Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
shiloh55

Question dual batteries in cougar x-lite 27rks

My cougar 5er only has room for one battery in the battery compartment. I would like to install two Trojan 6v batteries but there isn't enough room for two. I was thinking of removing the wood panel on the side of the compartment (only held on with four screws)and build another box that extends into the storage area that could hold the second battery. It would block the storage compartment opening to the left of the battery compartment by about six inches, which would be acceptable to me. Has anyone attempted this kind of mod?
Thanks
shiloh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

we installed a double battery box in the front compartment on the curb side, removed the battery and wiring from the existing battery compartment. I installed a piece of pressure treated 1/2" plywood, sealed the edges with black silicone and covered it with some of the "cheap" walmart roll carpeting from the auto supply section glued to the plywood. I installed a lock on the lower twist lock and use that compartment to store my tools. They are handy and with the plywood floor, they stay dry.

The only thing in that cabinet other than the battery is the remote "brain" and now it's protected from the weather.

With the new dual 6V battery box, I drilled a 1/2" hole through the bulkhead between the existing battery box and the new location and ran the positive battery cable through that hole to the existing 30amp circuit breakers.

So far I haven't installed a vent line from the battery box to the existing vent, so I used duct tape to cover the back of the existing vent so the compartment remains water tight.

I can take pictures tomorrow if you need to see more of how I did it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I recall seeing posts associated with adding additional batteries to their rigs including building additional battery rack(s). May want to do a search on say batteries
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
shiloh55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
we installed a double battery box in the front compartment on the curb side, removed the battery and wiring from the existing battery compartment. I installed a piece of pressure treated 1/2" plywood, sealed the edges with black silicone and covered it with some of the "cheap" walmart roll carpeting from the auto supply section glued to the plywood. I installed a lock on the lower twist lock and use that compartment to store my tools. They are handy and with the plywood floor, they stay dry.

The only thing in that cabinet other than the battery is the remote "brain" and now it's protected from the weather.

With the new dual 6V battery box, I drilled a 1/2" hole through the bulkhead between the existing battery box and the new location and ran the positive battery cable through that hole to the existing 30amp circuit breakers.

So far I haven't installed a vent line from the battery box to the existing vent, so I used duct tape to cover the back of the existing vent so the compartment remains water tight.

I would appreciate the pictures if not to much trouble. The only reason I wanted to use the side compartment was the ease of removing the plywood side panel and I would not have to re-vent the batteries since the new compartment would be open to the old, and it is vented to the outside at the bottom. I will take a look at the front compartment though as you suggested. thanks..
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
shiloh55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
I recall seeing posts associated with adding additional batteries to their rigs including building additional battery rack(s). May want to do a search on say batteries
I couldn't find any info on adding batteries to my specific rig. Some rigs have room for another battery or the shape or configuration of the battery compartment is different.
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh55 View Post
I would appreciate the pictures if not to much trouble. The only reason I wanted to use the side compartment was the ease of removing the plywood side panel and I would not have to re-vent the batteries since the new compartment would be open to the old, and it is vented to the outside at the bottom. I will take a look at the front compartment though as you suggested. thanks..
Here are the pictures of what I did. It may help you decide what will work best for your application....

In the first two you can see the plywood, covered with the "felt like carpet" from WalMart, the rear molding I cut to seal the small gap, and the wiring from the batteries in the front compartment.

In the third, you can see the plywood from underneath the coach. I plan to seal that with spray undercoating, but haven't got it finished yet.

In the fourth, the battery box as seen in the front compartment. Excuse the mess, we just got back from a 2 week trip and haven't got things "reorganized" yet.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0621.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	6210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0622.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	6211   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0623.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	6212   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0624.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	6213  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
shiloh55

Wow, That looks great. I think I'll go with your suggestion. I like the idea of using the old location for storage. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
RedOne

NIce! I might have to do this mod...
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
sdizzyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I did the same thing to my 27BHS except I also put a plywood bulkhead in the old compartment to protect the 'Remote Brain' from the tools and blocks I put in it.
sdizzyday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6v batteries, dual batteries, rep 1 battery with 2