Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #21
bobbecky

I installed an ARP device that monitors the fridge’s boiler temperature and turns the fridge off if the temperature exceeds a safe level. That way, if the fridge is not level, when parked off level or if climbing or decending a long highway grade, the fridge is protected. We have had this device for several years. We have the model that also has extra fans. www.arprv.com
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:53 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

While stored fridge off doors open, can't justify the electric usage. Turn it on a min of 24 hrs before loading. Don't worry about an absorbtion type fridge being perfectly level during transit. The movement, vibrations will shake down the amonia preventing the "pooling" that causes prblems. So we do run it on gas while traveling. As for cconcerns on refuling I don't have that issue as I use deisel from truck stops but logically
if you think about it having a flame and the electric ignightor or standing pilot in a contained space several yards away is less dangerouse than the persone that steps outside after perchasing their favorite drinks and lights up a ciggarett. Can anyone provide proof of this ever causing a fire or explosion? I think it's as much urban legend as the cell phone while pumping gas scare was years ago.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #23
theasphaltrv'er

When RV is in tow, the fridge is on all the time. When RV is sittin beside the house, the fridge is off. It's turned on a couple days before departure to kool down and then when back home it's turned off again & cleaned and doors clipped in the open position and RV is unplugged from 30 amp plug, disconnect switch is turned off and solar panel keeps battery charged when just sittin beside the house. Been doin it this way for pertnear 40 years. No problem yet.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 AM   #24
jkohler70

There is a site online that tested RV refrigerators and they determined electrical usage is about $20 a month for these units. If there there will be more than 2 weeks between trips I unload and turn it off. I use a conversion of dollars to beer to decide whether it's worth it.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:11 AM   #25
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
There is a site online that tested RV refrigerators and they determined electrical usage is about $20 a month for these units. If there there will be more than 2 weeks between trips I unload and turn it off. I use a conversion of dollars to beer to decide whether it's worth it.
Don't suppose there was an estimate for monthly propane use? Quantity not price.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Don't suppose there was an estimate for monthly propane use? Quantity not price.
Here's the "math answer":

The Dometic refrigerator burner uses 1200 BTU per hour.
Propane has 91,500 BTU per gallon so a 7 gallon tank (at 80% full) has about 5.6 gallons or 512,400 BTU.
If the refrigerator burner operates 50% of the time, then it would be lit for 12 hours in a 24 hour period. That's 12x1200 or 14,400 BTU per day.
With a tank containing 512,400 BTU, using 14,400 per day, the tank would last about 35 days.

So, the previous estimate of "about a tank of propane a month" is pretty close to "calculated consumption". At $2.49 per gallon (Tractor Supply's current price in our city) 5.6 gallons costs $14+tax.

That works out to about $15 a month to operate the refrigerator on propane. I haven't worked out the cost to operate on electricity, but would make a "best guess" that it is fairly close to the price of propane operation.

Honestly, if someone has a $60K truck and a $50K trailer and they're worried about whether they can afford to leave the refrigerator operating for a week between trips ??????? I just can't wrap my head around being that "thrifty" when towing 10 tons of bulk down the highway, getting 10 MPH when diesel was $2.39/gal last year and is $3.39/gal this year.... Wouldn't the increased cost of diesel "eat up the thriftiness" of turning off the refrigerator in the first 100 miles ???? If the budget is that tight, maybe parking the rig until the economy gets better would be the way to go. But then, at $3 a bag for ice, even using coolers (or drinking frozen umbrella drinks) would cost far more than a week of refrigerator power.... YMMV

ADDED: Joe, The first part of this post is to answer your question. The second part is a "general observation" and is not specifically directed toward you or your camping style. This is just my view on some of the decisions people make to "save a buck while spending thousands" on a very expensive lifestyle......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #27
66joej

Thanks John. I thought the monthly use of propane was brought up before just didn't look at the right thread/post. I have to say you are a plethora ( I think that means a lot) of information. An asset on this forum!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge