Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
Ajby

Wind and Water heater

My husband and I are full time staying in our Hideout pull trailer, my biggest issue that I have not found anything to help . Where we live for the time being is very windy and I cannot stop the water heater from being blown out and the propane coming directly inside. What on earth can be used to cover the hot water heater to still vent but not be blown out? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ajby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Year make and model of trailer would help.

Any chance of reorienting the trailer? Wind there typically comes from the S and W. With winter coming on though you could get it from any of them. You could also fabricate some sort of wind break in front of the furnace outside but far enough away that the exhaust would not be blocked or make whatever you used too hot. Once we know the trailer info there might be something more specific for that trailer. I've been in some high winds and I've not had that problem so there may be something contributing to the problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:57 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Are you talking about an "older water heater with a pilot light that gets blown our" or are you talking about a "more recent water heater and the actual full flame gets blown out" ???

It's essential that the year and model water heater is known and just "which flame" is being blown out.

As Danny suggested, if you can't reposition the trailer so the prevailing wind gusts are not hitting the water heater, then possibly a couple of steel fence posts" (think about them as heavy duty tent poles" and then a piece of an old plastic patio mat or an old sun shade sail or something else that wind can "blow through" but reduce the velocity of the wind" wired between them as a wind block. Mount it about 4 or 5 feet out from the trailer, so it will block the gusts, but not be close enough to the trailer to get hot or if the wind blows it over, it won't hit the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T POST.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	45722  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater, wind