Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
DWhittaker

Black tank flush

I have a 2014 Sydney 340fbh that is equipped with the black tank flush inlet. I have used this and cannot tell that it does much. I have better luck taking a hose inside and cleaning it that way. I was told to never use the flush with the valve closed or it would drop the tank. If I leave the valve open it doesn't seem like enough water gets in to do anything. If anyone can tell me how to properly use it I would appreciate it.

Thanks
DWhittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Rhino

What do you mean by "drop the tank"?
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Dave W

They really don't put a lot of water in the tank, relying on a strong spray to wash down the inside of the tank.. I believe ours is plumbed with 1/4" tubing.

As far as the tank failing - nahhh. No way unless you fill it then have a clogged vent cause over pressurization. With that said, I often fill ours to about 2/3rds full by the monitor then drain. Amazing what 'floats' out.

What will happen if you close the drain valve to put water in the black tank then get distracted by something such as a gabby neighbor (never your wife!!!) you may end up with the effluent coming out of the roof vent.

As far as running a hose down the toilet hole - if it's a straight shot, Camco and Valterra both have gadgets that pressurize the water spray - about ten bucks. If your toilet drain pipe is angled like ours, you can makeup a sprayer using a nylon fitting and a yard sprinkler head, both available from a big box store. You will sacrifice a hose by cutting off the male end then use a worm drive clamp to fasten the nylon fitting in the hose. Those sprinkler heads are cheap and are 1/4 to full circle, depending on your choice - I use the 1/4 as it, again, concentrates the spray most but have the 1/2 and full circle.

The joys of RV ownership
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
rhagfo

Well I added a flush fitting to our rig and it seems to work pretty good, but last trip we had a few issues.
So at the end of the last trip I used the flusher to flush the tank until the water was coming out pretty clear. I then filled the tank about half full of water using the flush device on with the valve closed. NOTICE I ALWAYS SET THE TIMER ON MY SMART PHONE FOR NO MORE THAN FOUR MINUTES!!!).
I then added about 1/2 box of Rid-X, well I knew the rig was going to set for the better part of four weeks.
Next trip out hooked up flusher, and turned on for about 30 seconds and opened the dump valve, Wow the water was very brown!
Once done I check the status panel and the tank registered EMPTY!!!!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
first time 5er

WOW never thought of rid-x. I think i will give that a try and see what happends

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I leave the flush running, close the valve for 3 minutes and then open it.

Reason for that sticker is they don't want you to start the rinser and walk away from it. The tank is supported and designed to carry a full tank of water. If you leave the rinser running with the valve closed, it will fill the tank and start backing up into the vent and toilet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
jsmith948

We have had good luck (touch wood) with our tank flush. I let the flush run until I don't see anymore solids or paper residue then close the valve, fill the tank to about 2/3 (about 4 min) then dump again with the flush still running. Sometimes takes two cycles/revolutions to get the tank clean.
BTW, we put a couple capfuls of downy and about 3 bowls full of water after we dump. Every now and then we'll put some washing soda solution in the tank with a little extra water before we pull out of camp.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
therink

I have the exact model trailer as you but a 2013. My black flush works good but it takes time and multiple flushes to get all the good stuff out. Try letting the tank fill for about 10 minutes with dump valve closed, then open and drain. Also helps to dump 5 gal pail of water down toilet with drain valve valve open and flushing at same time. Try this several times, of course not while people are waiting at a dump station. These tanks are only about 8 inches high so lots of horizontal flat area to try to move solids out.
I flush mine about 3 times year and use lots of water with dawn dish soap and Arm and Hammer Washing Soda solution when starting tank from empty. Never have odors or poo pyramid issues.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
hankaye

DWhittaker, Howdy;

I take it by now you realize that the key to the whole deal is to stay focused
on the job at hand, not allowing for distractions and just being sensible
about the whole evolution. Let common sense prevail!

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #10
Canonman

Here's a link to an interesting experiment done by an actual rocket scientist.
Bottom line, treat the black tank just like the bowl. Lots of water and a thorough flush!
http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/test...rv-black-tank/
This should "clear up" any questions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9101.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	10982  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
DWhittaker

Thanks Steve. Do you run a separate hose to the flush inlet or hook it up to the faucet in the compartment?
DWhittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
hankaye

DWhittaker, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhittaker View Post
Thanks Steve. Do you run a separate hose to the flush inlet or hook it up to the faucet in the compartment?
!!! NEVER use a drinking water hose for the black tank!!!
Get a hose (different color so they don't get mixed-up), and make it a
dedicated hose for the black flush system. Also buy a back-flow preventer
to protect the water system that you are connecting to (NOT a LOOP
system with the RV), from contamination as well. Something like this;
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DIG-100-p...-D45/100141547

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
Canonman

Cross contamination is a big issue. Get and use a separate dedicated black tank flush hose with the back flow preventer. Failure to keep the the fresh water system and accessories/tools TOTALLY Separate from the waste water could result in someone getting real sick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9629.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	10986  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #14
sahamil

Tank flush

My Cougar came with a tank flush preinstalled and when I used it I could not hear the water spraying in the tank. It was either very quiet or not working. I pulled the sprayer and found out they had buried it in a huge glob of silicone sealer when they installed it. So after removing the sealer and opening the spray holes it works great. You should hear it spraying the inside of your tank when it is in use.
sahamil is offline   Reply With Quote