Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2016, 04:11 AM   #1
xcntrk

AC Heatstrips?

Hey gang. Anybody know how to operate the AC heatstrips that are supposed to be equipped on my model? I turn the thermostat to heat and only the furnace kicks on, no AC fan.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:46 AM   #2
Brentw

Re: AC Heatstrips?

I would say you are on the wrong thermostat. AC and furnace are on one (usually the main room) and if you have a heat strip on the second AC unit it will be on that thermostat.
To be clear, as far as I know, 1 thermostat will have the furnace or a heat strip and 1 AC unit, not both sources of heat.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
xcntrk

Huh, maybe mine doesn't have heat in the AC as I only have a single thermostat. It runs both AC's (as dual zones) and furnace heat (as a single zone). Maybe heatstrips are only with the Chrome Fuzion package?

Old 10-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You can tell if it has a heat strip in it by removing the filter assembly and looking up into the air box. If there is a heating strip, you'll be able to see it. On Dometic units, the heat strip looks like this picture. On other brand air conditioners, it will look similar but may have a different shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEAT STRIP a.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	11333  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
Brentw

Goes to prove no two are alike. I have a 2015 Fuzion 325. The thermostat in the living area runs the AC in the front bedroom and the furnace. The thermostat in the garage runs the rear AC and the heat strip in it. Both AC units are connected to the common ceiling ductwork.
BTW, I was not to impressed with the output of the heatstrip.
2008 Goldwing
Old 10-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Heat pump is the way to go.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
BTW, I was not to impressed with the output of the heatstrip.
The heat strip is 5600 BTU max. When you consider the volume of air that flows through the "air return", with only a portion of that actually absorbing heat from the heat strip, then losing part of that as it passes through the ductwork on its way to the ceiling outlets, it's no wonder there's no "really appreciable" heat rise noted at the outlets. Actually, it takes "most of the night" to gain much temperature rise in the cabin. Heat strips work, but I've found that it takes a substantial time to heat an RV with one, and then it'll only work in "moderately cool" temps. Any night that's "really cold" forget it, you'll need the furnace. I didn't get a heat strip in this trailer. In Louisiana, with previous trailers, a heat strip was OK for fall/spring evenings, but even there, in winter, it took more than that little "warmer thing" to take the chill off the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:39 AM   #8
xcntrk

Thanks all, I'll pull the covers and inspect for the heat strip.

Still don't know how to operate them if they are in-fact present.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
whitescrew77

On my fuzion impact toy hauler, the front air conditioner and furnace are on the front thermostat. The second air-conditioner in the garage is on the second thermostat with the heat strips in it. The heat strips are Junk! I went with a small tower space heater instead to heat the garage quickly. It only takes about 30 minutes to warm up the garage section.
whitescrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #10
Brentw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The heat strip is 5600 BTU max. When you consider the volume of air that flows through the "air return", with only a portion of that actually absorbing heat from the heat strip, then losing part of that as it passes through the ductwork on its way to the ceiling outlets, it's no wonder there's no "really appreciable" heat rise noted at the outlets. Actually, it takes "most of the night" to gain much temperature rise in the cabin. Heat strips work, but I've found that it takes a substantial time to heat an RV with one, and then it'll only work in "moderately cool" temps. Any night that's "really cold" forget it, you'll need the furnace. I didn't get a heat strip in this trailer. In Louisiana, with previous trailers, a heat strip was OK for fall/spring evenings, but even there, in winter, it took more than that little "warmer thing" to take the chill off the trailer.
Described very well, thanks.
2008 Goldwing
Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitescrew77 View Post
On my fuzion impact toy hauler, the front air conditioner and furnace are on the front thermostat. The second air-conditioner in the garage is on the second thermostat with the heat strips in it. The heat strips are Junk! I went with a small tower space heater instead to heat the garage quickly. It only takes about 30 minutes to warm up the garage section.
Ditto that. I run the heat strip and I have a furnace vent in the garage. If they don't/can't keep up, I use a small space heater. If it is really cold, I just start with the space heater.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote