Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Povo

Avoiding catastrophe

Have had our 5ver a few years but haven't had much chance to get out other than short local trips (looking ahead to when we have more time). So my question is, how do you avoid things like low clearance (I'd hate to have my air conditioner get sheared off and land on the vehicle behind me), or other such obstacles? Case in point: on I5 in Oregon going north towards Portland there is a spot that is a "truck route". It is merely a place where two lanes split off the freeway and run paralell to the freeway for a bit. There happens to be an overpass along the way. I have no idea if the truck route is due to clearance issues. I know I'm only a foot or two shorter than a semi. So should I take the truck route?

So, how do I avoid clearance or length (35' + TV) issues? Do things like Good Sam trip planning help?

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
x96mnn

Often think about the same thing myself. Really plan to start exploring a lot more and what the beast way will be to avoid making my 5ver a convertible. As well how to avoid getting in a tunnel or on a restricted road that does not allow propane or weight and end up with large fines.

The Internet provides a great ammount of detail, with enough time mapping out the best route would be possible, just the time end of it. There are actual truck maps you can buy to help with this as well.

I think I will make the purchase of either a truckers GPS or one of the few RV GPS on the market. The one that appears to get great reviews is the Garmin. Let's you put in the height of your camper and avoids low bridges and tunnels based on your info that you put in.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Knowing your high point height is the key. On every major freeway that we travelled in '09 the clearance was clearly marked and any "low clearance" underpasses were on a sign with LOTS of road to pull over and go around. Look at the map in my sig, we haven't had an issue in any of those states, and I used to tow a '97 Jayco that sat taller than my current rig. FWIW I have travelled the I-5 through Oregon to Seattle with my Jayco and never had to turn off the highway and take a "truck route'.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Wing-in-it

Best thing to do is PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings!
Like Chuckster said....any low clearances and weight restrictions are clearly posted.
100% of all struck objects (height) are from driver error.

One other thing when towing through some local streets....watch for low power/cable lines....especially after severe temperature changes or recent snow or ice. The cables will sag lower than normal.

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Use truck routes in town to be safe with low lights and cables. As for the highways if you stick to major roads you are normally fine, when you get off the beaten path you need to be careful. as already mentioned, know the height of your rv, give yourself a few inches (foot) room to spare and you will be fine. the reason I say to give a foot is overpass markings are not always accurate, there are times that a road is resurfaced and new signs not put up

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
x96mnn

Although I agree with paying attention to your surroundings, I am currently having to visit the New Jersey/New York often for business meetings. I find by the time my attention to the surroundings have occurred, it would mean I am stopped on a very busy highway because I cannot pass under the overpass. Yes I have not taken the AC or top off my camper but I am now stuck on the road. I would like to avoid this if at all possible!

Example, Macdonald bridge in Halifax, it is restricted to class B vehicles which I see posted no where. My dual rear wheel truck is classified as a class B, and I found out when flagged down and told to turn around. Luckily I was not hauling a 38ft camper behind me and was able to do so with ease. This is a toll both with 16 lanes of traffic, I would not want to make that error with the camper in tow.

On my last trip to Newark I am leaving liberty airport, my personal GPS leading the way which is a garmin 2757 which was the top rated GPS a year ago. The GPS for some reason would not stay attached to the window of the rent a car, during the 4 drops and attempts to put back on I must of hit the home button which was changed me to come back to Nova Scotia. Before I knew I am crossing the George Washington bridge, a number of lane and route changes happen so quick you are not able to calculate or read signs, 6 lanes multiple cuts in either directions with mutiple exits in less then 200ft. Camper in tow I can tell you turning around in the Bronx would have left me with a convertible. Thus my thinking behind the RV or truckers GPS. The GW bridge alone with the lower pass your done, yes you can read the sign that says 11ft but by then your blocking a lane access to New York City. I do not see the tow job being cheap.
2012 Sprinter 266
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
Although I agree with paying attention to your surroundings, I am currently having to visit the New Jersey/New York often for business meetings. I find by the time my attention to the surroundings have occurred, it would mean I am stopped on a very busy highway because I cannot pass under the overpass. Yes I have not taken the AC or top off my camper but I am now stuck on the road. I would like to avoid this if at all possible!

Example, Macdonald bridge in Halifax, it is restricted to class B vehicles which I see posted no where. My dual rear wheel truck is classified as a class B, and I found out when flagged down and told to turn around. Luckily I was not hauling a 38ft camper behind me and was able to do so with ease. This is a toll both with 16 lanes of traffic, I would not want to make that error with the camper in tow.

On my last trip to Newark I am leaving liberty airport, my personal GPS leading the way which is a garmin 2757 which was the top rated GPS a year ago. The GPS for some reason would not stay attached to the window of the rent a car, during the 4 drops and attempts to put back on I must of hit the home button which was changed me to come back to Nova Scotia. Before I knew I am crossing the George Washington bridge, a number of lane and route changes happen so quick you are not able to calculate or read signs, 6 lanes multiple cuts in either directions with mutiple exits in less then 200ft. Camper in tow I can tell you turning around in the Bronx would have left me with a convertible. Thus my thinking behind the RV or truckers GPS. The GW bridge alone with the lower pass your done, yes you can read the sign that says 11ft but by then your blocking a lane access to New York City. I do not see the tow job being cheap.
I could not have made the point any better! PAY ATTENTION , don't rely on electronics, read road signs. If there were no warning signs every truck on the highway would be getting tickets or crashing into overpasses. Just a simple sign like "TRUCK ROUTE >" should tell you something ... "no vehicles over 4 tons" or other weight limits .... "no hazmats". The signs are there but most folks are too busy to see them. Stepping down now, Hank

(I live in NJ and unless you were traveling at a high rate of speed (like me) in the left lane, there is no way you could miss the "Last Exit Before Bridge" signs in Englewood Cliffs.)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
x96mnn

Oh I saw the sign for the bridge but what did it mean to me, so what there was a bridge. I really had no clue where I was being a country boy coming from an island.

PS

Man was that a bridge lol.
2012 Sprinter 266
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

Old 12-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
Oh I saw the sign for the bridge but what did it mean to me, so what there was a bridge. I really had no clue where I was being a country boy coming from an island.

PS

Man was that a bridge lol.
No problem ...... we have tunnels and ferries also. With all the construction and detours constantly going on in this area even the newest upgrades on our GPS are useless. You are better off using it as a compass, at least you will be going in the right direction. I sure hope Santa doesn't get lost, Hank
Old 12-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Not trying to get this thread off track, but in '09 I was towing my '97 Jayco 323RKS (35') with my '94 F350 CC,LB,DRW. I paid $36.00 for the privilege of crossing the GW bridge (northbound). It was July before 9/11 so maybe no restrictions.

Yeah its a big bridge, but come out west and the Bay bridge will make you think twice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Chuck, come back and the toll increases will make you wish you left the trailer home. And the best part is the tolls change with time of day ... higher at peak times. (that may only be with E-Z pass but still hard to plan for) The toll is only one way ... They hope you don't come back for the free ride.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

That truck route by-pass on I-5 near PDX is because of the steep grade and heavy car traffic. It has helped keeping slow traffic away from those that go 55-60 or higher. Regarding interstates the DOT rules are for 16 ft clearance of any overhead item, (cables, overpasses etc.) any other roadways can and are different. Interstate clearance is allowed to be lower during construction of a overpass etc.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
That truck route by-pass on I-5 near PDX is because of the steep grade and heavy car traffic. It has helped keeping slow traffic away from those that go 55-60 or higher. Regarding interstates the DOT rules are for 16 ft clearance of any overhead item, (cables, overpasses etc.) any other roadways can and are different. Interstate clearance is allowed to be lower during construction of a overpass etc.
On the East coast we don't play by the rules. There are some lower clearances on the interstates but they are bypassed with quick off and back on ramps. There are electronic warnings with all sorts of bells and whistles and flashing lights. I guess it was cheaper than raising the overpasses. I know of at least two but there may be more since much of the interstates just took over existing roadways. Your tax dollars at work, Hank
Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
wahoonc

Quote:
DOT rules apparently vary from state to state? I promise we have A LOT of overpasses in NC that are well under 16'. In fact there is a stretch of i-95 where they are under 14'!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Its been rumored that us LEFT coast people break the rules

Old 12-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

Maybe that is why the SR71 was trailered up I-5 on the west coast. It just fit with the rudder removed. I never looked up that DOT rule but, was told it was by ODOT years ago. Around here it is true. I was also told that there must be 5 miles level without turns ever so often for landing/take offs by the military. Any old Air Force guys know if that is true? That idea may have worked at one time but, now?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Maybe that is why the SR71 was trailered up I-5 on the west coast. It just fit with the rudder removed. I never looked up that DOT rule but, was told it was by ODOT years ago. Around here it is true. I was also told that there must be 5 miles level without turns ever so often for landing/take offs by the military. Any old Air Force guys know if that is true? That idea may have worked at one time but, now?
That is how old Ike wanted it. They were all designed to move troops not RVs.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
grayghost03

Get the Rand McNally Trucker or Motor Carrier Atlas, it is available in large scale, and will give you warnings of most of the trouble spots, they are not the cheapest, but neither are those AC's. The Rand McNally RV GPS also gives you most of these areas, but you need to keep it updated. Add as others have said. "NO YOUR HEIGHT" mine is 13'4" so I pay close attention.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #19
hankaye

Ken / Claudia
"Maybe that is why the SR71 was trailered up I-5 on the west coast. It just fit with the rudder removed. I never looked up that DOT rule but, was told it was by ODOT years ago. Around here it is true. I was also told that there must be 5 miles level without turns ever so often for landing/take offs by the military. Any old Air Force guys know if that is true? That idea may have worked at one time but, now?"

That's what i've heard, maybe Urban myth maybe true, But West Virginia did get a pass on that requirement ... think about it.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #20
bsmith0404

My understanding is that the DOT rules are uniform across the country, but many older roads are grandfathered. The Rand McNally truckers book is good, about $15 and available at most truck stops. It's good to know your height and do a little route research. For example, overpasses on the OK turnpikes are all over 14', but anything over 13'6" requires a permit. When I measured my 5er, I got 13'9", I avoid the turnpike. If I didn't check ahead of time, I would have buying a permit when I got to the toll booth

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote