Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
RV Driver Ed

Washer Dryer Combo or Separate Units

Thinking of purchasing a washer dryer combo or 2 separate units to install in New Alpine 3650RL when I receive new unit.

What does it take for winterizing either a combo or separate units for storage in a cold climate?

Does anyone have anything good to say about a specific brand?

Is it worth the price or should I just wash the clothes at home?

My unit is on a seasonal site more then a few miles from home. So I am thinking of have a second set of clothes for camper to save space in car traveling.

2013 F150 Crew Cab, to go shopping and site seeing for now, how do you start one of those go fund me pages? #Ed's New Truck, Ha, Ha.
RV Driver Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

JMO, if there is a laundry mat near your RV, save your money and do it there. I wouldn’t get a combo unit. I am the process of installing a pair of splendide units in a motor home. Very few if any issues with that brand that I have seen.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
E Rod

I have a 2017 Alpine 3660FL. I bought a Splendid combo off Craigslist for $500. Owner had just purchased when rv got totaled. I installed it myself in the closet. Only thing I did was drill the hole in wall for vent though my rv stated ventless. Heard bad things about those. I don't regret it and has worked well for gf and I.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180127_162242.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	16574   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180127_134658.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	16575  
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
Tbos

At this point the DW and I are considering a combo unit so we don’t lose the “coat” closet space. For now laundry is being done at Son’s house.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
travelin texans

We've had both the combo & separates, Splendide brand of both, & if you have room get the separates. The combo worked well, but took about 2+hours per load & you'll need an ironing board, everything comes out wrinkled.
DO NOT get the ventless combo, you don't want all that moisture inside your rv.
As Chuck said if you have access to residential or laundromat machines & are not fulltimers, save the money, the Splendide brands are pricey.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver Ed View Post
Thinking of purchasing a washer dryer combo or 2 separate units to install in New Alpine 3650RL when I receive new unit.

What does it take for winterizing either a combo or separate units for storage in a cold climate?

My unit is on a seasonal site more then a few miles from home. So I am thinking of have a second set of clothes for camper to save space in car traveling.

We just purchased a Splendide combo vented unit. Will be trying it out for the first time this weekend. Splendide has complete instructions on their web site on installing, using and winterizing.

I tend to look at Amazon to see what folks think of specific models. The WD2100XC is rated pretty well 4+ stars and lots of answered questions. Wrinkling can be an issue that looks like it's most often caused by loading too full, no liquid fabric softener or not taking the clothes out soon enough.

Is it worth the price? LOL! It's certainly going to be cheaper to wash clothes at home. However, we're also seasonal campers a little more than 2 hours from home and it's worth it to us to be able to wash our clothes at the camper. Yes, you can go to the campground laundromat. It was something I hated doing 40 years or more ago. I don't think I would enjoy it any more today.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
travelin texans

I know several that have bought the apartment size w/d separates & stackables & have had good luck with them at much less cost.
As for the wrinkles, DW tried everything in the 4 years we used the combo unit, small loads, large loads, different soaps, different softeners, even bought a water softener & one thing stayed the same, she needed to iron, even underwear & socks were wrinkled (didn't iron those).
If your 2 hours from home, that's1 load washed/dried in the combo, if it's jeans or towels it will have to be dried more.
Don't blame you a bit about about the laundromat, but if spending your hard earned $$ get the separates, I think you'd be much happier.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Jweems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver Ed View Post

We have been full timing since 2010. We have a Montana 5th wheel and have the Splendide stakable units. They work well and we h ave found that they are really handy. However, it is important to follow the guidelines on load size for optimum function of both Washer and Dryer. The load sizes are smaller than you are used to with normal home size, but still very useful and functional. It just takes a little longer to wash.
We have found that if the campground has a nice laundry with several W&D's that you can was most of the loads more quickly there if that is an issue. Also if you want to wash larger items, i.e. bed spreads etc that you will want to use a commercial type W&D for those items.
The only issue we have found is that you should not dry anything with a rubber backing in the dryer because it will cause the drum to lock up and eventually burn the dryer belt in two.The belt is not an easy job to replace.
Hope this helps.
Jweems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
RV Driver Ed

Thanks for everyone's answers, lots to think about with washing, drying and being wrinkled or not. I will get my new camping unit first and go from there.

2013 F150 Crew Cab, to go shopping and site seeing for now, how do you start one of those go fund me pages? #Ed's New Truck, Ha, Ha.
RV Driver Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #10
gearhead

Don't get a Pinnacle combo. We bought it from PPL and they refuse to work on it. Said the diagnosis process is so complicated they have to get a factory tech to help them.
For the wrinkles we used dryer balls. About the size of a baseball with pointed protrusions all over them. I think from Target.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
We just purchased a Splendide combo vented unit. Will be trying it out for the first time this weekend. Splendide has complete instructions on their web site on installing, using and winterizing.

I tend to look at Amazon to see what folks think of specific models. The WD2100XC is rated pretty well 4+ stars and lots of answered questions. Wrinkling can be an issue that looks like it's most often caused by loading too full, no liquid fabric softener or not taking the clothes out soon enough.

Is it worth the price? LOL! It's certainly going to be cheaper to wash clothes at home. However, we're also seasonal campers a little more than 2 hours from home and it's worth it to us to be able to wash our clothes at the camper. Yes, you can go to the campground laundromat. It was something I hated doing 40 years or more ago. I don't think I would enjoy it any more today.

Have you tried your new combo unit yet? How did it work?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washer