Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2023, 09:51 AM   #1
Dac

Exterior kitchen

Hi everybody
My first post, I have a 2019 Springdale SG 272 FWRE and it has a exterior small kitchen. I am looking for a new hatch to make it a large kitchen with cupboards sink fridge. I'm having a hard time trying to find a large hatch door. Thanks for your help. Thanks for your time, Dave
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

welcome to the forum

First thing is to figure out if you even can expand the kitchen. Do you know whats behind it?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 04:20 PM   #3
Dac

Hi Chuckster57
There's a void above my small exterior kitchen. If you go inside and remove the paneling behind the TV it's completely empty back there. Wasted space probably 5 foot by 4 ft. In front of the void they put a little 2x2 wall up to hang the TV on from the inside.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:32 PM   #4
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac View Post
I'm having a hard time trying to find a large hatch door.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-compartment-doors/?limit=100

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:15 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Not to discourage your ideas, but most RV manufacturers have stopped making outdoor kitchens with the large access door that becomes a "patio cover" when in the open or up position. They were "all the rage" several years ago, then, with extended use, what seemed like a great idea, became a big repair issue.

Seems the gas struts needed to hole the door in the "awning position" and keep it from moving when the wind blew, were too strong for the aluminum framework of the door. Trying to close them put a lot of stress on the frame and they started buckling at the gas strut mounting points.

Do your "homework" with whatever door you want to use and make sure that it will have a frame sturdy enough to support itself when you're using the new kitchen and stable enough to not vibrate and leak when traveling down the road during a rainstorm.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:23 PM   #6
Dac

Thanks for the heads up JRTJH. It's hard to believe nobody likes the outside kitchens. Keeps the inside of the camper clean. Easy to clean after dinner outside. We have a few couples that have outside kitchens and they're great. Knock on wood. No problem yet. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:51 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac View Post
Thanks for the heads up JRTJH. It's hard to believe nobody likes the outside kitchens. Keeps the inside of the camper clean. Easy to clean after dinner outside. We have a few couples that have outside kitchens and they're great. Knock on wood. No problem yet. Thanks for all the advice.
I think it's either a love it or hate it sort of thing. Ours is the large outside kitchen with a 2 burner stove that pivots from under the sink. There's a bumper mount grill mount that swivels out and creates a galley style kitchen. We keep the food for that meal in the outside fridge along with drinks. It keeps the trips inside to a minimum and the doors closed to keep the conditioned air inside.

After we bought this unit I had concerns after reading about folks having issue with the door/strut mounts that John mentioned. Here's my experience and hypothesis. On our unit that large door can stick to the door gasket and if you try to open it from one side you can bend the door significantly opening it. I've watch others open and close them from one side and you can see the door flex.

First off, I keep that door gasket clean and treated to reduce adhesion. Second thing was that I installed finger latches on the lock and two thumb latches on the door. When I open the hatch door I pull on the 2 outermost finger pulls. That will put even pressure on the door when opening. I place my hands at the same orientation when pulling it closed. In both directions I use a slow, even motion.

The gas struts were getting weak about 3 years ago so I ordered replacements on Amazon using the specs written on the struts. I checked the screws on the strut brakes and they were all still secure. None of the screws required adjustment. This is what worked for me. I should preface this with saying I'm not the guy that grabs the BFH first thing when something doesn't move or slam a door when it doesn't close. I like to find out WHY there's an issue and correct it.

This is my experience, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote