Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
kdorsett

missing power somewhere

We just bought a 2012 Keystone Bullet. Had it plugged to shore power (regular outlet) this week to give a good cleaning. Everything worked great, initially. Yesterday the ac and clock on the microwave quit working. I can hear the AC click, but won't blow air. I've checked all of the fuses, and checked all of the breakers. Nothing seems to be wrong there. Slide out works fine. Any thoughts?
kdorsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
14george

Are you plugged in a30 amp outlet or a outlet like a lamp plugs into
Old 06-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
kdorsett

I honestly don't know. The breaker has a 20, so I'm assuming not. It was working fine previously. Maybe I messed something up?
Old 06-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
14george

Can’t Romberg how many amps ac pulls if your trying to run ac hot water tank microwave at same time you could be overloading circuit
Old 06-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you're on a regular 120vac circuit. If so, you're ability to use electrical "things" is very limited. If you're in the unit trying to clean and have the lights on (non LED) and using a vacuum, that's about all you can do. If you run the AC....that's about all you can do.

Sounds like you've blown the breaker that feeds the outlet you have the trailer plugged into. Slides run on 12vdc, not 120vac. Turn everything in the trailer off then reset the breaker to the AC outlet the trailer is plugged into. Go back to the trailer and set the clock on the microwave; you should be able to set it and that tells you that you have AC in the trailer again. After that only turn on ONE power hog at a time; AC or microwave or vacuum etc. And, if you haven't changed the lights to LED you need to or keep in mind that the more of them you turn on the more power you are pulling and you have to take that into account.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
kdorsett

If you can't tell, I have no idea what I'm doing regarding this thing. It came with no manuals either. I apologize for my ignorance. I'm not actively trying to run any water or microwave. Just lights and AC (it's in the 90s today here) while I'm cleaning. I honestly don't even know if I have all of the switches on that I should. The guy at the dealership tried to teach me (in his defense), but I obviously need some refresher. When it quit working, it did trip the breaker initially. I turned everything off in the camper and then reset the breaker. Here is a picture of what switches I have on the wall. The top obviously runs the ac, I turned it off because I didn't want to mess anything up) The bottom is the tank levels. But I don't even know what the middle one is for. Could this be the problem as well?
Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
kdorsett

Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
kdorsett

I obviously can't post a picture either... I'm so sorry... very frustrated
Old 06-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdorsett View Post
If you can't tell, I have no idea what I'm doing regarding this thing. It came with no manuals either. I apologize for my ignorance. I'm not actively trying to run any water or microwave. Just lights and AC (it's in the 90s today here) while I'm cleaning. I honestly don't even know if I have all of the switches on that I should. The guy at the dealership tried to teach me (in his defense), but I obviously need some refresher. When it quit working, it did trip the breaker initially. I turned everything off in the camper and then reset the breaker. Here is a picture of what switches I have on the wall. The top obviously runs the ac, I turned it off because I didn't want to mess anything up) The bottom is the tank levels. But I don't even know what the middle one is for. Could this be the problem as well?

didn’t get picture
Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I, nor anyone else on the forum, "can tell" anything about your trailer unless you tell us. We have no affiliation with Keystone and only know about various trailers and trailer "stuff" from experience.

I know you're frustrated but us knowing everything you've done, what happened when x was turned on/off etc. gives us much better insight into what is going on vs making 10,000 guesses shooting in the dark.

What kind of switch are you referencing for the AC? Mine is controlled by a thermostat. Do you know if you actually have electricity in the trailer? Take anything with a cord on it (light, drill, etc) that you can turn on, plug into an outlet and verify that it's working - or, just turn on the microwave. It should run just fine if everything is OK.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
14george

Go to breaker panel in trailer check For tripped breakers
Old 06-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #12
kdorsett

Still trying to post the picture. We unplugged the camper and plugged something else into the outlet that we are using and it works fine, so that is getting power. Some things in the camper will work, just not the ac (just clicks initially) and the time on the microwave won't light up.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
kdorsett

I checked the breaker panel and didn't find any. Flipped them off then back on just to make sure. (There's only one panel, right?) I also checked all of the fuses in the panel and didn't see any blown.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdorsett View Post

Still trying to post the picture. We unplugged the camper and plugged something else into the outlet that we are using and it works fine, so that is getting power. Some things in the camper will work, just not the ac (just clicks initially) and the time on the microwave won't light up.
There is a breaker panel in camper check breakers in there
Old 06-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

The AC and the time on the microwave both run on AC current. Will the microwave itself come on? What else works? You have 2 sources of power in the RV - 12vdc and 120vac. Different things work on each of those.

As 14george mentioned, you have a breaker panel in the house that feeds the plug the RV is plugged into; you also have a breaker panel in the RV that feeds everything electrical in the camper. If the AC AND microwave won't run you're looking at a loss of AC power somewhere along the line. Since you've blown the breaker already, something caused that - hopefully it wasn't something that would destroy the electrical appliances.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #16
kdorsett

I checked breakers and fuses in the camper and didn't see a problem. Flipped the breaker inside and out of the house and no problems found. Plugged something else into the pole the camper is plugged into and it works fine. Slide out works fine. Lights inside work fine. Fridge light (that shows power is on) comes on. (each checked after previous one turned back off) Microwave still doesn't work (clock doesn't even light up) and didn't try the ac again (didn't want to mess it up)
Old 06-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Everything that you say is working is 12vdc only. You've not given an example of anything 120vac that works. Whatever you used to plug into the pole, that worked, plug into an electrical outlet in the camper....does it work there?

It dawned on me that you said the fridge light came on. It does run on AC. Check the outlet and see what you have.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #18
kdorsett

It did not work. I pushed the reset button on the outlet in the bathroom. It still didn't work.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #19
kdorsett

When I say the fridge light came on... I mean I pushed the switch above the fridge to turn it on and it lit up. Not the light inside the fridge. I didn't check that.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

What kind of lights are on the fridge? Mine has a green and yellow. Green comes on solid if it is running on AC. The yellow lights under it if it's on LP. The yellow flashes if there is a problem with the LP. What is on, what color, what kind of fridge?

Also, do you have a radio? Will it come on? Will the TV? Exactly what happened when you blew the breaker?

Tags
power