Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Marty - Eureka

Buying a 2013 COUGAR 244RLSWE tomorrow?

It's time to retire our 89 27 foot Alpenlite fifth wheel, so have spent a couple of months of on-line shopping. We had hoped to drop down a couple of feet, as we have had trouble getting to some of the places we like to boondock. But found that most manufactures had dropped the short 5ths and we didn't care for the few that are left.

We are looking at a 2013 Cougar 244RLSWE tomorrow as the closest to what we want. It was a contest between the Cougar or Heartlands Sundance SD XLT 245RL. I had been leading toward the Heartland because of the positive reports in the Heartland forum of owners dealing directly with the company. Want to install solar panels, call Heartland and they would sent diagrams showing the ribs in the roof, order parts direct from the factory, etc. But the nearest ones we could look at were six hours north or south of us, as the dealer three hours away didn't have any in stock.

There were several features we preferred in the Cougar, though my wife claims it was the option of me having another remote control that finalized the deal. Actually it was the last $1400 they took off for being the last trailer of the model year.

Our TV is a 2013 Ford F350, 6.7 diesel 4X4, long bed with a B&W Companion hitch matched to the Ford fifth wheel/gooseneck prep. That should be able to handle the 10070# GVWR trailer.
Marty - Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Welcome to the forum!

I have a 2010 244RLSWE with five solar panels on the roof---three of them on motorized lifters that I made to operate with the included Cougar remote. Installed directly into the 1/2" OSB using large toggle bolts.

I too wanted a shorter 5er for boondocking, and my Cougar was the perfect size at the perfect price.

If my '97 Dodge can handle it, I'm pretty sure your '13 Ford can
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
GaryWT

Congrats and welcome, hope the pick up went well.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
suza

Welcome, from Oregon. We also have a 2013 F-350 diesel 4x4 long bed crew cab. It tows our 279RKS with plenty to spare. And, we get decent gas mileage - 12-16 mpg depending on the terrain. I know you'll be pleased with your TV/RV pairing.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote