Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
gwbillett

Outside Kitchen Shelf

So lesson learned for me and for anyone else in the future do not place anything heavy on the shelf in your outside kitchen. I placed two 12 packs of soda on the top shelf in our outdoor kitchen thinking they would be ok.... Needless to say I was wrong !!! when we got to the campground and we were setting up I open to the outside kitchen to find the shelf had been pulled down. It was only held up with staples (no surprise). So now I have to take out the bottom pull out shelf with the sink and stove to fix the shelf. Should be an easy job but I was a little disappointed to find that when we got to the camp ground. It only pulled down on the back side. Left and right were fine. I plan on adding some wood glue and a few screws. I though they would have made this shelf a little stronger.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
audio1der

Good to know; thanks for sharing. Sounds like many of us may be living on borrowed time...
i may add some quarter-round trim beneath the edges of the shelf to help support them.
I need to also find a spot to mount the bottle opener my DW bought me for Xmas, which won't rip the wall apart when used LOL
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
dougjoliefrey

I just got my new 2015 308BHS and when I got it home from the dealer the empty mini-fridge had put a hole in the shelf. It's the same material. They certainly did not think about what would happen if you put weight in it. I cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and just laid it across the other shelf to distribute the load. It's worked so far.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
greengiant

Thanks for the heads up. I just noticed last weekend that the cast iron skillet I had in there was giving the shelf a little sag. Will pay closer attention to it now.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
GaryWT

Sorry it happened but I am not surprised. The selves there are most likely made to hold spices, plastic bowls and the like, not heavier items.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:38 AM   #6
robo

Sorry to here but i think u led me to my next mod slide out shelf for pans and spices
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #7
Bob Landry

Plan on rebuilding drawer supports and slides also. Those was the first to go on my trailer, but I'm sure the cast iron didn't help either. Everything is put together with staples. To make it worse, if you look at how the staples are put in, you'l find a lot of places where they are put in with the grain instead of across, making them even easier to pull through the material.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #8
gwbillett

So I fixed my shelf this weekend !!! I pulled out the lower sliding shelf to gain access.... A lot of room once that was out. You just have to undo the water hoses. I pulled out all the staples and added wood screws for every spot there was a staple. That pulled the shelf up tight. I then added a piece of trimmed down scrap oak and placed it under the shelf for added support. I think I'm good now to place what ever on there. If the wood piece was a little thicker than the 1/8 piece in there I don't think it would have been an issue. The front and sides the shelf sits on top

@dougjoliefrey....yeah Mine did the same exact thing. It really helps to place the strap on it. Mine was like when we took delivery though. Well let me back that up and say the front trim piece of wood had a spot where the door hinge bolt had dug in a little. I just let it go, wasn't worth making that much of a fuss to me. I took the fridge out over the weekend and noticed in the back corner where it had cracked the floor almost a hole. I think I'm gonna add a piece of 1/4 plywood down too. I'm doing this b/c I've notice the door hits the lip of the camper opening (the rounded corner) when opening it if it isn't shifted all the way to the right. I've adjusted the front feet but I didn't want it tilting to far backwards.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #9
lspajm

slide mod

I have the same set-up and have been thinking of doing somethign different -- can you please post photos of your mod to the outdoor kitchen??? Thanks!
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote