Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #1
sharker6

2017 29RES max water pressure

Hi, This is my third RV and I've always kept the water pressure at 40 PSI. I remember the dealer saying I could increase the pressure on my new Cougar to something over 40 PSI but I don't remember what it is. The owners manual isn't saying what the max pressure should be. Anyone know the answer?
sharker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

2017 29RES max water pressure

Welcome to the forum!!

I wouldn't go over 50. The non adjustable regulators are set to 45-50 PSI.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Campy

Ok my dealer said the modern plumbing systems are capable of handling standard city water pressure so what would be the reason to limit the pressure? My Cougar is all PEX not the old school vinyl tubing. The only thing I see in the system that could be an issue is the water pump itself as everything else looks like it would handle the unrestricted city pressure. Our city pressure in my town is somewhere between 50-60 psi so unless you got some crazy pressure somewhere I don't see the issue for just 5-10 psi or so. Most campgrounds I stay at you need the pump anyway as they seem weak at 25-30 psi, stayed at one northeast of Columbus and it was 10 psi most of the time.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Pull Toy

As previously stated, you need pressure regulation. It's cheap insurance, ten bucks of regulator, will save you several hundreds in water damage! Also odds are your "salesman never spent a night in a campground. LOL

I personally wouldn't go above 45+/- psi. While some campgrounds are substantially under pressure, I've also stayed at CGs with 110psi. Guaranteed to find every weak connector/ leaky seal in your entire camper... all over your carpet/tiles/countertop etc... if not regulated. It's not worth it to me, I've lived very comfortably with a pressure regulator for 35+ years.If the CG water pressure is OK it will pass thru, if not, it will be automatically dialed back to a safe level.

If you suddenly need extra pressure, for a wash down, you can always Siamese at the water tap with a "Y" valve, and a garden hose.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's true that the PEX plumbing in "modern RV's" is the same as most "stick built" houses. That isn't the concern. Rather it's the "lowest bidder" plastic faucets, PVC elbows and Tees that scare me. I've lived with a pressure regulator for a number of years and never had a problem. Like others, I've been to campgrounds with water pressure well over 100 PSI and with the regulator, my "cheap plastic plumbing" never knew the difference and was "as happy" as the PEX attached to it.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Pmedic4

Least common denominator - RV plumbing fixtures

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's true that the PEX plumbing in "modern RV's" is the same as most "stick built" houses. That isn't the concern. Rather it's the "lowest bidder" plastic faucets, PVC elbows and Tees that scare me. I've lived with a pressure regulator for a number of years and never had a problem. Like others, I've been to campgrounds with water pressure well over 100 PSI and with the regulator, my "cheap plastic plumbing" never knew the difference and was "as happy" as the PEX attached to it.......
Agree with these comments, and know from personal experience. Hooked up at home quickly one time to the hose, and just forgot about the pressure coming from the tap. The sink faucet just came apart, and surprisingly, the first thing the happened, is the spout just blew out of the faucet assembly. It was a friction fit, and had 2 'o-rings', but the pressure was too much for the spout/aerator. At first I thought it was just the aerator was just clogged with the usual crud, but replaced it, and same thing.

Ended up replacing it with a regular home Delta faucet I found on clearance at one of the big box lumber yards. Fortunately, didn't find any other leaks. Of course don't like the standard vanity faucet, so looking for that, but need another clearance special.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #7
mfifield01

I went with the newer Valterra regulator. It's 50-55 psi.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...ater+regulator
Old 09-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Campy

If you guys are finding pressures that high you would surely need a regulator. My neighbor that works for the local water company told me that "code" is 85 psi max and if it exceeds that the city is responsible to provide a "pressure regulating valve" (PRV) to the customers. He also told me that a lot of city's across the country are upgrading their systems for more pressure 100-110 psi for the fire departments and installing PRV's in all the homes at no charge. I have a regulator but so far I have never found a place that forced me to use it, for me it's always the other way around and lacking pressure.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
sharker6

Thanks for the informed info. I dialed my adjustable to a hair over 50 psi and will keep an eye on it. I also left mine off by mistake about 10 years ago and paid the price at the fittings going to the water heater and pump.
sharker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
nellie1289

here is my tip of the day, always turn the water off when you are camping and leave for a while(day trip) etc and only turn the pump on when you need it. no need to cause any unnecessary flooding.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #11
jsmith948

All good info/advice. Recently found damp carpet outside the cabinet in which the pump is stored. Removed the access panel to find a fine mist of water coming from the pump discharge quick connect fitting (FloJet). There was a hairline crack in the fitting. Local RV dealer had a bag of assorted fluted and threaded fittings for $10 - so the fix was easy.
We were at a campground that had very high water pressure. We had just returned from a day trip. Luckily, we caught the leak as soon as we turned the water back on. Trailer is 5 years old and we always use one of those non-adjustable regulators. Something else to carry in the spare parts tote

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Cbrez

Jsmith - do I understand correctly that you turn off your water when you leave the campsite for the day? I have never thought to do that, but it makes a ton of sense.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #13
jsmith948

That's correct. Good thing too. We were gone about 8 hrs. Would have been a real mess.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
Cbrez

RVing seems so simple, yet I am amazed at what I learn from this forum every day. Thanks much.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
RVing seems so simple, yet I am amazed at what I learn from this forum every day. Thanks much.

Come spend a week with me working on them..

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Come spend a week with me working on them..
Yeah, we are first time RV owners after a lifetime of tent camping. I grew up fishing the Chesapeake Bay. Not until reading this forum did I come to realize the RV is a land yacht - a hole in the ground to pour money. Our 5er is relatively new so no problems so far, but some where, some time when we least expect it...$$$$

So as an RV tech expert, when you are camping is it easy to crack open a cold one and just watch as the guy next door struggles with a problem or is that where you do your pro bono work

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Old 11-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #17
Shadow153

It's not the pipes you have to worry about, it's the cheap faucets and fittings you need to worry about, the pressure shouldn't be more than 45-50 psi. Or the fixtures can crack, or fittings can break.
Shadow153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The other side of this. The S&B house had the plumbing installed by a licensed master plumber or his apprentice under his charge. At the RV assembly plant the guy/gal doing the plumbing before lunch may the person installing the decals on the exterior after lunch.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
So as an RV tech expert, when you are camping is it easy to crack open a cold one and just watch as the guy next door struggles with a problem or is that where you do your pro bono work

I don’t consider myself an “expert” but yes I will offer my services with nothing expected in return. After all we are ALL just trying to enjoy ourselves.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #20
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
All good info/advice. Recently found damp carpet outside the cabinet in which the pump is stored. Removed the access panel to find a fine mist of water coming from the pump discharge quick connect fitting (FloJet). There was a hairline crack in the fitting. Local RV dealer had a bag of assorted fluted and threaded fittings for $10 - so the fix was easy.
We were at a campground that had very high water pressure. We had just returned from a day trip. Luckily, we caught the leak as soon as we turned the water back on. Trailer is 5 years old and we always use one of those non-adjustable regulators. Something else to carry in the spare parts tote
I would be cautious using those non adjustable “regulators”. I have used them before going with a real regulator, and use a gauge on the line inside the convenience center of our fifth wheel, and one day noticed the pressure slowly going higher while I watched. It just kept climbing and we were in one of those parks that have pressure in excess of 100 psi. Those cheap things are really nothing more than a restrictor rather than a regulator. Spending the bucks to protect your plumbing with a quality regulator is just like using a good EMS device to protect your electrical system in the RV.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote