Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
yeswehave8

Second gray tank issues

Waves to the group!

We've got only 6 nights under our belt in our 2014 Passport 2810 BHWE and we are generally in love. We are having one issue, though, that is a major issue for us.

I should note that my UN does indeed mean we have 8 children; 6 who are still at home full time and camp with us. Washing dishes alone is usually enough to fill our gray tank rather quickly, let alone a quick bath for the little guys. Our particular model is the "west coast" version (though we are east coast) and is supposed to have the bigger gray tanks. Our control panel does indeed show two gray tanks, as well. I had read that one should drain the tub and the other drain the kitchen sink OR that they'd be plumbed in line and one would drain into the other.

Unfortunately, we are only filling one gray tank. On a recent outing, just 3 days in, we had filled the gray tank (did not have sewer connections on site) and the sink was draining into the bath tub. Not exactly a pleasant experience, but at least it was "just" dish water. One tank showed full and the other showed empty on the control panel. We only have two levers, one for gray, the other black.

Where is our other gray tank?!

Also, just to keep it interesting, our model has a sealed bottom. There is a heavy plastic-like corrugated bottom screwed in, which I assume is protective and part of that extra "all seasons camping" part. Help!!??
yeswehave8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
jsmith948

You may have only one gray tank. Keystone seems to use the same indicator panel regardless of the number of gray water tanks. The fact that your galley sink drained into the tub would seem to indicate that you have only one tank. Usually, if the RV has two gray tanks, the galley sink will drain into one tank and the shower, bathroom sink will drain into the other gray tank. Hope this helps.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
yeswehave8

I was afraid you were going to say that. The dealer (I know, I know!) told us that it was the west coast model and one of the "features" of the west coast vs east coast is larger holding tanks. It was specifically sold to us, telling us that it had 2 gray tanks. Can any more experienced owners tell me the difference between the west coast and the east coast models?

So the display lighting up gray 1 an gray 2 means nothing?

That is really going to stink for us come this summer! We are planning a trip out west and we prefer state parks, which often do not have sewer hook ups. We do have a blue tank, but it won't hold too much. Ugh!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

yeswehave8 -
I've gone to the Keystone website and cannot find any information about tank size for the west coast Passport 2810BHWE. It simply says, "TBD". The 2910BHE has a 60 gallon gray tank capacity but nothing listed for yours.
I'd try contacting Keystone to confirm what you actually have -- (Customer Service)

The display is more or less a generic one that is used in a variety of models and doesn't reflect how many tanks you actually have. Another Keystone "gem" similar to their Owners Manual.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
jsmith948

Our trailer lists gray water capacity at 76gal. A galley tank and a gray tank, each at 38 gal. If the eastern edition that Festus2 refers to has a gray water capacity of 60 gal, you may well have two 30 gal tanks? I would search under your trailer for a third pull handle? What troubles me is your statement that the galley sink seemed to grain into the tub. On our trailer, there is no connection between the galley sink and the shower. I think contacting Keystone, as Festus2 suggested, is a good idea. Good luck. Let us know what you learn.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Momedic

I feel you pain. We have seven children and have had to manage water very very conservative. We usually able to go three days if we use the shower house for most of the showers. We just invested in a portable tank and just use it for the gray tank. We take a two week trip to Florida each year and have to have full hookups. Most weekend trip we can get by but love when we do have the full hookups.
Momedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
yeswehave8

If there is a third one, it is not amongst the other two in the usual place.

I will have to try and call them tomorrow. Or is there a website that I can email? I swear the dealer told us that it had 2 gray tanks and a larger fresh water tank. Essentially that was the only differences on ours as opposed to the "east coast" models.

Its the Grand Touring edition, too, though that doesn't seem to effect the tanks at all.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
yeswehave8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momedic View Post
I feel you pain. We have seven children and have had to manage water very very conservative. We usually able to go three days if we use the shower house for most of the showers. We just invested in a portable tank and just use it for the gray tank. We take a two week trip to Florida each year and have to have full hookups. Most weekend trip we can get by but love when we do have the full hookups.
Well, we tend to book sites very close to the bath house for this very reason. Three of them still at home are teenage girls, so they bath... a LOT! They always go to the bath house, anyway. They usually take their 7 year old sister along, too. But the two "little guys" are sometimes easier just to plop in an actual tub.

I hope we can find sites along the way with sewer hook-ups. We are planning on going coast to coast, so it will definitely be easier if we can.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. If I find anything new, I will definitely update.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
randy69

Easy question how many dump valves do you have? There is only 1 per tank.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
austinp

I have a 2014 28BSHWE. It has 2 gray tanks and 1 black. The galley dump is further up towards the front of the unit just under my slide for the dinette and sofa. Its kind of hard to see if the slide is out.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
GaryWT

If you have one sink and one tub and only one tank on the board shows it has water in it then there is only one tank. Also if you run the water at the sink and is comes up in the tub then one tank. The one tank might be larger than most if you get 3 days. Mine for 2 of us will fill in a day or day and a half. It is a 30 or so gallon tank. I do only camp at full hook up sites so it is not a big deal for me. I hope it works out for you.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
bsmith0404

This doesn't help/answer your question, but a suggestion to help with water conservation and less water in your tank. When we don't have hookups we carry 5 gals of fresh water from home in a jug along with a Rubbermaid wash tub. We use that water for dishes and yes it gets dumped on the ground. Even when we have hookups I still wash dishes in the tub. I set up a small table by our outdoor shower which becomes a dishwashing station and use the shower for rinsing. Works great and makes clean-up a breeze. To be honest, we seldom remove the sink covers....more counter space.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeswehave8 View Post

I will have to try and call them tomorrow. Or is there a website that I can email? .
Keystone website is: www.keystonerv.com
There is a link on this site for sending emails to them.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
poncho62

Is it that hard to crawl under the trailer and have a look, or are the tanks sealed under the coverings?

My Springdale has the rear kitchen, bathroom is near the front, so it has 2 grey tanks.....and 2 drain outlets
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 AM   #15
Javi

Found this on a dealer's website

Shipping Weight 5,160
Carrying Capacity 2,040
Fresh 43
Waste 30
Gray 30
LPG 40

Looks to me as if you only got one grey tank and looking at the floor plan I can see why. As the bath and cooking sink are all very close together.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:14 AM   #16
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Here is what I would do, Close Black tank valve, open main sewer cap or if clear sewer section look at it and have someone inside trailer. Open single gray valve and have person inside run galley sink you should see water coming out main sewer. Then go to bathroom and do same for Sink and Shower. If all trailer water sources other than toilet exit sewer with single gray valve pulled then you have either a single gray tank or you have two tanks and the valve for the second tank is open which I think is less likely since you have already looked around and others have commented

As previously stated KS uses standard control panels for various model trailers regardless the actual number of gray tanks on the trailer.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #17
bsmith0404

The way I see it, there is no way the sink would back up into the tub if there were two tanks, they have to be plumbed together. Even if the valve was open on one the water would go into the main drain pipe and be stopped by the valve on the other.

Well there is one way, if both valves were open and the cap was on the main drain then you would basically have one system, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #18
Pmedic4

Two Gray water tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The way I see it, there is no way the sink would back up into the tub if there were two tanks, they have to be plumbed together. Even if the valve was open on one the water would go into the main drain pipe and be stopped by the valve on the other.

Well there is one way, if both valves were open and the cap was on the main drain then you would basically have one system, but that doesn't sound like the case here.
I would still check for a second GW tank valve. Third trip out, my wife says, the sink is stopped up! And when I drained water into the Shower, she said, water is coming up in the sink!!!! Stop!
Well, we had 2 GW tanks - not the same model as yours, but it was nearly impossible to find the second GW valve, but there was one. That water came up in the sink from the shower, well I don't know how, but just "appeared that way" is the best answer I can give. I guess all I can say is, it confused me too.

For ours, the second GW valve was under the wheel well skirt, and pull handle knob is set right next to the frame, and it was almost impossible to see - the other GW and BW valve are real obvious. The 2nd, not at all!

Look in the wheel well, right next to the frame is my best suggestion. I'll bet you have another hidden valve.

Good hunting!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
berg

Sorry friend - my money says you only have one gray tank and your salesman was full of black tank...

After looking at a LOT of them, a 2014 should clearly be marked on the side where the tank valve pulls are. See below.

My front is black/gray for the shower & bath. My back is the galley.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I would still check for a second GW tank valve. Third trip out, my wife says, the sink is stopped up! And when I drained water into the Shower, she said, water is coming up in the sink!!!! Stop!
Well, we had 2 GW tanks - not the same model as yours, but it was nearly impossible to find the second GW valve, but there was one. That water came up in the sink from the shower, well I don't know how, but just "appeared that way" is the best answer I can give. I guess all I can say is, it confused me too.
All tanks must be vented up through the roof. If both of your tanks share the same vent piping, perhaps that's how the water was getting from one tank to the other.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote