Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
WayneA

Front exterior wall buckling

I have a 2016 Keystone Passport Grand Touring Series M-2770 RB. The front wall at the top where it joins the roof started buckling 2 years ago. At first it was a cosmetic issue, but now the buckling has gotten so severe that it has caused the front wall to start separating from the roof. I asked my RV dealer about repairs and got a "ballpark" estimate of $4,000 - $5,000. I have seen the same type of buckling problem on several other Passports. Therefore, I think it is either due to poor design or poor quality control when the unit was built.
Any suggestions from anybody on how to deal with this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_091247.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	24063  
WayneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

That's delamination, typically caused by the roof/front cap joint leaking due to the roof not being properly maintained. If it started 2 years ago did you bring it to the attention of the dealer while it was still covered under warranty?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneA View Post
I have a 2016 Keystone Passport Grand Touring Series M-2770 RB. The front wall at the top where it joins the roof started buckling 2 years ago. At first it was a cosmetic issue, but now the buckling has gotten so severe that it has caused the front wall to start separating from the roof. I asked my RV dealer about repairs and got a "ballpark" estimate of $4,000 - $5,000. I have seen the same type of buckling problem on several other Passports. Therefore, I think it is either due to poor design or poor quality control when the unit was built.
Any suggestions from anybody on how to deal with this problem.
I think that front cap is just hung on the frame at the front and back. At least that was the method of construction on my previous TT ('13 Cougar). Developed a leak at one of the top front clearance lights that I never spotted. Not long after the "oil canning" started and turned out to be a leak.
$7K later with a new front cap problem solved. Point is it will be expensive. Contact your insurance company.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
busterbrown

Looks like chronic moisture intrusion behind the front fiberglass panel. The front panel and roof joint is very suspicious in this case. Is that ice formation on the front top? Looks extremely sun beat.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote