Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
RVMom13

Tankless water heater?

Hi everyone - I am new to this forum and to trailers and RV’s. I’ve read many posts here but will now likely start asking a ton of questionsf as I’m new to all this! A bit about us - I’m a single mom struggling with major health issues (among them a stroke) and still unable to work while recovering. We recently lost our home because of the resulting financial struggle and moved into the trailer with my 2 older kids at the beginning of November. I’m trying to turn this trailer into a home for the three of us but am working with a super minimal budget and not much support.

Living and functioning full time in the trailer we struggle with hot water supply and I have been looking at options for tankless water heaters. We have the option of an electric tankless as we are lucky enough to be parked on a friend’s property so are hooked up to city water, septic and 50 amp power. The mobile RV service tech we had out for a water leak in one of the lines told me he has replaced the gas/electric RV hot water heaters with electric house tankless heaters with a few minor adjustments with great success for those living in their RV or trailer.

Wondering if anyone here has done this? And if they have, was it successful? I would prefer to not use a propane tankless water heater because of the cost of propane - our power is free. I’m also hoping that if we go this route, I can purchase the new water heater myself and have a friend install it to save on cost.

Any and all advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated
RVMom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
cougar23

We had a tankless water heater in our 2022 class c motorhome and hated it. We traded the motorhome for a 5th wheel and had the tankless water replaced with a gas/electric heater.
If you have shore power I would stay with the gas/elect heater and run it on elect.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
TXiceman

We have a 2023 Cougar a tankless water heater and it is the biggest junk you can find. Every time you reduce water flow a little, it shuts off the heat and you get a shot of cold water. I am seriously considering tossing it in the trash and installing a gas tank type water heater.

If you have a functioning tank type, just use it and learn to take navy-style showers and limit the hot water usage and save your money.

We have always had gas/electric, tank type water heaters and never had a complaint. The tankless is junk. The water heater does not use nearly as much propane as the furnace.

Ken
Old 11-19-2023, 06:42 PM   #4
cougar23

When we had the motorhome with the tankless water heater I tried setting the hot water temperature at 100 Deg. and running without any cold water.
Worked OK but if boondocking you would fill the waste tank very fast. The shower in the motorhome went into black tank.
The mechanic that installed the gas/elect. tank in our 5th wheel said the hardest part was fishing the control wires for switches down the wall. The gas/elect. unit fit prefect into space vacated by tankless heater.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater