Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Bugle Boy

New From Columbia, Missouri

We have traded in our 2006 Sunline SR276 on a Cougar 31RKS. It is to arrive the 2nd week in May.

Currently researching slideout toppers. The salesman is trying to tell us not to get one but I greatly disagree. Not sure of his motivation. I have some concerns as to what is in the slideout and trailer wall to allow secure mounting of the rail and brackets.

Jan and I dedicate our retired time to Veterans. She is in the Quilts of Valor Foundation and I am in Bugles Across America and Patriot Guard Riders. I am also 1st Vice Commander in our American Legion Post here. I also volunteer every Friday at Harry S. Truman VA Hospital.

Our first outing in the new Cougar will probably be to Branson to check out the freezer with a bunch of trout from Lake Taneycomo.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
TAZ23

And thank you for your service and yours and the better halfs dedication to our service men and women.
That Cougar is a nice model with lots of counter space. Several others on this forum have recently purchased them. Enjoy it and travel safely.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Bugle Boy

Thank you.

You can google both Quilts of Valor and Bugles Across America to see what they are all about.

If you are out camping and you hear Taps at sundown, it might just be me.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Bugle Boy

Are there Keystone Technical people here or is the technical info from owners?
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
SlowPoke

Hi Bugle Boy, and I too thank you for your service!

As far as it goes, there is no official Keystone affiliation with the forum, therefor as been said by the moderators in the past; There are no officially active or participating Keystone employees, techs or likewise that are known to be a part of this forum, nor monitor the website to anyone's knowledge.

All of the technical info comes from a number of very experienced owners of various Keystone models and years. Hope that helps!

Have a great time and save a few trout for me!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

There are no Keystone employees or representatives here on our forum. If you read the disclaimer at the bottom (shown in red), that will provide you with the information that you are seeking.

The only assistance and information found on this forum comes from our members, none of whom to the best of my knowledge, have any connection with Keystone.

If you are looking for some technical information that you are unable to obtain here, I would suggest that you contact Keystone via email or phone and ask to speak to their customer service department.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Bugle Boy

Sure am glad I found and joined this forum. I am making a list of all the issues Keystone owners have had to deal with.

The list will give me lots to discuss with the dealer when our New 31RKS arrives in a couple weeks. Delamination, awning motor failure, slideout lubrication........all costly failures I will be on the lookout for but hope never happen.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Bugle Boy,

Being vigilant is OK, but don't stress too much over things that "might happen", that takes away from the enjoyment of what "is happening"

If the screen door in your submarine starts leaking, you're in trouble, but if the screen door in your new RV happens to leak, it's not as critical. Just lay down a towel, get another adult beverage and talk it over with the dealer next time you're in his business. There's just not that much "danger" in an RV that you need to be "ever vigilant" to protect it.

RV's are made for enjoyment, being armed for "probable failure" before you ever even pick it up will surely detract from the smiles you can gain from enjoying your new toy.

Print out the PDI in the Keystone Questions section and make sure you are at least familiar with all that's on it and you'll be OK.

Remember also, "talking" to the dealer about those things and getting something "in writing" about them are two different animals. Don't stress too much about things, keep it in perspective. There are tens of thousands of Keystone RV's out there and there are a "few" with issues. You'd do much better in the "ulcer department" to expect to get a good one, and statistically, you will.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Bugle Boy

Great advice John. Our plan is to pick it up in Springfield and head down to Branson, about 35 miles south. Stay a week or so and check everything out. Any issues we will stop by the dealer on the way home to have them addressed.

I'm pretty much a diy guy and all of the issues we had with our two Sunlines over the years I was able to take care of myself. Although, we didn't have that many issues.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

We stayed on the bluff overlooking Lake Taneycomo at Cooper Creek Resort. They have a small dock/boathouse on the water. We spent more time there, in a rocking chair than we did at the campsite. For some reason, just sitting there, rocking and listening to the waves hit the pilings was so relaxing. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there. And as for bringing home a freezer full of trout, we ate all we caught. They just taste so much better when they're fresh from the water

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
DK Henry

Bugle Boy I am in West Ky and seem to be in Columbia once a year or so. Nice town the DW and I always enjoy the area. Thanks for your servive then and now! Looking forward to doing some camping in southen MO the next few years. Know of any great spots on the water let me know. Enjoy your new rig!!
DK Henry is offline   Reply With Quote