Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #21
schmeg

I went from a 35' 7500 pound Passport TT hauled by a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with a Reese DualCam setup to a 43' Keystone Fuzion 5'er hauled by a Ram 3500 dually CTD. I actually hauled the 35' a few times with the dually too. The single most difference in towing stability was the move to the dually. There was still some "tail wagging the dog", but not as bad as the 1/2 ton. Chucking on the hitch was bad though. Moving to the 5'er took all the chucking away and it tracks straight down the road. No "wagging". It truly is a better towing experience. Only you can make the decision if its worth the price of admission. We made the move because we needed a toy hauler and more room. If your going to spend the money, do it right the first time and get what you want. These things depreciate way too fast. Jay.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #22
busterbrown

I think everyone is giving the OP great pointers in regards to maximizing his enjoyment while mobilizing his RV. No doubt that a dual rear wheeled 1 ton crew cab pickup with 8 foot bed and a proper air ride hitch will pull a 5th wheel around the continental US much better than your typical tow behind travel trailer.

But I think it comes down to more than just vehicular engineering, but rather to a multitude of personal objectives. Some include budget, destination (smaller state campgrounds vs large private RV parks), dedication of time, storage logistics, and length of trips. For us, the lower profile TT offered up more campsites that are less threatening to the RV's roof. Also, the pull behind can move through our mature residential streets without clipping many of the low lying tree branches. Adding several feet to the height of our Bullet would make it next to impossible to avoid limb contact. Again, personal objectives are quite different.

Just make sure in the end, your rig is safe, you stay within limits, and you drive like an old man. (No pun intended for the old men reading this).
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
Barbarian Coug

I drove the I-40 from Barstow, California to Laughlin, Nevada in December of 2015 with sustained winds hitting me sideways at about 25-35 mph pulling the 5th wheel trailer - it handled fine while other folks were struggling. Drove from Delta, Utah to Provo, Utah in 2007 in worse side winds pulling the travel trailer and did not have any problems either.
Barbarian Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #24
66joej

busterbrown. None taken. Raced cars in the old days but now in my late 70s I find I drive like an old man. Slow and safe!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #25
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Trying to justify the expense of moving up to a 5er, do they really tow that much better/stable than a properly set up travel trailer? Our family looks to do some longer haul trips about 1,200 miles each way to places like Disneyland, Yellowstone, Texas, etc originating from the NW. I like the added storage and space in the 5th wheel but have also heard that they do not experience sway or pushing from passing semis or crosswinds. Is this truly the case from those of you who have towed both? I have a favorable setup now with a 1 ton diesel pulling or 32' 7500lbs TT but still feel some pushing with crosswinds, etc. nothing too concerning but wondering if that would be alleviated with a 5th wheel?
Well, this is mainly a "5er" forum so it's gonna lean that way a tedge...

All kidding aside, it sounds like you've already kinda steered that way. I've pulled many gooseneck trailers (mostly cattle) and bed mounted/hitched trailers are definitely different towing, backing, handling etc. than bumper pull. Maybe the biggest difference is costs. If cost isn't an issue, than I'd pick a ...
Old 01-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #26
Orlando3

I towed travel trailers for approximately 25 years before finally getting a fifth wheel. Got the fifth wheel due to the way it was set up in the interior more of a couple's coach, I no longer have small kids. That being said I like the fifth wheel. much harder to back up until you get the hang of it which didn't take me long but they are not as responsive as a travel trailer. You need to be careful when buying the 5th wheel and towing it with a truck that's not rated correctly. I've seen lots of fifth wheels being pulled by trucks that I know aren't rated to pull that fifth wheel. If I were rich and had unlimited funds I would buy a dually in a heartbeat to pull my fifth wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
Orlando3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #27
BlueThunder34

Did you find that the TT towed well on long distance trips? That is my main concern, as we are planning more and more trips that exceed 1,200 miles each way. I've heard that 5th wheels are better suited for long distance travels. So much conflicting information out is enough to make ones head spin, that's why I decided to ask those with real world experience between the 2.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #28
Orlando3

No doubt that fifth wheel tows better but I towed travel trailers ranging in size from 19 foot to a 27-foot to finally a 33-foot with two slides. I never had an issue as long as there was no wind. Wind is very uncomfortable with all trailers but more so with a travel trailer. Also when you pass or get passed by an 18-wheeler it becomes a little uncomfortable. I feel that when I kept my speed to 60 miles an hour 65 Max it was more comfortable and that's what I usually did rather than try to drive 70 and 75. My daddy always taught me that RVing was a slow process. Meaning he would travel 5 hours a day Max and set up and have fun. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere then pulling a trailer of any kind is not the way to go. What size travel trailer are you looking at?

Old 01-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #29
Orlando3

Just my two cents. If the travel trailer is less than 30 feet I think it's not a big deal. I have seen travel trailers that are now pushing 40 feet I think that's ridiculous long and way more difficult to pull. A dually would be the better tow vehicle when pulling large over 30 foot long travel trailers just my opinion

Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #30
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando3 View Post
No doubt that fifth wheel tows better but I towed travel trailers ranging in size from 19 foot to a 27-foot to finally a 33-foot with two slides. I never had an issue as long as there was no wind. Wind is very uncomfortable with all trailers but more so with a travel trailer. Also when you pass or get passed by an 18-wheeler it becomes a little uncomfortable. I feel that when I kept my speed to 60 miles an hour 65 Max it was more comfortable and that's what I usually did rather than try to drive 70 and 75. My daddy always taught me that RVing was a slow process. Meaning he would travel 5 hours a day Max and set up and have fun. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere then pulling a trailer of any kind is not the way to go. What size travel trailer are you looking at?

Thanks for the info. Our current TT has an overall length of 31' 11", the 5er we are looking at has an overall length of 38'. The TT is well within specs for our truck obviously and it looks like the 5er is as well although it comes in about 3,000lbs heavier and about 1,200lbs more on payload requirements

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Did you find that the TT towed well on long distance trips? That is my main concern, as we are planning more and more trips that exceed 1,200 miles each way. I've heard that 5th wheels are better suited for long distance travels. So much conflicting information out is enough to make ones head spin, that's why I decided to ask those with real world experience between the 2.

I think that the 5vr will pull better on a long trip. 20-30k better? Not in my opinion.

I pull a TT that is right at 38' OAL. It was not fun pulling it when I first bought it and tried pulling with a 1/2 ton with all the "upgrades" to make it tow "better". The weight put me right at max on most measurements and about 200 over on payload. Made one trip and went to a new HD 3/4 ton 4x4. No comparison. We drive to FL from TX every year (twice last year and probably the same this year) approx. 1500 mi. one way. Towing went from something I dreaded to something I look forward to....or at least the trip with no thought of any towing issues. For us, the towing aspect is a non issue between the 2 and each of the types have their own backing and other issues related to their designs - you just have to get used to them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #32
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think that the 5vr will pull better on a long trip. 20-30k better? Not in my opinion.

I pull a TT that is right at 38' OAL. It was not fun pulling it when I first bought it and tried pulling with a 1/2 ton with all the "upgrades" to make it tow "better". The weight put me right at max on most measurements and about 200 over on payload. Made one trip and went to a new HD 3/4 ton 4x4. No comparison. We drive to FL from TX every year (twice last year and probably the same this year) approx. 1500 mi. one way. Towing went from something I dreaded to something I look forward to....or at least the trip with no thought of any towing issues. For us, the towing aspect is a non issue between the 2 and each of the types have their own backing and other issues related to their designs - you just have to get used to them.
Thanks for the insight and experience on the long haul trips. As much as I like the 5er I just don't think I could justify the additional 30k for the amount of time we would use at this point in our lives. They are very nice but so is our TT Cougar.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
Old 01-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #33
busterbrown

Quote:
Thanks for the insight and experience on the long haul trips. As much as I like the 5er I just don't think I could justify the additional 30k for the amount of time we would use at this point in our lives. They are very nice but so is our TT Cougar.
If I were you and still enjoyed my current TT, I would invest in a premium hitch & take the $27,000 in savings and enjoy some spectacular vacations.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:10 AM   #34
Stircrazy

I just upgraded from a 30 foot tt to a 38 foot fifth wheel in the fall. at the end of august I traveled from BC to Alberta for holidays then we bought the fifth and I did the exact same trip 3 weeks later.

I was using a ford f250 7.3L diesel. so with the tt I got 11.7 mpg (Canadian) and with the larger and heavier fifth I got 15.5 mpg. towing wise yes the Fifth cuts the corners a little tighter but that only takes a bit to get used to.

as for driving down the road I noticed a few things right away. the trailer didn't push the back end of the truck around causing the "wind wiggle" from cross winds or passing semi's. ands on dips and humps you didn't get the rocking back and forth with the Fifth like you do with a TT and the general smoothness of the ride was much superior with the Fifth.

Backing into camp ground spots was way easier with the fifth as you can jack knife it and turn very sharp, and hook up was so fast and easy compared to the TT it wasn't even funny.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #35
schmeg

I've noticed these very same observations. I went from a 35' TT to a 43' 5'er.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #36
mtofell

I've had several of each type (5th and TT) over the years for various financial and family reasons. Without a doubt the 5th tows better but it's not like the TT is a horrible experience when setup properly. OP asked about towing so I don't want to drag the thread too far off course but I can tell you both types have some big pros/cons. It really just depends on what you need/want. There's a reason both TT and 5th wheels are super popular. They both have great features and offer some great things.

I've been back and forth several times and will likely do it some more. If there were a perfect solution there would only be one type of RV sold.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #37
bwright

We've had our 5th wheel for over a year now and still hard to beieve how much easier this bigger and heavier 5th wheel tows compared to our previous TT.

2015 Montana High Country 353RL
2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Powerstroke
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #38
BlueThunder34

Thanks everyone, I emailed the dealer tonight and if they can still get us the special finance rate from the RV show (was supposed to end today) then we will buy the Cougar 336BHS. The extra room in the 5er will be great long term for us as the kids get older and they will have the separate bunk room vs just a curtain over the bunks and our mastif/German shepherd pup is getting bigger every time i blink so I think it's worth the investment for us now. Wish I would have thought ahead before we bought the TT a year ago as the trade in is going to hurt, but hey you only live once right? I hope I pick up the backing of the 5er as well as I had the TT down, I could put that 32' TT just about anywhere.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
Old 02-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #39
Stircrazy

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I emailed the dealer tonight and if they can still get us the special finance rate from the RV show (was supposed to end today) then we will buy the Cougar 336BHS. .
if they have a 330RBK check it out also, we originally were going to buy the 336BHS but they sold the one they had by the time we decided we liked it. the 330 has no slide on the door side which in hind sight we like better as it doesn't take up that side of the camp site and you get a bigger awning.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:35 AM   #40
rhagfo

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I emailed the dealer tonight and if they can still get us the special finance rate from the RV show (was supposed to end today) then we will buy the Cougar 336BHS. The extra room in the 5er will be great long term for us as the kids get older and they will have the separate bunk room vs just a curtain over the bunks and our mastif/German shepherd pup is getting bigger every time i blink so I think it's worth the investment for us now. Wish I would have thought ahead before we bought the TT a year ago as the trade in is going to hurt, but hey you only live once right? I hope I pick up the backing of the 5er as well as I had the TT down, I could put that 32' TT just about anywhere.
Congratulations on the choice.
I will say I never wanted or towed a TT, always knew that a 5er was the way to go for a better towing experience. I guess I took too many engineering related classes in school, the physics of a 5er just make way more sense to me.
Much talk of towing like an old man when towing in this thread, well with our rig and fiver I do drive with care, but on two lane roads (90% of our travel) I go with the flow, this might mean rolling down the road in a 55 zone at 60 mph or a bit more. This is the true beauty of a 5er very stable not only going straight, but also cornering. This is due to the pivot point of the trailer being either directly over or slightly ahead of the axle. With a TT the pivot point is 3' to 4' behind the axle giving the TT the ability to impart sway on to the TV.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow