Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
tschlags

Installing a hitch on a 2018 Cougar 327res with sliding bumper

So here it go's. My first post. Have a 1650 super hawk Crestliner fishing boat that I would like to tow behind my Cougar. I realize this will put me at the max length for double towing but that's not my problem. The problem is the sliding bumper. Should I just do away with it? Probably will only tow the boat 4 or 5 times this summer. Any ideas would help.
tschlags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Cougar didn't have a sliding bumper, but the ones I've seen with it don't appear to have an easy solution to installing a hitch and keeping the sliding tray. There are a couple of "receiver kits" that will fit without the tray. One is offered by Curt Hitch: http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703

We had a local welding fabrication company install the receiver on our trailer. It's "custom welded" to our specific application. They also installed a similar receiver on our Springdale. Our trailer is 31' long , the truck is a "short bed crew cab" and with the boat hitched, we measure just under 74' long. So, yes, you're probably going to be "pushing the limit" in length, but it is certainly a "doable mod". It is extremely convenient to be able to tow the boat and camper without using two vehicles.

Honestly, the rear of your trailer is the "roughest ride" of the entire rig. We tow a 18' bass boat behind our fifth wheel on most summer trips and when we don't, I have a Harbor Freight aluminum cargo rack, but it's never been on the trailer except when I put it together and installed it to make sure it fit. There is a warning in the Curt Hitch manual that warns not to use the receiver with a cargo tray without additional straps/braces to prevent the stresses from bouncing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Javi

my cougar has the sliding bumper, if you're going to install a hitch you're going to have to remove the sliding bumper. And have a welding Fab Company install a completely new bumper which will support your hitch to the frame.

This sliding bumper was a brilliant idea with a lackluster execution. I wouldn't put the 24 quart ice chest on that goofy thing if I were going to pull the trailer down the road. Not to mention with the overhang from the rear wheels the spare tire hits when you go over a speed bump can you imagine with another 24 to 36 inches behind it.

Javi
Old 02-21-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
tschlags

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have had my stepson do away with the sliding bumper when he had to replace it.Yes the normal "weld break on the tubing that all Cougars have. Will probably take it to the local Weld/Fab shop and just weld the bumper and receiver to the frame. Thanks Again
tschlags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #5
ADQ K9

Ha Ha Javi,
You are so correct about the spare tire. I also have a sliding bumper , first thing I did was remove the spare tire and rack after ground contact. Threw the rack in the shed and the spare in the front cargo compartment. Not sure if I even want to use the thing to haul fire wood.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Canonman

"This sliding bumper was a brilliant idea with a lackluster execution. I wouldn't put the 24 quart ice chest on that goofy thing"
I couldn't agree more. Simple mod is to get rid of the sliding rack (Total POS) and have the fab shop install a class IV receiver hitch made for the job. $400 to $500 around here.
Then you can decide if you want to insert a cargo rack, bike rack or pull a double.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
RLo

Remove the rack for sure, there was a hitch mounted under my sliding rack when I bought it. Wish I still had pictures it was Only about 6” of clearance in the back. very tricky getting in and out of places with out dragging. Now I can use the same ball mount on the back of the camper as the back of the 3/4 ton after removing the rack and moving the bumper up

My hitch is just 2 chunks of 2.5x2.5x1/4 square tubing welded to the 1/4” steel plates that held the rack on with a receiver tube welded to them.
RLo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, hitch