Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
Baguak

Baffling power issue

I have a keystone carbon 2015. Nothing works off battery and I can’t get the slides in because they require a battery. Off generator and shore power everything works fine... except the slides. It is like the rig doesn’t know that there are batteries!
Tried the following
Bypass the disconnect switch
New battery
All cables are tight that I can see
All fuses I can see
All breakers I can see

It is like there is an online fuse or something I can’t find. I am stuck! Any thoughts? Why make a slideout that requires a battery?
Baguak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
travelin texans

Other than battery what would you recommend to power slides? They're designed to be somewhat self contained, some want to go off grid.
There are also inline fuse in/on the power wire going to the pump & also a circuit breaker, if I recall it's a 50 amp, near the pump. If they work on shore power then the converter is apparently working.
If unplugged from shore power do you have lights, furnace, or water pump, if so then that leads me back to circuit breakers or fuse near hydraulic pump/batteries.
I don't have generator, but the issue may be in the transfer switch. Someone with a genny hopefully will chime in on that.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Baguak

I would think that the slides should work via generator or shore power which they do but NOT if the battery isnt there so that means that no matter what power I am hooked up to I still need a battery.
That said, I am with you on the inline fuse but here’s the thing.
The generator will start off a battery but nothing else seems to know there is a battery lol. Thanks for the brainstorming.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
travelin texans

So you're saying other than starting the genny nothing else 12 volt will work If shore power is disconnected? What you're explaining sounds like your converter has bit the dust especially If you don't have 12 volt when connected to shore power. The converter "converts" 110 volt shore power or genny power to 12 volt & to charge the batteries. Might check the back of the converter for loose cables or blown fuses. Have you checked near the batteries for a loose ground or just bad ground connection due to paint or possibly corrosion.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
bobbecky

It sure sounds like the thermal breaker near your battery and where the hydraulic pump is located, has failed. It is pretty inexpensive and should be easy to replace. Many of us have replaced the 40 or 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp breaker due to the lighter breaker not holding up very well. This is also recommended by Lippert on these rigs when you are having problems getting the hydraulics to work.

40 or 50 amp breaker normally installed by Keystone:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auto-reset breaker.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	15171  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 AM   #6
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
It sure sounds like the thermal breaker near your battery and where the hydraulic pump is located, has failed. It is pretty inexpensive and should be easy to replace. Many of us have replaced the 40 or 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp breaker due to the lighter breaker not holding up very well. This is also recommended by Lippert on these rigs when you are having problems getting the hydraulics to work.

So your saying Keystone recommends using a 80amp in place of the 40-50 amp breaker?? What about wiring issues if there was a problem, can wiring handle 80 amps??
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #7
jsmith948

Check the reverse polarity fuses on the converter. If the battery cables were connected incorrectly - even for an instant - the fuses are blown. If they are lown, the converter will not charge your battery. Do you have 13+ volts at the battery?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguak View Post
I have a keystone carbon 2015. Nothing works off battery and I can’t get the slides in because they require a battery. Off generator and shore power everything works fine... except the slides. It is like the rig doesn’t know that there are batteries!
Tried the following
Bypass the disconnect switch
New battery
All cables are tight that I can see
All fuses I can see
All breakers I can see

It is like there is an online fuse or something I can’t find. I am stuck! Any thoughts? Why make a slideout that requires a battery?
Is this a new to you camper? Or a new development in a camper you've owned for a while?

Have you done anything with/to the camper just prior to the current situation? Removed the battery? Had work done on it? Did it work previously? A little more of the story will help.

With the battery being new, I'm voting on the reverse polarity fuses being blown.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post

Ok so that thing had loose wires dangling from it and the nut holding them on was about to fall off. Can I bypass it to test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #10
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
So your saying Keystone recommends using a 80amp in place of the 40-50 amp breaker?? What about wiring issues if there was a problem, can wiring handle 80 amps??

I will look that up and check it out!

Old 01-28-2018, 06:46 AM   #11
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Is this a new to you camper? Or a new development in a camper you've owned for a while?

Have you done anything with/to the camper just prior to the current situation? Removed the battery? Had work done on it? Did it work previously? A little more of the story will help.

With the battery being new, I'm voting on the reverse polarity fuses being blown.

Yes, I tried to change the batteries... lol

Old 01-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #12
Baguak

Quote:

I have been searching the inter web forever. Any chance you know where that might be on a 2015 keystone carbon?

Old 01-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguak View Post
I have been searching the inter web forever. Any chance you know where that might be on a 2015 keystone carbon?

If you reversed the hook ups even for a second, they will blow. Remember it's not like a car battery. Black is positive and white is negative (usually, YMMV). The reverse polarity fuses may be in your power center, two 40amp fuses off to themselves or on the back of your converter. You'll have to look. I'd start at the battery to make sure it's correct and work my way forward from there.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #14
Baguak

Quote:
If you reversed the hook ups even for a second, they will blow. Remember it's not like a car battery. Black is positive and white is negative (usually, YMMV). The reverse polarity fuses may be in your power center, two 40amp fuses off to themselves or on the back of your converter. You'll have to look. I'd start at the battery to make sure it's correct and work my way forward from there.

I don’t think I reversed them ever but I did take them off with the generator running and the generator stopped.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Those fuses are worth a check anyway. At least you can eliminate them as a a possibility.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
Hatch8339

Hi there does your trailer have a remote for the slides if the slides work on the remote there are fuses blown in the remote box hope this helps happens twice a year on my Cougar
Hatch8339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

The reverse polarity fuses are the two 40 amp (red) fuses located to the left of the "vertical stack of fuses" in the power center. Typically they will "blow" with any momentary reverse power application, so if you even touched the battery terminals with the wires reversed, the fuses are supposed to blow.

Given your description, I'd guess that either these fuses are bad or with your comment, "Ok so that thing had loose wires dangling from it and the nut holding them on was about to fall off. Can I bypass it to test?" It's possible that you also have loose connections going from your battery to the power center DC distribution circuits. You can't "bypass" that DC breaker with the loose terminals, that is one of the "major components" that provide power to your trailer wiring.

NOTE: As you can see in the second picture, on some power distribution centers you have to remove the faceplate to locate the reverse polarity fuses. If yours is like that, please PLEASE remember to disconnect shore power and turn off the generator before removing the faceplate !!!!!! Otherwise, you risk being electrocuted if you touch the wrong thing !!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO-FusePanel.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	15173   Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO DISTRIBUTION PANEL.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	15174  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
No, not Keystone, but Lippert recommends the heavier breaker. Most of the rigs that have the hydraulics, slides and leveling systems, use #4 copper from the batteries to the hydraulic pump and to the electric panel, and that is more than capable to use the 80 amp breaker on. Since upgrading our breaker, due to the system stopping repeatedly when operating it, we have not had the problem.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch8339 View Post
Hi there does your trailer have a remote for the slides if the slides work on the remote there are fuses blown in the remote box hope this helps happens twice a year on my Cougar

No remote for them but that would be cool!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #20
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
This generic TS guide couldn’t be much simpler

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...900-Series.pdf

I seriously cannot find two 40 amp fuses anywhere on this thing. Any other location they may be?

Tags
power