Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #21
travelin texans

Click image for larger version

Name:	1217141416.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	15366

On my new 5er a few years ago the plastic bushings, rather what was left of them pushed out with a screwdriver.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #22
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBrown View Post
Thanks Brent! Yes, since my RV is brand spanking new. I wanted to do this right away. I knew it would be a good investment.
Congrats on your new upgrade, you won't be disappointed!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #23
MVBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
A pneumatic hammer will drive the plastic bushings out easy, if you are planning on doing your own work.
Actually I do have a pneumatic chisel, but no air at my lot. I have to use this instead. Just to speed up the bolt removal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Impact.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	807.7 KB
ID:	15371  
MVBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #24
Tinner12002

Quote:
Actually I do have a pneumatic chisel, but no air at my lot. I have to use this instead.
If you haven't done your RV yet, not sure if pics you posted are pics of yours or not but someone posted that getting either a ball joint puller or some tool used on the frontend repair of a car is great for getting the bolts backed out of the hangers because of them being pressed in on a spline. I had to pound mine out and then pound the new ones back in. The puller had I known about it would have been much easier!
Just looked online, its the ball joint service kit. Advance auto will let you use one with a small deposit. I'm sure other stores will to, just have to check.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #25
travelin texans

I used a large C clamp to press in the new bushings, with a dab of grease on them they pressed in wth no problem.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #26
MVBrown

Since mine are so new. I can't imagine that they would be SET in there that bad. I do have a nice array of pullers and front end tools, so thanks for the comments. The job looks fairly straight forward. There is a great video out here ->
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #27
MVBrown

Woohoo! The new kit is in!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EQ1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	15381  
Old 03-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #28
MVBrown

Dexter E-Z Flex Equalizer Installed

Well I was finally able to install the Dexter E-Z Flex this weekend. Boy what a difference in the quality of parts over stock. Check out the before and after photos. Also the Dexter bushings were far superior to the Mylar bushings in the stock arrangement. The shackles are beefed up. The wet bolts provide a source of lubrication; although they have not yet had grease pumped into them in this photo, and the install was fairly straight forward. I can't wait to road test it this month.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stock Equalizer.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	15596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter_EZ_Flex.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	15598  
Old 03-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #29
busterbrown

Quote:
Well I was finally able to install the Dexter E-Z Flex this weekend. Boy what a difference in the quality of parts over stock. Check out the before and after photos. Also the Dexter bushings were far superior to the Mylar bushings in the stock arrangement. The shackles are beefed up. The wet bolts provide a source of lubrication; although they have not yet had grease pumped into them in this photo, and the install was fairly straight forward. I can't wait to road test it this month.
Looks good. I'm looking at upgrading the shackles and installing a wet bolt kit for my Bullet this summer prior to a big 3 week vacation. Was the install difficult? Did you jack up one side at a time? The Dexter E-Z flex doesn't look like an option for my Bullet as the wide stance axles are mounted via a very long hanger. Will have to look at other options for a hanger replacement.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #30
MVBrown

Alternatives to Dexter

Well the install was fairly straight forward. I posted a video earlier in the thread from the folks at eTrailer. I used a tool called a Safe Jack which is very robust (also very expensive) to get the RV frame up in the air, and yes, I did one side at a time. (Remember to Never try to lift the RV by the axles). After I got it up on stands. I found one of the nuts wouldn't come off due to a stripped outter thread at the bolt of the rear spring eyelet. This apparently happened during initial assembly. I didn't want to get hung up on it, so I moved on. I was able to come back to it later, and get it out with a combination of tools. So all in all about two hours per side for me. Granted I was working remotely from my RV lot which is Gravel . I found that unlike the video. I had to remove all the nuts at the center hanger from both sides of the shackles. This made them come out more easily. Also I have long punches that go in my air hammer. I used my shop hammer to drive out the bolts. Oddly enough they wouldn't come out by striking the end of the bolt threads. So make sure and use a decent length punch of adequate size. Also I am used to the nuances of getting the leaf spring eyelet to align with the bolt holes in the hangers. So be patient! This can take a little back and forth haggling. Lastly Lippert also makes equalizers. You may want to look at them.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #31
Brentw

Good job and thanks for sharing.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle