Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
CrazyCain

sky light sealent

searched this on here and didn't find answer.....SO just so i know, is the sealent around the sky light on my Hideout Dicor Lap sealent or what? I have read about 40 different answers...Looks like it anyway..
Some say Dicor lap sealent will cause hair line cracks in the skylight..eh? STill looks great, but want to be ready..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We use Dicor lap sealant, haven’t had any cracks caused by it. Sun damage is a different subject.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

My Cougar has DICOR self leveling sealant around the skylight. Maybe Hideout uses some other type, but if they do, rest assured, DICOR will work just as well. I've never heard of any sealant reacting with the plastic to cause hairline cracks. The only cracks I've ever heard of or seen come from tightening the screws too tightly or unevenly, causing stress to the plastic.

No need to store another tube of "some other stuff". Essentially, if it's on the roof, it'd OK to use DICOR self leveling sealant on it. (except for the air conditioner, it has a foam seal)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
CrazyCain

We use Dicor lap sealant, haven’t had any cracks caused by it. Sun damage is a different subject.

Maybe Hideout uses some other type, but if they do, rest assured, DICOR will work just as well.

Thanks guys, that is what i get for reading another form for answers..

Hey John, you in on the monster snow storm getting ready to hit??

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Hey John, you in on the monster snow storm getting ready to hit??
Yup, we're right in the middle of all the "FUN".....

I'm currently sitting on my butt, heels dug in, screaming: NO NO NO all the while watching the weather channel which is screaming: YES YES YES

I've got a feeling we'll wind up with 6-8" of accumulation before Monday. Maybe it won't be that bad.... after all, an inch of ice equals 8" of snow. It's just harder to shovel

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My Cougar has DICOR self leveling sealant around the skylight. Maybe Hideout uses some other type, but if they do, rest assured, DICOR will work just as well. I've never heard of any sealant reacting with the plastic to cause hairline cracks. The only cracks I've ever heard of or seen come from tightening the screws too tightly or unevenly, causing stress to the plastic.

No need to store another tube of "some other stuff". Essentially, if it's on the roof, it'd OK to use DICOR self leveling sealant on it. (except for the air conditioner, it has a foam seal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yup, we're right in the middle of all the "FUN".....

I'm currently sitting on my butt, heels dug in, screaming: NO NO NO all the while watching the weather channel which is screaming: YES YES YES

I've got a feeling we'll wind up with 6-8" of accumulation before Monday. Maybe it won't be that bad.... after all, an inch of ice equals 8" of snow. It's just harder to shovel
Good that the Cougar is nice and tucked awa in the barn(?). The hideout has to tough if out,, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr argggggggggg

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Good that the Cougar is nice and tucked awa in the barn(?). The hideout has to tough if out,, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr argggggggggg
Definitely in the barn. Batteries on the trickle charger in the garage, slingshot and boat in the pole barn with the Cougar, tractor and "stuff" in the other pole barn, so it's all tucked away waiting for warm weather.... I hope it gets here soon, I've got a lot of things I want to do to the Cougar, but if it doesn't warm up by the end of April, we're heading south with the slingshot on a trailer behind the Cougar and we'll come back in June or July..... Enough of the white stuff already, it's time to rake lawns and cut grass, not shovel more white.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Has anyone else noticed that ever since John bought his Slingshot, it hasn't stopped snowing? Maybe I'm the only one.....LOL!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Has anyone else noticed that ever since John bought his Slingshot, it hasn't stopped snowing? Maybe I'm the only one.....LOL!
Only one? Na, just the only one to say it publicly

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Only one? Na, just the only one to say it publicly
Trust me guys, I'm PAINFULLY aware that it's sitting in the pole barn, all shiny and red and still only has 27 miles on it....... We picked up the trailer to load it Tuesday in Mason, MI. So except for putting the tie down brackets/chocks on the trailer deck, we're ready to escape.... This is almost as bad as 5 years ago when the pole barn door froze in the ice and we couldn't get the Cougar out.... We were one day from pulling the door off the pole barn with the tractor when the salt finally broke the ice free.... It's not quite that bad (weather wise) but it sure is that bad (anticipation wise).... HURRY UP SPRING (or at least one warm, dry day)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....Let the thread resume!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Wait, Wait!! I thought I saw some ads for a plastic enclosure for the cockpit of the Slingshot and some mud tires. Maybe that would help getting out and about in snowy weather!! If so, please post pics. It'll look like a big enclosed snow blower! John, good luck on the weather letting up so you can get the new toy out to play. It was 94 here today..........with 30 mph winds and dirt.......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:08 AM   #13
CrazyCain

You guys are funny!!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:

Tags
light