Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
TandE

How do you decide where to DRY camp?

Pretty simple question i guess but how do you guys find some remote places to take your trailer to go camping? The wife and I want to get out and use our 5er more but like most places around the US campgrounds get full especially for holidays and weekends in the Summertime. It would be nice to get out away from everyone from time to time.

I guess the real problem is I really dont know where to begin to look. So how did you find your remote Dry camping spot?
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
HappyCamperMN

Do you mean designated campgrounds that are partially or completely "tent" sites (aka no water / sewer / electric)?

Or do you mean sites that are just "a place to camp out in the wilderness"?

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
TandE

Out in the wilderness.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't speak for Washington state, but in Michigan, the DNR program allows for "non-established campground use" provided the selected site (any place not in a designated campground) is at least 1 mile from an established campground and the camper posts the required information at the campsite. There is a pre-printed form available at all DNR offices to post the information. There is no cost (yet) to camp in an "undesignated campsite" and DNR does expect you to leave the site as clean as you found it. We regularly scout areas where we think we'd like to "berry pick", "mushroom hunt", fish, hunt or just "get away". Usually our "scouting" is done without the trailer in tow. As we 4 wheel through the state forests, national forests and public land, we make mental notes of "good places to drag the trailer". Once we're back home, we mark them on our maps and if the situation arises to want to return, we've got "undesignated campsites" mapped out that we can consider.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I can't speak for Washington state, but in Michigan, the DNR program allows for "non-established campground use" provided the selected site (any place not in a designated campground) is at least 1 mile from an established campground and the camper posts the required information at the campsite. There is a pre-printed form available at all DNR offices to post the information. There is no cost (yet) to camp in an "undesignated campsite" and DNR does expect you to leave the site as clean as you found it. We regularly scout areas where we think we'd like to "berry pick", "mushroom hunt", fish, hunt or just "get away". Usually our "scouting" is done without the trailer in tow. As we 4 wheel through the state forests, national forests and public land, we make mental notes of "good places to drag the trailer". Once we're back home, we mark them on our maps and if the situation arises to want to return, we've got "undesignated campsites" mapped out that we can consider.

The dnr lands for camping near me all seem to be only accessible by foot. And you need a pass at $30 a year which isn't bad but with all the passes you need in this state gets confusing. Looks as though I need to start driving and exploring to figure out what land is what and what is required to stay there.

There are a few places that I know of that have big openings but the only problem is that those are widely known and used for shooting. While I don't mind that, it would be nice to possibly be in a quiet secluded area but I may be expecting too much.

Travis
Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

One good source of information to start your search is the Oregon Department of Forestry: http://www.oregon.gov/odf/pages/index.aspx

Do a search for "Dispersed camping". I just did and found about 40 pages of information on "wilderness camping" in many of the individual state forest areas. Their program is somewhat different from the Michigan program, but wilderness camping is available. Now, which ones would be suitable for your purposes, that's up to you. But the resources are available, you'll just need to find some areas and "go check them out".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
x96mnn

My method is I go where I grew up. I am fortunate to know the area very well and pick spots were there is no trouble. Living on an Island plus a mainland surrounded by water there are plenty of beaches people know little about, or prefer not to go to because of the sand or drop offs.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Look at national forest and BLM land. Most have fairly decent road/trails that can get you back off the beaten path a bit and then you just find a clearing along the side of the road where you can pull in. These spots are used heavily by deer/elk hunters and usually have things like rock fire pits already set up.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
hankaye

TandE, Howdy;

Her's a good place to start, links to BLM, USFS, Bureau of Reclamation and
others that all fall under the Dept.of Interior.
http://www.recreation.gov/
also, DeLorme sells map books that show who runs what as far as land goes
by the State ;
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...6&beginIndex=0

These I'd use for rough recon work, then get a better map from the governing agency.
Those will show in more detail the trails and roads that you may or may not use,
all explained in the maps directions and legends.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:55 AM   #10
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One good source of information to start your search is the Oregon Department of Forestry: http://www.oregon.gov/odf/pages/index.aspx

Do a search for "Dispersed camping". I just did and found about 40 pages of information on "wilderness camping" in many of the individual state forest areas. Their program is somewhat different from the Michigan program, but wilderness camping is available. Now, which ones would be suitable for your purposes, that's up to you. But the resources are available, you'll just need to find some areas and "go check them out".......

Thanks for that. While I am in Washington state that term dispersed camping helps tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Look at national forest and BLM land. Most have fairly decent road/trails that can get you back off the beaten path a bit and then you just find a clearing along the side of the road where you can pull in. These spots are used heavily by deer/elk hunters and usually have things like rock fire pits already set up.

I have been down a few roads like this but as I said previously they are frequently visited by people who are shooting or even 4 wheeling. While that's not a problem for me it would be nice to be secluded but that may be asking for too much. I know I could probably find places farther away from home but the reason for trying this out is close jaunts for the weekend to use our trailer more without spending as much or driving as much to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
TandE, Howdy;

Her's a good place to start, links to BLM, USFS, Bureau of Reclamation and
others that all fall under the Dept.of Interior.
http://www.recreation.gov/
also, DeLorme sells map books that show who runs what as far as land goes
by the State ;

These I'd use for rough recon work, then get a better map from the governing agency.
Those will show in more detail the trails and roads that you may or may not use,
all explained in the maps directions and legends.

hankaye

Thanks for those links and again while I am in Washington it help quite a bit. Looks like I will pick one up and research some more.

Travis
Old 08-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
Lee

Travis,

I live south of you and can only speak in reference to where I dry camp.

There are "ooddels" of dry camping opportunities along Hwy 410 from Chinook pass east to Naches. Any one of the many Forest Service roads has dry camp sites. These are first-come-first-serve no fee sites on National Forest land.... but there is also DNR land sprinkled in there you can camp on also that requires the Discovery Pass.

Up your way I don't have any experience. I would just take a drive onto FS land for a look-see as I suspect it would be similar.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
TandE

Yes I have been looking on google maps where I usually go snowmobiling in the winter to get a general idea of where to go as there are some turn offs I haven't been down. Only problem is that some of these areas are being used by logging companies so I have to figure that out too. Don't really want to start driving up with the 5er and end up having to back down a single lane dirt road.

Travis