Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #21
bbells

We just replaced ours with 2 layers of foam. One memory the other heavy regular foam. My wife than sewed 2 sheets together to make a bag type cover for the mattress. Comfortable, works fine, light enough to open the storage, and the bag is washable.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #22
xrated

Probably not an option you want to hear, but we moved or 20+ year old Sleep Number mattress from the house to the trailer.....then bought a new Sleep Number bed for the house. At home or away, we sleep very comfortably either place.....and is exactly the same both places. Life's too short for a bad night's sleep!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #23
pitman44

We replaced our short queen mattress with one we bought from CW. I believe the price was about $400, but this was about 4 years ago. Very comfortable. Frankly I was surprised it was that inexpensive, but it had a number of high reviews.

Just traded that RV in, but the new one has a full size queen. I suspect we'll be getting a new one for that one in the not too distance future. Personally we go to the camper to relax. Leaving with an aching back isn't very relaxing so we're more than willing to spend the bucks for a good mattress.

Amazon has a number of RV sized mattresses. You might check there.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #24
Golgotha

We also have a 2016 30RLI, our solution was to buy a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper at Walmart, it was about $150. It made the bed that much higher, but it’s very comfortable.
Golgotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #25
Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
We just replaced ours with 2 layers of foam. One memory the other heavy regular foam. My wife than sewed 2 sheets together to make a bag type cover for the mattress. Comfortable, works fine, light enough to open the storage, and the bag is washable.
We have a similar setup after tossing the poor excuse for a mattress in our Hideout. Back when we were tenting it the DW sewed canvas around a set of re-purposed couch cushions and we had two "foam burritos" side by side under our zipped-together sleeping bags. Now they live in the trailer with a 2-inch memory foam topper and we're comfy as can be inside our flannel-lined Coleman sleeping bag!

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #26
rubydoodle

Costco Novaform Grande

We ordered one from Costco that was $100 off of $499.99. It came in a box to our door. It is a Novaform Grande and so comfortable we ordered another for home. When you take it out of the box and cut the wrap, it expands beautifully. My husband has a bad back and also loves this mattress.
rubydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #27
Alsbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydoodle View Post
We ordered one from Costco that was $100 off of $499.99. It came in a box to our door. It is a Novaform Grande and so comfortable we ordered another for home. When you take it out of the box and cut the wrap, it expands beautifully. My husband has a bad back and also loves this mattress.

I second this. We love ours.
Alsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #28
Carmenmvasquez32

Best Mattress

We have remedied this two different ways, and have been happy with both. Keep the nasty RV mattress, and get a 3 inch memory foam topper with a mattress pad, the ultra firm RV mattress is a great base for the memory foam. Supper comfy!
Second way is to order a memory foam mattress on Amazon. We have purchase Best Mattress 10 inch memory foam mattresses for our master bedroom and loved it, when I found that there was a short queen I was super excited! Best mattresses have thousands of 5 star reviews, and are a couple hundred dollars. We are sold, and recommend them to everyone!
(have at least 24 hours for them to fluff, and unwrap them as soon as you get them.)
Carmenmvasquez32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #29
sstedman

We are in the same situation as you. We have a 2017 30RLI and not only is the mattress a hybrid, the sheets are also. Keystone advertises this as a king size mattress, but it obviously is not. They should be held accountable under the truth and advertising laws.
sstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #30
kfennell1

I got a quote for a custom olympic queen mattress from Discount Mattress in Durant, Ok for $599. I believe it was a Corsicanna Mattress.
kfennell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #31
tomd

Our Keystone Sprinter had THE worst most uncomfortable mattress we ever slept in. So bad that while visiting family last year we bought a new mattrass, nice pillow top dense foam at local mattress store, fortunately standard queen size was correct fit. It was a few inches thicker, so I needed to also lower the bed platform. Turns out the bed platform was raised by Keystone to make the thinner mattress fit, so all I had to do was remove the 5 ½ inch x 2 inch header beams they added and then made a 2 inch header. Bed is now wonderful and comfy, and the perfect height!! Just a lot of detail work to cut paneling around the bed and re-assemble. When I removed the paneling the staples holes didn't matter, since I cut 4 inches off the panels before re-installing.
The old mattress made a great backing for the backyard archery range; catches arrows very well, grand kids love that mattress, we like the new one in the 5th wheel. Shame on keystone for selling us such junk.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #32
rsv4pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv4pilot View Post
www.mattressinsider.com

Ordered ours the other day. Will update once We get it...

UPDATE:

Got our mattress the other day. Looks great and is very comfortable.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #33
RickBetterley

First night on the mattress that came with our Cougar, but we added a memory foam topper. Quite comfy.
RickBetterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:43 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv4pilot View Post
UPDATE:

Got our mattress the other day. Looks great and is very comfortable.
We bought our Queen 60 X 80 8" thick memory foam from them a few years ago and am very pleased with how it feels and how it's holding up. DW and I both have back issues and IMHO that mattress compares to the one in our S&B that cost about 5x more. Like your fav drink, vehicle, or friend, just because someone else loves it doesn't mean you will. Let us know your experience after you try it out!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #35
memilanuk

We are buying a 28 RLSWE that is advertised with a 'king' bed. It looked a bit small, but then we sleep on a California King at home (I'm 6'4"), so I didn't sweat it. I'd read that RV king beds were 72x80 instead of 76x80, and could live with that no problem - still bigger than a regular 'full' queen, so... Yay!

Then we started shopping for sheets... and saw some RV 'king' mattresses were 72x75... not cool!

Then I read the published specs for either this model, or some other Keystone that came with the RV king mattress, and saw it listed as 70x74. Ain't gonna lie, I said some bad words at that point.

On our last trailer we swapped the POS OEM 'RV queen' mattress for a residential queen. It just cleared the slider, but it worked. Putting a longer mattress in this one may not be feasible as there wouldn't be enough room to get by the bed - it'd be touching the wall.

Kind of a bummer start to what otherwise seems to be an awesome trailer...
memilanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:39 AM   #36
Cardcathrn

Mattress

I bought a topper and cut it down to match. Works better than nothing. I also have used king size sheets now and they are ok
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #37
Glenda Clark

I got rid of my "death row prison cell" mattress that came with my new camper , and purchased a pillow top queen mattress.
What an amazing difference. It's so comfortable . Even sitting on the one that came with it originally was like a block of cement.

Why do they install poor quality mattresses in these trailers , when they know they will be discarded to purchase a better quality one ?

That is a waste of product , in my opinion.

2016 Chevy Silverado , 1500.
5.3 liter V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #38
rickyrock

We bought an 8 inch memory foam off amazon and my husband cut the 4 inches off the end. Works like a charm. Much better than the skinny mattress that came with the camper. Oh it was a king size mattress.
rickyrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress