tv off grid.
A second battery is a must have for any dry camping beyond just overnight.
Using the microwave will drain even a dual battery set up very quickly but the stove top won't drain batteries at all
TV's on the other hand are very efficient. A couple hours in the evening won't be any problem at all.
There are "overhead" power draws to any inverter and the larger the inverter the higher the overhead draws. If you plan to use the M/W then a 2k watt inverter is needed. Just the TV and phone/laptop chargers will need less than a 1k watt inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	44310  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 05:51 AM   #9
440scout

There are plenty of choices for inverters on Amazon. But, make sure its a "pure sine wave" inverter because they work great with sensitive electronics. Donnot get a modified sine wave inverter like most of the ones harbor freight sells. An Aims pure sine wave 1200 watt inverter with automatic transfer switch is what I installed to feed one of the 15 amp circuits that powers the outlet for the TV and several other outlets in that area. It can easily power the TV and several phone chargers at the same time. Probably a low wattage coffee percolator separately but definitely not a microwave. The reason for the remote switch is so you can turn it on or off from the inside of your camper. And having an automatic transfer switch wired to one of the circuits should eliminate extension cord trip hazzards. 2000 watt inverters are available with automatic transfer switches, too. Many of them include a remote panel and some remote panels will have a display that shows battery status. Most inverters include installation instructions and recommendations on wire thickness size, go with the thickest recommended wire size for less voltage loss and in case you upsize the inverter later on.
Your 200 watt solar system should provide about 10 amps charge, but with 2 batteries, thats about 5 amps to each battery. Adding another 200 watts will get you the 400 watts that most people on the forums recommend.
440scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 06:32 AM   #10
peanut

Quote:
Hi all,
I learned after getting it home that the Solarflex 200 package will not power any outlets in the trailer without an inverter.

Now I'm shopping for an inverter basically just to charge phones or a laptop, and run a TV.
Don't forget that adding a hardwired inverter w/ pass thru will mean running wires from them to the power center. Not impossible but not easy (in fact, probably a PITA) and not cheap.

The inverter you have selected is overkill for what you say you want. If all you want to do is charge cell phones, laptops, or use the television it would be much, much simpler AND cheaper to just get a 300W inverter for $40 - $50 and plug it into a 12V outlet like Mike in post #6 mentions. A 300W inverter would do those items easily.
https://www.amazon.com/300Watt-Inver...-1004293264712

Quote:

You will not be able to use a microwave even with a 2000W inverter. You would need, at minimum, a 3000W inverter for it to be able to handle the recurrent start up surges that a conventional microwave uses. Even with a larger inverter, the micro would drain a small battery bank very quickly.

I have the 400i solar package with the 2000W inverter (Xantrex inverter - a well regarded, top notch brand). Even with it, Keystone did not wire the microwave outlet into the inverted system and I could not run the microwave unless plugged into shore power.

I wanted off-grid micro power so I modded the microwave plug. The television and micro plugs are back to back on my trailer. The television plug is on the inverted system (usable off-grid). I pig-tailed off the television plug to the microwave plug so it was also hot while the inverter was running.

Even with power to it (with no shore power) the microwave still would not run for more than 3-4 seconds before tripping a breaker. Not even at 50% power. I solved that by removing the OEM microwave and installing an inverter microwave. The new micro will run off-grid. I have tested it for 4 minutes at 70% and 80% power and it purred along just fine. I would not use it for anything but a few minutes a few time a day to reheat something or it would drain the battery too quickly (and I have 200ah of lithium). But it will work for what I want it for.

BTW - - I have a brand new, never been used Furrion micro for sale if anyone needs/wants it.

P.S. - - one last thing. I just checked the Keystone website for your trailer and it looks like you have a 12V refrigerator. Off grid, a small battery bank and a single 200W solar panel will be working hard to keep the refrigerator working. Personally, before worrying about an inverter, I would be thinking of adding more solar panels and a larger (much larger?) battery bank - - if I was planning any serious off-grid camping.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 05:10 PM   #11
hlh1

I'm looking to run the TV and DVD player off an inverter. It would also be nice to power all the existing 110vac outlets off the inverter, but these would only be used for charging phones and PC at night. I figure I only need a 1000w inverter. I would want a pure sine wave unit for electronics. How would I make this work with my TT? I'm also a bit confused about "pass through", and if I would need this. I have 2, 6 volt, GF2 200ah batteries on the TT.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:22 PM   #12
440scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlh1 View Post
I'm looking to run the TV and DVD player off an inverter. It would also be nice to power all the existing 110vac outlets off the inverter, but these would only be used for charging phones and PC at night. I figure I only need a 1000w inverter. I would want a pure sine wave unit for electronics. How would I make this work with my TT? I'm also a bit confused about "pass through", and if I would need this. I have 2, 6 volt, GF2 200ah batteries on the TT.
Pass through is for example, you are watching TV while on inverter and your shorepower gets plugged in, since the inverter has a builtin automatic transfer switch, it senses shore power and automatically disconnects from inverted battery power to shore power. At that point the inverter is in pass through mode.The automatic transfer is usually seamless and the person watching TV doesn't see any changes on the TV, not even a flicker. Or if you loose shore power the automatic transfer switch senses it and starts inverting battery power to supply it's designated receptacles. I used an Aims 1200 watt inverter with ATS to power only one 15 amp circuit. But first I had to find which circuit powered the TV and the charging ports. As it turned out, that one 15 amp circuit powered the TV and 4 other receptacles. Before that I used a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter that plugged into a 12 volt receptacle to power a 24" TV and DVD player at the same time to watch movies and it worked fine. But later I found that I needed some other receptacles powered so that's when I installed the Aims inverter. Its been working fine for over 5 years.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:33 AM   #13
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440scout View Post
Pass through is for example, you are watching TV while on inverter and your shorepower gets plugged in, since the inverter has a builtin automatic transfer switch, it senses shore power and automatically disconnects from inverted battery power to shore power. At that point the inverter is in pass through mode.The automatic transfer is usually seamless and the person watching TV doesn't see any changes on the TV, not even a flicker. Or if you loose shore power the automatic transfer switch senses it and starts inverting battery power to supply it's designated receptacles. I used an Aims 1200 watt inverter with ATS to power only one 15 amp circuit. But first I had to find which circuit powered the TV and the charging ports. As it turned out, that one 15 amp circuit powered the TV and 4 other receptacles. Before that I used a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter that plugged into a 12 volt receptacle to power a 24" TV and DVD player at the same time to watch movies and it worked fine. But later I found that I needed some other receptacles powered so that's when I installed the Aims inverter. Its been working fine for over 5 years.

So with this "pass through" feature I can connect the TV circuit to the inverter and it's all "automatic". Sounds good. "Pass through" and "automatic transfer" are the same thing?

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/AIMS-POWER-PW...4-dc28e6d374b3
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 05:09 AM   #14
440scout

Pass through is a benefit of having an automatic transfer switch, you won't have to deal with plugging and unplugging extension cords. Fyi, those types of inverters usually come with a remote switch to turn it on/off. If you get one of these inverters, I suggest you mount the remote inside the camper, possibly near the tanks monitoring panel. You will want to shut off the inverter when traveling or when you store your camper because some inverters can pull several amps of power even if its not powering anything. Some Renogy inverters have an automatic eco mode so if its on and the appliances it supplies are shut off, it pulls very little power. Also the inverter should be installed close to the batteries but out of the weather, possibly inside the front storage compartment. I saw a Renogy 1000 watt inverter with remote switch on Amazon that had good reviews. The video shows how to connect it to the batteries but it doesn't show how to connect it to one of the circuits in the circuit breaker panel. I recommend watching some YouTube videos about installing it, read the reviews and read through the questions people post about it. Of course you could read about the installing them on this forum, too. Maybe look in the mods section.

Tags
inverter