Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Mckenziebl

2013 Montana High Country

I am having problems leveling up this rig. (Front to rear). If I am on the slightest incline I cannot lift it up enough to level or if the incline is the other way, I cannot lower it enough. I use a 6 inch block under the landing gear. It appears that the landing gear struts are too short. Any suggestions? I am looking at buying a new tow truck but am concerned with how much higher they are. The bed is about 3-4 inches higher than my current one. Anyone had any experience with this higher bed?
Mckenziebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The landing gear motor drive has about a 10" travel. The way to get more "distance" to raise the gear is to retract the motorized travel UP into the trailer, lower the feet and repin them. Then use the motorized part to raise the RV.

To get more "DOWN" travel, extend the motorized part, then lower the pinned extensions and then use the motorized part to "retract" the landing gear.

Most of us "start" about 3 or 4 inches below the upper limit, sort of "in the middle" for most applications, but adjust from there for any special location or special needs.

Use caution not to retract or extend the motorized part to the "full up" or "full down" position as "bogging down the motor" in either direction will usually blow the fuse. That fuse not only protects the motor from burning up, it also protects the gear drive assembly from damage. Locate your fuse before you start working at or near either extreme as you're likely to blow it and need to replace it.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

On my front landing jacks there is a spring-loaded pin that, when removed, allows the inner portion of the jack to slide up and down, so you can make it "longer or shorter". Before you lower or raise the 5th wheel, do you make any adjustments like this by extending the inner portion of the jack?

Before unhooking, I often run a few inches of the landing gear out (depending upon the incline), pull the pin on the jack, lowering it to just above the block/pad, re-insert the pin and then extend the jacks using the motor.

You should also be able to make adjustments in your hitch to raise or lower it. In your case you might need to lower it but make sure that there will still be enough clearance between the truck bed rail and the 5ver. There should be approx. 6" clearance.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
gearhead

Assuming you have the Lippert auto leveling, according to their manual, drop 5-6 inches of the legs using the spring loaded pins. When you re-insert the pin be sure it goes all they way through. You will be able to feel a little of it on the "back" side. Push the "Drop Front Jacks" button. Then use the "Auto Level" button.
I wouldn't be using blocks unless they are about 12 x 12 inches square. If the trailer shifts and rolls a little and falls off the 6 inch tall blocks you are going to have a serious issue of damage or getting it high enough to hitch.
http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...l_3_owners.pdf
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
Mckenziebl

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Will keep working on this.
Mckenziebl is offline   Reply With Quote