Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #21
NealBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many dealerships won't work on a brand they don't sell and even more won't work on a trailer they didn't sell. They feel (I suppose) that if you didn't buy it from them, they aren't responsible for keeping it in repair during the warranty. Most RV manufacturers have a specific pay schedule for warranty work that is usually less than the hourly rate dealers charge "paying customers". So, it essentially boils down to the fact that dealers are reluctant to do work (and lose money on the reimbursement) on rigs that they didn't make a profit on at the sale.

Also, most dealerships have a limited service capacity and can't keep up with the service demands that their customers want done. There's very little "idle time" to go looking for more customers, so they simply "take care of those who buy from us and won't put someone else's customer ahead of our own"....
He said that the Keystone dealer won't work on Laredos. That makes no sense. Thats like a Ford dealer saying they will not work on Fusions.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealBlue View Post
He said that the Keystone dealer won't work on Laredos. That makes no sense. Thats like a Ford dealer saying they will not work on Fusions.
Welcome to the RV world... many, many dealers will not work on models they do not sell..

Again, I suggest finding a good independent service center and making friends with them.. Their job is fixing... not make ready.

Javi
Old 06-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealBlue View Post
There's a significant difference in an automobile dealership and an RV dealership. You're right, a Ford dealer is "obligated" to work on a Fusion, but a Keystone dealer isn't even "obligated" to work on trailers that they sell. I know that sounds "far-fetched" but in reality, it boils down to making money. Some dealerships have a profit margin in sales that allows them to offset the costs in the service department, some dealerships sell at "wholesale, out the door" pricing and make their profit in volume sales to customers that they don't expect to ever see again and may not even have the expense of a service department in their business model.

When someone buys an RV from a "wholesale dealer" and takes it to his "hometown Keystone dealership" for warranty work, often times the customer gets "shuffled to the back burner" and given an appointment several months out from the requested date. Sometimes, the dealership simply says, "We don't work on trailers that we don't sell".

Whether you personally feel it's "right" or "wrong" doesn't much matter to the service manager who won't schedule you an appointment. About all you can do is complain to Keystone in Goshen and maybe you'll feel better about "unloading"... Chances are you still won't get an appointment.

Cultivating a relationship with an RV dealership is something that doesn't happen "just because". Purchasing your RV from a dealer, working with them, being a part of their "RV customer base" all enhance your ability to get service when you need it.

Don't believe, even for a second, that Automobile and RV dealership service departments operate on a similar plan. They don't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a significant difference in an automobile dealership and an RV dealership. You're right, a Ford dealer is "obligated" to work on a Fusion, but a Keystone dealer isn't even "obligated" to work on trailers that they sell. I know that sounds "far-fetched" but in reality, it boils down to making money. Some dealerships have a profit margin in sales that allows them to offset the costs in the service department, some dealerships sell at "wholesale, out the door" pricing and make their profit in volume sales to customers that they don't expect to ever see again and may not even have the expense of a service department in their business model.

When someone buys an RV from a "wholesale dealer" and takes it to his "hometown Keystone dealership" for warranty work, often times the customer gets "shuffled to the back burner" and given an appointment several months out from the requested date. Sometimes, the dealership simply says, "We don't work on trailers that we don't sell".

Whether you personally feel it's "right" or "wrong" doesn't much matter to the service manager who won't schedule you an appointment. About all you can do is complain to Keystone in Goshen and maybe you'll feel better about "unloading"... Chances are you still won't get an appointment.

Cultivating a relationship with an RV dealership is something that doesn't happen "just because". Purchasing your RV from a dealer, working with them, being a part of their "RV customer base" all enhance your ability to get service when you need it.

Don't believe, even for a second, that Automobile and RV dealership service departments operate on a similar plan. They don't.
Yup!! Since I work at an RV dealership, I can back up everything John said.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #25
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yup!! Since I work at an RV dealership, I can back up everything John said.

According to a report for CNBC, Marcus Lemonis, Camping World chairman and CEO, has done well for himself. He’s a self-made millionaire and the star of CNBC’s hit show “The Profit.” But if he had to go back and start from scratch?
He’d sell cars.
That’s because he likes reaping the direct rewards of his hustle.
“If I lost everything today and I had to start over, I would go sell cars. Because I’m working with somebody else’s inventory, I control my own pay plan. I control my schedule. I can get up at 5 in the morning and work ’til 10 at night,” says Lemonis. “And I enjoy it.”

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump