Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
TG10894

Eaz Lift Sway Control

The directions for my Eaz Lift Sway control bar describe the top handle as an On-Off feature (ie, loosen to back or remove, and tighten until bottomed out when putting in service), and the lower nut as the actual tension adjustment. Question - With the lower nut in the factory preset condition, tightening the upper on-off handle until fully bottomed out per the manual is impossible (can't be done by hand). I need some help on a good starting point before making adjustments on the road. i do get wind sway currently and need to improve the control. F150 with a ~5800 lb Keystone Cougar 21RBS
Thanks in advance
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I think your talking about setting the “angle” of the head assembly. If so you use the top thumb screw to the head to a 10-15 degree tilt AWAY from the TV and then the bottom screw is what holds it in place.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I think your talking about setting the “angle” of the head assembly. If so you use the top thumb screw to the head to a 10-15 degree tilt AWAY from the TV and then the bottom screw is what holds it in place.
The sway control for the eaz-lift hitch is a separate friction bar running between the trailer and the vehicle. It doesn’t have anything to do with the angle of the head. I just acquired a trailer with this eas-lift hitch assembly and sway control friction bar and I’m scratching my head over how to set it up. My past hitches have all been Reese dual cam units.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
Carrottop

I don't know much about this product but found the information videos fairly easily. here is the link. To me it looks like you only adjust the top handle, maybe worth a call to them.

https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-videos
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
TG10894

You are correct. Not sure what the angle of the head assembly referred to. The installation tech as the shop gave me bum dope saying to tighten the upper "on-off" nut 4-5 turns until it felt tight. Actually, the lower nut is where the tension should be set and the upper control should be fully tightened until is bottoms out. Says so on the placard on the Ezlift sway bar. The factor preset for the lower nut is pretty tight, but after a few uses I finally got it working pretty well by taking the upper "on-off" nut completely bottomed out with the lower tension adj in about an extra 1/4 turn. I have a 27 foot trailer, and it worked pretty well in gusty winds. If the TV and trailer tend to "stay in a turn" where you have to turn the TV wheel back the other way, it's too tight. I think they call that dog tracking. I may add a second sway for this length of trailer before I go west where the winds could be worse.
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
Carrottop

Here is the instruction book for the sway control. The bottom screw is the brake tension and should be adjusted to control sway. It comes pre-set and they recommend road testing and adjusting by quarter turns. Here is the link for the instruction book.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4b6ff...734f729f00.pdf
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
The sway control for the eaz-lift hitch is a separate friction bar running between the trailer and the vehicle. It doesn’t have anything to do with the angle of the head. I just acquired a trailer with this eas-lift hitch assembly and sway control friction bar and I’m scratching my head over how to set it up. My past hitches have all been Reese dual cam units.
DOH! I just now re read this thread and realized he was talking about the SWAY bar..

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway control