Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
timsease

Dead battery

I have a 27RDS X Lyte 5er. If I turn OFF the battery switch and leave the unit parked I get a dead battery in about 2 or 3 weeks. I recharge the battery, re install, and hook back up. I get a spark when I hook up the positive lead. REMEMBER, THE BATTERY SWITCH IS OFF. Is it the propane alarm? What am I missing?
timsease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: Dead battery

The propane alarm, stereo, carbon monoxide alarm, remote control master unit, front jacks all remain "powered up" even with the battery cutoff switch in the off position. So, it's no wonder your battery is discharged in 2-3 weeks. Remember that completely discharging a deep cycle battery will shorten its life, so disconnecting a battery cable is one way to stop the drain. Yes, you will probably get a spark when reconnecting the positive terminal, since all of those parasitic drains will "power up" as soon as you touch the battery terminal.

Many of us have installed a "second battery cutoff switch" on either the positive or the negative battery terminal to physically disconnect the battery from the trailer 12 volt system. You can use either terminal, effectively either one will stop voltage flow through your battery and eliminate all drain on your system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
timsease

Thank you for the quick reply. Looks like a cut off switch will soon be installed.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsease View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. Looks like a cut off switch will soon be installed.
Great move. I don't know of anything the switch provided cuts off except things you forgot to turn off. Had your problem and added both a cut off switch and 2nd battery. Shut down June/July August and Sept had nearly a full charge.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
Mike484

That's why I'm glad I have electrical at our storage. I even run the AC just to try and keep it dehumidified.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
whitescrew77

Here is a picture of what I did with the switch and extra battery in our toy hauler. I added the second battery, red disconnect on the left, 250 amp fuse with extra fuses, and a 12 volt positive bus to connect everything or add more stuff to it. I also secured the batteries down so they don't bounce around going down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3814.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	11394  
whitescrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
whitescrew77

Here is a better pic of the switch. It allows me to run either battery by itself or tie them together in parallel. I found all the components on Amazon except for the extra battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3815.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	11395  
Old 11-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
Campy

Yep my factory "shutoff" is far from a shutoff if it don't actually shut everything off! I just disconnect the battery for the winter and keep a tender on it, it's inside the shop so I can keep an eye on it.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #9
timsease

How about this???? My 27 RDS comes with a battery switch. With some minor changes I can use the switch to completely isolate the battery from the RV Electrical System. Question is ,,,,,,
Does the switch have the Capacity to pass ALL the electrical load through it under normal operating conditions?I hate to buy a $25 dollar switch if it isn't really necessary.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
whitescrew77

I did my setup because I wanted a true disconnect and also dual batteries. Yes the switch it up to the job. It is rated up to 32 volts with a continuous amp load of 350 amps. I put only a 250 amp fuse in there and that is probably way too big in amperage. I know my camper doesn't pull that hard in amperage with any 12v load, but I also didn't want to fool with the factory disconnect switch for warranty purposes. If my rig was older, sure I'd consider digging down to it to rewire it. Also I only had to buy a few components to do it as I already had the tools, time, and wire to make it happen.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #11
vampress_me

So I have the elementary, idiotic question that goes along with this. When our battery cut off is switched to off, the front jacks don't work. The switch has to be on for them to work. So ours must be wired different? And, how do they do that to begin with? Are there literally some of the wires they just bypass the switch with and connect directly to the battery in the big cable? I've always assumed wire cable went to switch, they cut the cable to attach to both ends of switch and then run to battery. Looking in the battery area doesn't really tell me much as far as where the wire cable goes.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:32 AM   #12
theasphaltrv'er

Guess they screwed up when the wired our little 26sab cuz the cut off switch cuts everything off but the front landing gear. Suits my fancy wired thata way.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery