Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Fringe4U

New TT from the Il side of St Louis

Hi everyone. I am new to Keystone. We bought a Laredo 303TG at the RV show in St Louis. We are moving from a Jayco X18D so it's a big upgrade. We pick up the RV next weekend, too bad we have another month of winter! I am towing it w/ a F-150 Ecoboost w/ Max Tow.
I have been reading about every post I can find on the 303TG in the last few days. I have learned that TG stands for Tail Gate? and it seems like the outdoor grills are not up to par? Hopefully I will have better luck with them. I think I will definitely need to pick up some levelers, trying to decide between the yellow tri-leveler, the lego type blocks, or good old tried and true wood.

Thanks,

Ryan
Fringe4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Laredo60

Welcome to the forum. I also brought a 303tg in November. Have not got to use it yet can't wait for spring. I towed it home with my f-150ecoboast too.
It was fine towed great. I hope u are able to learn as much as I have on the forum. Did u get the 2013 with all of the updates they have done since labor day on them? All the best with it.
Laredo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Fringe4U

Yes it is a 2013 model. I don't even know the differences between 2012 and 2013 models. I am pretty excited, the jayco was pretty small and with the wife and 3 kids age 3, 5, 6 it could get so they were bouncing off the walls!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringe4U View Post
Yes it is a 2013 model. I don't even know the differences between 2012 and 2013 models. I am pretty excited, the jayco was pretty small and with the wife and 3 kids age 3, 5, 6 it could get so they were bouncing off the walls!
Congratulations on the new unit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
sjdobbins

Congratualations

Congratulations on the new trailer. We too can't wait to use our new Passport this spring as well. We camp over at Carlyle Lake regularly. Maybe we will run into you.
sjdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
antiqfreq

Welcome to the forum !

Glad to have you and your family with us &

Congrats on your new camper.

Lots of great info here should you need it - feel free to ask our members as they are more than willing to help out if need be.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Fred_M

Congrats on the new trailer. Fred here from So. Cal.
We have a Springdale 232SRT, has dual axles. As for leveling,
we use the yellow lego style blocks. You can get several sets and get
lots of lift. I used to use some boards but, they took up a lot of space.
We also use the blocks under the stabilizers. Some sites require a lot
of spacers before the stabilizers make contact. Hope this helps. - Fred.
Fred_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
JimmyK

Wow, that's not a big upgrade, that's a HUGE upgrade. I thought going from 19 to 23 myself was big. Congratulations on the nice trailer.
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
tribalsimba

Congratulations

We have a 2011 303TG; and have enjoyed two seasons on it. We also purchased ours in January, and took delivery in April.

I will say that somethings were different on the unit we received, than what we saw at the dealer when we picked it out. But they, for us, were all good things.

The 2012/2013's I've seen lack the electric stabilizer jacks; which I love on my unit, but I have heard that many run into issues with them, as they don't have any logic to stop the motors in either direction when needed. So it's all on the operator.

I have had GREAT success with the lego block style leveling blocks. I use boards and concrete blocks when I know I'm going somewhere with significant grades. I have also 'dug out' the earth under the uphill wheels (rather than blocking up the downwill wheels); which helps keep the entry stairs closer to the ground when the doors are facing downhill.

Here are some things I've learned with my 303TG. The winterization service is behind a removable wall inside the front outside storage, drivers side (right inside the city water hook up). My unit had a valve and pigtail hose for antifreeze built in; so I just cut a hole in that wall, so I never have to remove it again. I'm also going to add some rubber to the water pump mounts, and insulate better around the water pump; as its a little noisy for me, but I'm sensitive.

I remove the bottom drawer under the back of the sink to access the hot water tank bypass; it's way easier.

The outside sink is plumbed to the BLACK water tank; with a 'check' valve instead of a P-Trap. This can be helpful after showers/baths; when you need to do dishes when dry camping. I typically will use this sink to fill the black tank before pulling out to help it flush out the solids when I dump.

Our grille works GREAT. While there are certainly better grille's out there, this little thing hooks up nice, and works very well. I clean it frequently, and added a drain hole with a catch can. Remember to level your unit perfectly, if you want the grille to be level; since the mount is permanantly attached.

I've replaced the support shocks on the outside kitchen once already, but dealer was very supportive.

We also had a leak in our fresh water tank, while the dealer fixed it; I'm dissappointed at the no longer seamless underbelly skin, as they had to cut it; and have mended it with a piece of wood.

I added carpet to the under the master bed storage area, as every time we accessed it, the matress would get splinters in it.

Now, as for your TV. I'm very interested to learn how your EcoBoost will perform. I had a great 5.3L Chevy; that towed my unit very well the first year; but was frequently concerned going both up, and down significant grades, which I do often.

If you aren't already doing it; I hope you will run LT "E" tires on the truck; and you inspect your brakes and trans frequently. If you can, upgrade the rear leaf bushings to something stronger.

I can assure you, the upgrade to my 3/4 ton has been significantly noticable in total footing. The frame & rear-end doesn't twist as much when the trailer is throwing it's weight; which happens often enough in wind, during passing semi's, uneven road, reactive manuevers to road/unexpected elements).

Just my 2-cents. The ability to get it going is the easy part. Having been in the 1/2 ton camp; and believe me I tried to justify staying there, remember, you don't have a 7500# behind you, you likely have 9000#. Mine is 7800# dry, regardless of what the sticker says. It's easy to load 1200# of cargo on the trailer after filling the potable tank, a little in the waste tanks, both fridges stocked, bedding, clothes, a case of beer,...... PLUS add to your GCVWR what you have in the truck cab (people), the bed (maybe a topper/cap, that's what I had), and supplies adding to your total Truck PayLoad. Not hard to reach your 1400# payload on the truck, and dwindle the specificaion for MAX Tow (which is defined as with an EMPTY truck, driver only).

Just sayin... don't let the marketing numbers detract from the fine print.

Enjoy the heck out of your 303TG. We absolutely love ours. It has been by far the best investment we've made so far. The kids are enjoying a terrific childhood, and we're enjoying the escape on the weekends, with little to no worries, or frustrations. Just alot of laundry to do when we return home.

Happy "Tail Gating"!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Fringe4U

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice. We pick up our unit tomorrow. We will be parking it at our perm spot out at Rustic Acres. We are very psyched and can't wait till the start of camping season!

Ryan
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
tahiti67

Congrats on the new trailer.We bought an Avalanche 341tg at the same show in St louis. Can't wait for spring.
tahiti67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
Fringe4U

wow that avalanche looks super nice. no way you are towing that with an f-150