Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
NorskeBob

Question Jacks up or jacks down

This is the first RV that has a hydraulic leveling system - wonder what most of you do.

1. When you park it at your home between trips do you keep the rear jacks down and leveled.
I was thinking of only putting the rear jacks down and leveling the RV when I will be putting the slides out.

We store our RV for a few months in the winter down south and it will be stored with the front jacks down and the batteries (2) disconnected - any issues with this?

As a side note - our parking spot next to the garage is about 2 1/2" "off-level" (low on the drivers side). When I leveled the RV the drivers side tires were about 3/4" off the asphalt. To keep the tires on the ground I put some pressure treated 5/4" x 6" decking boards under the tires to keep them on the boards. I did not think I would have to carry boards with me to help leveling the RV. So I am thinking of still carrying some 2"x8" boards and some 5/4" X6 "decking boards to put under the tires when we park in a spot that is 2-3" off level (most of the sites in NY state parks are not "level")

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
canesfan

I didn't at first but now I do. My spot in the yard has become more unlevel than it was and I'm not wanting any refer issues from unlevelness. It also helps take some weight off the tires, especially when sitting 3-4 months over the winter. If you do leave them down Lippert recommends putting silicon on them every now and then, more often in salty climates.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
UsTwo

My jacks are up when sitting.. Let them mice's find their own ladder..no, really I have a phobia about mice climbing up the jacks to the trailer, they are up when sitting and not out camping...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
BuxCamper

My jacks are generally also up when sitting unless I know I'm going to be in the camper a lot.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
xcntrk

You're probably going to get a lot of different opinions here; use what makes most sense to you and your circumstances.

For me, I only store with front jacks down if the ground is level. If not level, then I'll drop all jacks and auto-level so that water will run off the unit correctly when stored for long durations.

As for battery, many have upgraded to a dual+ battery setup and installed a disconnect right at the battery for storage. The factory disconnect, as we all have learned, doesn't entirely disconnect service from the coach for whatever reason and leaves some systems with idle power (enough to eventually run the batts down).

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Canonman

We store the Cougar through the winter next to the house. Jacks down, 5er level, batteries out and stored in the garage with a Battery Tender. Just de-winterized and no problems. Leaving on the 1st trip of the season Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1501 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	12505  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
MattHelm21

I like the jacks retracted while stored but I will level up in a hurry if I intent to work in/on the trailer for any length of time.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
Terry W.

OK I'm just anal our's has 4 stabilizers I put 4 down even at home. I just feel if I'm going to open the slides I put them down
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
bobbecky

We fulltime, and there have been times we are at a site for an extended period of time, and not always a level site. Obviously, our jacks are down all the time, and sometimes the tires are not fully in contact with the ground. The hydraulic jacks on these rigs are capable of supporting a rig close to twice the weight of the heaviest one of these rigs. I do spray the rams every month or so, and have had zero problems with the jacks or the tires. These jacks are not stabilizers, and are designed to support a lot of weight.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
CaptnJohn

I store in summer for 3 months. Jacks are up, landing gear down, nose high for water run off. A real battery disconnect has been installed so I only check water level.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks