Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
denverpilot

A little sad... but moving on...

We're selling our 2013 Keystone Laredo 312RE.

(Well technically I think it'll end up on consignment at a local mega-dealership. We're still discussing it.)

Tonight was "get all of the stuff out of it" night and it made us a little melancholy. Not to mention trying to figure out where to put a small house worth of stuff in our normal house. Ha! (Hmm. We don't need two coffee pots or two sets of dishes and pots and pans... we also had some canned goods and dry goods always stocked in it and bedding for two beds and tools and... you all know the drill...)

The good news is, it's not really for any "bad" reason. Life just changed on us. And not in a bad way.

Over the last year or so, I decided to go from long time Private Pilot to becoming a Flight Instructor as a side job, and eventually that'll be my "retirement job" someday.

The downside to that? Most students with regular job schedules need to fly on weekends with the occasional weekday. My lovely wife is a nurse and has reached the stage of her career where she also has traditional daytime work hours. (So odd for nurses! Ha.)

When we bought it, both of our jobs were significantly different and we had much more flexible schedules. We were going to do some weekday camping and some four day stuff anywhere I could get cellular data service to "work from home" in IT, but then both of us changed jobs, and I got after it on the flying stuff.

So in the end, the trailer sat parked too much and that only looked to get worse. We own it outright, so parking it on our property wasn't any burden, but we realized we just won't be using it enough.

We'll probably get another one someday. We had a really good run with her, and enjoyed every trip we did take. Even the one where the truck blew a fuel pump on a Saturday and we camped out in Nebraska for four days -- and gave those dual air conditioners a real workout!

She's hitched up probably for the last time... and we do seem to have a "job" still for the dually, both as a cargo/work trailer hauler and a fuel truck, so for now, it gets to stay. One other option is outfitting it down the road with a bed camper. Maybe. We've certainly gotten spoiled by our fiver!

Mostly wanted to post to thank this forum. Great folks here. Good knowledge level on the regulars. And awesome projects and insight as to which ones are worth doing. Thanks also to @gkainz for the referral to here.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
denverpilot

P.S. It started to rain heavily as we finished up, which made us chuckle. We've been caught in a couple of downpours in the thing and it's always kept us warm and dry... after we got inside! :-)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
Tbos

I'm sad to hear you go but fully understand. My Dad was a Flight Instructor for several years and loved it. Have fun and be safe. Thank your wife for us for her service as a Nurse. I truly believe they are some of the wold's unsung heroes that don't get recognized enough. Take care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Good luck with the sale and new life chapter. Rather than good bye let's just say so long for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:59 AM   #5
NorskeBob

Enjoy your new life's journey.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

WOW cfi I wish you all the best in the new chapter of your lives.I wish you all the best. I sure do miss my flying days.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Wishing you the best on your new direction(s). Life is continually evolving for all of us so for now you might be selling the trailer, but, it sounds like you really liked RVing so I suspect you'll be back when things change again. As circumstances in our lives changed we too left the RVing life for about 15 years. We knew how much we liked it and what it afforded us so when our life situation changed yet again, we got back into it and love it more now than we did before. So, looking forward to the day that things come back around and you will be back on the forum sharing camping stories! Good luck!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 PM   #8
denverpilot

Thanks all! I'll stay on the forum if nothing else to drool over the lovely tow rigs thread!

And yeah, we'll be back to camping one way or another eventually!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:33 AM   #9
notanlines

Denver, I actually did laugh out loud at your third paragraph "get all of the stuff out of it" when I thought of the literally hundreds of times we have read the old "we are just going to have the DW, one kid, the dog and a few items in the rig. No way we are going to have hundreds of pounds in the trailer."
Brenda and I are having serious conversations about trading the Raptor for a new Alpine 3500. I hate to think of taking the time to remove all our STUFF from one to another. Especially in the rain.
We all enjoyed your posts here. Take care .....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
mikell

Probably some won't like this but buy an old class C and have it ready to go on a moments notice. That's what we do now with our 5er about 50 miles away. We have lots of friends and places to just pull in and visit. Use the 5er about once a month.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
dcg9381

Flight instructor for private pilots: So you're going to be massively underpaid while people try to kill you all day long? :-)

Sorry to hear you're leaving. Sure you want to sell it? There are a number of pilots who will pay for "private" instruction on location in their aircraft and other advantages to having your own mobile place to live....
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Flight instructor for private pilots: So you're going to be massively underpaid while people try to kill you all day long? :-)

Sorry to hear you're leaving. Sure you want to sell it? There are a number of pilots who will pay for "private" instruction on location in their aircraft and other advantages to having your own mobile place to live....

Hahaha. Yup. Pretty much. Regular flirts with death for a non-livable wage. LOL!

Technically I'll be able to do any rating, Private through ATP eventually here, plus Instrument, both single and multi-engine... Whether the clubs nearby and their insurance companies agree, is probably a conversation in the near-future.

I co-own a Cessna 182 and my co-owner wants to be my first paying customer pretty bad, so that'll be a Flight Review for him... he's been flying for 50 years so even though I can probably beat him up a little, I don't think I'll have any qualms about signing off on that! (We won't be switching the insurance to commercial and/or teaching in that airplane though.)

As far as private instruction goes, I doubt anyone will be hunting for a freshly minted but old-ish instructor for their millionaire kids flying their own airplane -- but I do know one very experienced older instructor who got an offer like that. Rumor is they put her up in the "guest house" on the ranch (which had its own airstrip) which was bigger than any house I've ever owned... :-) No fifth wheel needed. ;-)

Never know. The fiver market may be so soft it doesn't sell. No idea how long to expect in that regard, but it's at a mega-dealer on consignment. I won't be uninstalling the hitch from the truck until all the paperwork is signed and the check clears, that's for sure! :-)