Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Yes? No? Maybe?

https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com...hisper-series/
Rolling Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
CWtheMan

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a quick comparison:

Champion: Known history of reliable operation in the RV environment
Firman: "Newcomer" to the RV market

Champion: 3 year warranty with an reliable tech/customer support
Firman: "Newcomer" to the RV market

Champion: 3400/3100 watt output
Firman: 3300/3000 watt output

Champion: 80.9 lbs empty
Firman: 90.0 lbs empty

Champion: 59 dB at 1/4 load
Firman: 63 dB at 1/4 load

Champion: 1.6 gal tank provides 7.5 hour run time at 1/4 load
Firman: 1.8 gal tank provides 9 hour run time at 1/4 load

Champion: 3 year recreational warranty
Firman: 3 year recreational warranty (owner's manual stipulates 1 year parts/labor, remainder is parts only/no labor)

Champion: $799 at Tractor Supply and EBay (sometimes on sale at Costo for $599)
Firman: $811 on Amazon $799 on EBay

These are just a few of the "1:1 comparisons" there are many others. I'd urge anyone considering buying the Firman generator to consider support, repair facilities, parts availability and applicability to their specific use/need requirements.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Champion: 59 dB at 1/4 load
Firman: 63 dB at 1/4 load
And while 4 dB doesn't sound like much (sorry for the pun) that means it's over twice as loud.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
EU3000i: MSRP $2599.95, for 400 less peak watts
Champion 3400: $799 or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just a quick comparison:

These are just a few of the "1:1 comparisons" there are many others. I'd urge anyone considering buying the Firman generator to consider support, repair facilities, parts availability and applicability to their specific use/need requirements.
I believe there is only one Firman warranty repair facility, in Peoria AZ.

Still happy with my Champion.

-Brian
Old 02-08-2018, 04:21 AM   #6
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
And while 4 dB doesn't sound like much (sorry for the pun) that means it's over twice as loud.
Well I'm not a sound tech but the way I understand it from a sound tech, something only 4dB louder wouldn't be considered twice as loud as something 4 dBs less.
Most people wouldn't be able to hear hardly any difference of 4 dB. Most can hear a 5-6 dB difference. The Frequency of the sound might be more noticeable.
You would be at least 6 dB, some say 10 dB, before the sound perceived to be is considered twice as loud. A doubling of power would be 3 dB but not sound.
So in conclusion, a 4 dB difference would hardly be noticeable the ear.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a LOT more to the perception of sound than just "loudness". Frequency, intensity, volume, persistence (the list could go on forever it seems) all play into the "INDIVIDUAL" perception of sound. Sound and noise might seem the same, but they aren't. One is what we hear, the other is what annoys us. NOISE is irritating, SOUND (at the same "perceived level" may be laughter, music, our favorite person speaking. One we wish would "just go away" and the other we "move closer to enjoy".....

So, now you know why I quoted the dB difference in the two generators and didn't discuss (as much as I'm accused of talking/posting long posts) which generator was "louder or more quiet"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
notanlines

Just to go along with what y'all mentioned, are many noise related irritations much worse than a generator that constantly surges under power or at idle. It always makes me wish that some good hearted soul would put it out of my misery with lead poisoning.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

My Subaru/Robin inverter genny still works fine with nearly 2000hrs on the meter. I hope it keeps running but Subaru has discontinued all small engine powered equipment the beginning of Oct and I saw these at the Cleveland RV show sold by a local RV dealership so was curious. Approx same price comes with oil, hour/volt/cycle meter, fuel gauge included so...
Old 02-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

There's just no "history" as new as they are. Might turn out to be the "next Honda runner-up" or may turn out to be the next "anchor".... Time will tell, but with so many other "documented competitors", I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for Firman or a Cleveland RV dealer...... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Went on their website. They claim to have made millions for the rest of the world under other brand names including Koehler but I have no clue the reputation of Koehler generators. Just started shipping to the US in ‘15. Hopefully mine will run fine for several more years and by then anything can happen.

I’m just not sold on Honda. I used a friends inverter 3000 Honda once... not again. My cpap seemed to run faster and sounded like a siren at low speed. The noise and possibly air pressure wouldn’t allow me to sleep. He has since traded it even up for a 2000 watt Honda.

I like the boost feature on certain Yahmaha gennys but they, like Honda are very proud of their products.

I would like remote start, available both Champion and Firman. My current Subaru/Robin has a 3 1/2 gallon tank and has run 20+ hours on one fill. Appears all the new ones only have half sized tanks now so an extended run tank would be nice.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:13 AM   #12
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Along View Post
Went on their website. They claim to have made millions for the rest of the world under other brand names including Koehler but I have no clue the reputation of Koehler generators. Just started shipping to the US in ‘15. Hopefully mine will run fine for several more years and by then anything can happen.

I’m just not sold on Honda. I used a friends inverter 3000 Honda once... not again. My cpap seemed to run faster and sounded like a siren at low speed. The noise and possibly air pressure wouldn’t allow me to sleep. He has since traded it even up for a 2000 watt Honda.

I like the boost feature on certain Yahmaha gennys but they, like Honda are very proud of their products.

I would like remote start, available both Champion and Firman. My current Subaru/Robin has a 3 1/2 gallon tank and has run 20+ hours on one fill. Appears all the new ones only have half sized tanks now so an extended run tank would be nice.
Just wondering if the Koehler you mention is actually spelled Kohler...maybe a typo or an actual different brand. I know Kohler has been making RV gens for years.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
ChuckS

Wish I knew someone that had one of the units you are looking at to offer some help.. sadly I don’t.. I run two Honda 2000s.. yep, they cost and I did procastinate about the costs.. wife convinced me to go with Honda’s.
They are quite, the voltage output is very stable..

I run HF ham radio gear and if there was any fluctuation in voltage output I’d see it..

Good luck with what ever you choose and visit back and give your update/opinion after using for a while
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Wish I knew someone that had one of the units you are looking at to offer some help.. sadly I don’t.. I run two Honda 2000s.. yep, they cost and I did procastinate about the costs.. wife convinced me to go with Honda’s.
They are quite, the voltage output is very stable..

I run HF ham radio gear and if there was any fluctuation in voltage output I’d see it..

Good luck with what ever you choose and visit back and give your update/opinion after using for a while
Hopefully it will be several more years! As long as my Subaru/Robin keeps running...