Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
CBears

DC Fridge Use While Towing

I have a 2022 Ford F-250 gasser with the standard alternator that comes with the 7.3 engine. I just purchased a new 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25mle with the 10cf Furrion DC fridge and the 200 solar package. I'm completely new to DC fridges as my prior TT had a propane/electric combo. The dealership told me the combination of the solar package and the TV will keep the TT battery charged and run the refrigerator while towing just fine. Since bringing the trailer home I've seen a couple of posts about TV charging which got me wondering if I was told appropriately or if I need to change/augment something to pull this off. We normally take a couple of 8-9 hour trips during the summer each year.

Thank You in advance!

Curt

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:03 AM   #2
dutchmensport

I don't have a Ford or a Cougar, but I would imagine the truck will keep the battery in the trailer trickle charged just fine to more than adequately run the refrigerator, plus enough power once you reach your destination to run jacks and slides too. From all I've read, those DC operated refrigerators are pretty efficient.

All you can do is load up and go for that trip. If in doubt as to it's functionality, then when you pack-up to "go", stock the refrigerator lightly. Basically, just soft drinks or beer. Let everything run while you drive. Once at your destination, check the refrigerator. If its still good and cold and the battery has a good charge, you are good to go. Now go out and purchase the refrigerated food you need. If the refrigerator is not cold and the battery is depleted, you can connect to shore power and get everything running again. Now go out and do your grocery shopping. This way, you haven't lost any food in the refrigerator.

But, I fell pretty certain you'll have no issues with battery depletion.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:07 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The "charge line" in your truck's 7 pin umbilical wiring is either a 16 gauge or a 14 gauge wire. It does not have a "high amperage carrying capability". The SolarFlex 200 system is a single panel solar array that can usually, on bright days, keep up with the demands of running the refrigerator.

When augmented by the truck charging circuit, there should be enough power to keep the refrigerator operating AND keep the battery charged....

Depending on what else "might be turned on" in the trailer, you could run into a situation where there's not enough power being provided to the battery to replace what is being drawn from the battery....

That "negative drain" probably won't happen during towing, if the rest of the trailer is not being used/powered on.

If I were you, I'd not make any changes to the tow vehicle or the trailer in an attempt to "fix a problem that may not exist".... I'd leave things alone, take your trips next year as planned and see if there's even an issue you need to address. I would have a "backup plan" such as a generator to recharge the trailer battery bank (if you're going to be dry camping), but if you're going to a full hookup site, then the shore power will recharge your battery bank.

After that first long trip, you'll know if you have an issue to address. Until then, I wouldn't spend any money on "fixing something that might not matter".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 12:24 PM   #4
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I don't have a Ford or a Cougar, but I would imagine the truck will keep the battery in the trailer trickle charged just fine to more than adequately run the refrigerator, plus enough power once you reach your destination to run jacks and slides too. From all I've read, those DC operated refrigerators are pretty efficient.

All you can do is load up and go for that trip. If in doubt as to it's functionality, then when you pack-up to "go", stock the refrigerator lightly. Basically, just soft drinks or beer. Let everything run while you drive. Once at your destination, check the refrigerator. If its still good and cold and the battery has a good charge, you are good to go. Now go out and purchase the refrigerated food you need. If the refrigerator is not cold and the battery is depleted, you can connect to shore power and get everything running again. Now go out and do your grocery shopping. This way, you haven't lost any food in the refrigerator.

But, I fell pretty certain you'll have no issues with battery depletion.
Great advice with the exception of one thing. I simply can not have warm beer upon arriving at the campsite.

As always, thank you for the great response.

Old 12-11-2023, 01:19 PM   #5
RollaMo

With our Cougar 24RDS we don't have any issues at all keeping the 12c fridge running while towing.
We do have the SolarFlex 400 system though, so just a little more charging over the 200 system

But I still think you will be fine while towing.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:30 PM   #6
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
With our Cougar 24RDS we don't have any issues at all keeping the 12c fridge running while towing.
We do have the SolarFlex 400 system though, so just a little more charging over the 200 system

But I still think you will be fine while towing.
Thank you for the response. This is great news because it is a part of the reason why we upgraded.

Old 12-11-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Another factor you have to consider in all this is your battery/batteries. A single “typical” RV battery only has so much reserve capacity and may not have enough “depth” to do all you want on long trips, even with the solar and the truck providing power on the road. It “should” be okay, but a cloudy day on the road might add some challenges. If you have one battery, I would suggest adding another. But as John suggested, try a trip with your current setup before you let us spend your money.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:25 PM   #8
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Another factor you have to consider in all this is your battery/batteries. A single “typical” RV battery only has so much reserve capacity and may not have enough “depth” to do all you want on long trips, even with the solar and the truck providing power on the road. It “should” be okay, but a cloudy day on the road might add some challenges. If you have one battery, I would suggest adding another. But as John suggested, try a trip with your current setup before you let us spend your money.
A very good point, and I failed to mention that our trailer has 2 12v lead acid batteries.
Old 12-12-2023, 04:48 AM   #9
CBears

The battery I was given with the TT is only rated for 65 AH. I don’t think it is even a deep cycle. It sounds like I should at least upgrade to a good deep cycle battery if not two.
Old 12-12-2023, 05:14 AM   #10
markcee

Prior to selling our 2020 Cougar, I swapped out the gas absorption fridge for a Norcold 12v. We had no issues keeping the fridge on while traveling and arriving at camp with a full battery (100ah true deep cycle). Our longest drives being approximately 6 hours. This was with no solar, just the charge line from my truck (F350). Having 200w of solar to augment things, I suspect you will have zero issues as well.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 07:57 AM   #11
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Prior to selling our 2020 Cougar, I swapped out the gas absorption fridge for a Norcold 12v. We had no issues keeping the fridge on while traveling and arriving at camp with a full battery (100ah true deep cycle). Our longest drives being approximately 6 hours. This was with no solar, just the charge line from my truck (F350). Having 200w of solar to augment things, I suspect you will have zero issues as well.
I guess I’m back to good news. I’m going to upgrade the battery though. Thank you.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:08 AM   #12
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
The battery I was given with the TT is only rated for 65 AH. I don’t think it is even a deep cycle. It sounds like I should at least upgrade to a good deep cycle battery if not two.
If you boondock at all, the most cost effective and beneficial battery upgrade is a move to a couple of 6v golf cart batteries wired in series. Costco and Sam's Club are often mentioned as an excellent place to source them.

We tend to FHU 'glamp' so just went with a single true deep cycle as an upgrade when the standard dealer issue 'marine/RV' battery failed.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #13
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
If you boondock at all, the most cost effective and beneficial battery upgrade is a move to a couple of 6v golf cart batteries wired in series. Costco and Sam's Club are often mentioned as an excellent place to source them.

We tend to FHU 'glamp' so just went with a single true deep cycle as an upgrade when the standard dealer issue 'marine/RV' battery failed.
Not seeing any boondocking in our future probably. I’m not much into roughing it. Of course if the camp we are at loses power we may not have a choice. I take a predator inverter generator along in case that happens.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:47 AM   #14
HeadHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
I have a 2022 Ford F-250 gasser with the standard alternator that comes with the 7.3 engine. I just purchased a new 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25mle with the 10cf Furrion DC fridge and the 200 solar package. I'm completely new to DC fridges as my prior TT had a propane/electric combo. The dealership told me the combination of the solar package and the TV will keep the TT battery charged and run the refrigerator while towing just fine. Since bringing the trailer home I've seen a couple of posts about TV charging which got me wondering if I was told appropriately or if I need to change/augment something to pull this off. We normally take a couple of 8-9 hour trips during the summer each year.

Thank You in advance!

Curt
I have the same refrigerator and solar as you do and have not had any issues towing all day. The only thing I have to add is we load up the refrigerator with food the night before while on shore power. The food was cold already from the house, and being on shore power allowed the refrigerator to just maintain the temperature. By morning it would be cycling on and off. In addition, you may have noticed that the thermostat has a "range" on the dial to set the temperature when on battery. I've experimented and setting it to the upper "range" seems cold enough to keep the ice in the freezer from melting. Enjoy learning!

Rich & Marilyn
2018 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2023 Keystone Cougar 29RLI 5th wheel
Curt 16E hitch
HeadHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 02:18 PM   #15
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHam View Post
I have the same refrigerator and solar as you do and have not had any issues towing all day. The only thing I have to add is we load up the refrigerator with food the night before while on shore power. The food was cold already from the house, and being on shore power allowed the refrigerator to just maintain the temperature. By morning it would be cycling on and off. In addition, you may have noticed that the thermostat has a "range" on the dial to set the temperature when on battery. I've experimented and setting it to the upper "range" seems cold enough to keep the ice in the freezer from melting. Enjoy learning!
Very cool! Thank you so much for the response!

Tags
fridge, tow, towing