Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Freeheel4life

Young folks full timing

Thought this was an interesting article. We have some acquaintances that sold their home and are full timing in a local KOA for some of the same reasons(I think they are also putting a bunch of that cashed out equity into their business..).

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/liv...5c85e13d0.html
Freeheel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We are seeing people of all ages buying an RV and using it as their "home". Rising housing prices and like that article, lack of rentals forces people to take action. I'm very grateful that I was able to purchase my home in 2000, and have "weathered" the ups and downs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
lesleyinky

If I would have had to do that in my early 20’s I’m afraid I️ would have never wanted to camp for leisure later on. We have friends who have moved in their campers while building their homes and both couples say they never want to stay another night in an RV again if they can keep from it.
lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We are seeing people of all ages buying an RV and using it as their "home". Rising housing prices and like that article, lack of rentals forces people to take action. I'm very grateful that I was able to purchase my home in 2000, and have "weathered" the ups and downs.

I was a real estate investor/ broker for many years. I'm looking for another recession in about 2 years. Not as bad as 2008 but a biggie on housing. Too much building going on . Much bigger if the current administration changes .

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

We winter in the same park in FL each year. The number of young folks staying there while working at various occupations rises each year. Most are doing some type of work that requires relocations after the job they are working on is done, but the number is rising. Last year we had a "traveling" nurse that had signed a contract to work in the area for some length of time and then would be moving on.

I think the trend is going to continue if "things" keep on like they are. Housing prices are escalating and taxes and insurance are going nuts. Utility prices rise as well. You can't beat an RV payment and $660 a month for property space, utilities and taxes. RV insurance is peanuts compared to property insurance where we live. So......who's going to open a new RV park??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We winter in the same park in FL each year. The number of young folks staying there while working at various occupations rises each year. Most are doing some type of work that requires relocations after the job they are working on is done, but the number is rising. Last year we had a "traveling" nurse that had signed a contract to work in the area for some length of time and then would be moving on.

I think the trend is going to continue if "things" keep on like they are. Housing prices are escalating and taxes and insurance are going nuts. Utility prices rise as well. You can't beat an RV payment and $660 a month for property space, utilities and taxes. RV insurance is peanuts compared to property insurance where we live. So......who's going to open a new RV park??

Too costly to try to open a new park and most seem to get stopped in the approval process. Land plus $20k per site and locals prefer any other use.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Laredo Tugger

Took a look at that article.
All I can say is I may be a little more particular of where I book for a stay.
Those kids need room to run around, the single guy is bound to throw a noisy party or two with his buds on occasion.
Just saying that when normally quiet parks fill up with full timers from a different generation, well you get the point.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Took a look at that article.

All I can say is I may be a little more particular of where I book for a stay.

Those kids need room to run around, the single guy is bound to throw a noisy party or two with his buds on occasion.

Just saying that when normally quiet parks fill up with full timers from a different generation, well you get the point.

RMc

For that reason we close the 5er up June July and August.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Too costly to try to open a new park and most seem to get stopped in the approval process. Land plus $20k per site and locals prefer any other use.

Something works for placing new parks out here in W TX and in the FL panhandle. They are sprouting up all over the place - literally. Here in W TX they find a plot of barren ground, plow in power and place peds, drill a well and run water lines, drop in a septic system and poof, a new RV park. It's unbelievable - they're everywhere and we're in the middle of nowhere! I do think it is the oilfield boom and other industries popping up out here in the boonies. It appears here that if you build it, they will come.

In FL I suspect there are more hoops to go through but they are still popping up along the panhandle. And, there's a real reason for folks to want to go to FL!!
Old 04-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
gearhead

In west Texas I would assume it's the Permian Basin guys living in trailers. Some of the bigger construction contractors had their own company "man camps".
When I worked the EagleFord field in south Texas the contractors were mostly in man camps and the company folks were in their own trailers or hotels.
I stayed in the Hilton Embassy Suites in Laredo. Kept a room there even when I left for other short term jobs. Seemed no choice to me...nice hotel with a bar and meals or my trailer in dusty RV park.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
In west Texas I would assume it's the Permian Basin guys living in trailers. Some of the bigger construction contractors had their own company "man camps".
When I worked the EagleFord field in south Texas the contractors were mostly in man camps and the company folks were in their own trailers or hotels.
I stayed in the Hilton Embassy Suites in Laredo. Kept a room there even when I left for other short term jobs. Seemed no choice to me...nice hotel with a bar and meals or my trailer in dusty RV park.
Yes, it's the Permian Basin. The RV park phenomenon extends over into SW NM as well.