Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2019, 05:51 AM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've spent a lot of time waiting in Orthopedic and Neurosurgeons offices well past my appointment time. I didn't know my neck and shoulder was still in warranty!
It really, REALLY got bad with my last (note not current) primary care provider. It wasn't uncommon to have a 1PM (first after lunch) appointment and be seen at 330 or 345. On my last appointment in that clinic, I presented the physician with a "bill for my time" and explained to him that I wouldn't be returning because my time is just as valuable as his.... The look I got and the "hem/haw" that followed was thick enough to cut with a knife.

Sometimes, saying "ENOUGH, NO MORE !!!!!" is appropriate, not only at an office that abuses appointments but also at an RV dealership that abuses wait times and service schedules..... I'd be having a "friendly, face to face chat" with the service manager about "reasonable expectations" ....

Possibly, presenting him/her with a bill for the "monthly payment" (since they had it for the entire month) ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #62
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It really, REALLY got bad with my last (note not current) primary care provider. It wasn't uncommon to have a 1PM (first after lunch) appointment and be seen at 330 or 345. On my last appointment in that clinic, I presented the physician with a "bill for my time" and explained to him that I wouldn't be returning because my time is just as valuable as his.... The look I got and the "hem/haw" that followed was thick enough to cut with a knife.

Sometimes, saying "ENOUGH, NO MORE !!!!!" is appropriate, not only at an office that abuses appointments but also at an RV dealership that abuses wait times and service schedules..... I'd be having a "friendly, face to face chat" with the service manager about "reasonable expectations" ....

Possibly, presenting him/her with a bill for the "monthly payment" (since they had it for the entire month) ....
BTDT! I understand that the two disciplines I cited do get emergency calls so I'm a LITTLE lenient but a PCP? I had one once that the appointment was an 8 a.m. (first of the day) and I didn't see him until 9:30. I told him I would bill him at my pay rate and he knew I'd follow thru. He never did that to me again.
It's amazing how some folks tolerate ignorance by many "professions". When we bought our current house we purchased a model home. We accepted the model because the DW fell in love with it (I know, I know) and the community didn't have any lots large enough left to fit a new into. They agreed to all my terms and the last term was that I agreed to wait until they built another model before we took possession and they agreed to pay me X amount for rent and wear & tear for each day they used "my house". I tell people that and so many people say "I didn't know you could do that".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:44 AM   #63
StevyG

I also have the same exact unit. I had a post about a week ago. Repair man had 2 visits. resulting in over $800. Replaced control board. As of this writing the unit stopped working again. These units are a piece of crap. I will have to drop it off at a dealer.
StevyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:17 AM   #64
skids

With the comments about debris affecting the sail switch, has anyone tried using a shop vacuum hose against the furnace outlet (while cold of course)? Could it cause damage?
Old 11-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #65
chuckster57
Site Team

If your talking about the ports on the outside of the trailer, It wont do anything. The sail switch is in the blower section. There is pone motor and it has a fan on each end, the one that moves air inside the trailer (where the sail switch is) is in a separated part of the furnace.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #66
skids

Thanks Chuck. I have a lot to learn about HVAC for RVs.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #67
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome. Its not that different from S&B furnace systems, just the sequence of events is different.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #68
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Thanks Chuck. I have a lot to learn about HVAC for RVs.
The furnace is essentially built like a commercial roof top gas fired unit, often referred to as a "package unit." Popular manufacturers are Trane, York, Carrier. The RV air conditioners are essentially like a "window" air conditioner or a "thru the wall" air conditioner commonly found in smaller motels.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #69
StevyG

This is an update on my 2019 cougar Dometic gas furnace.
After 2 visits from a RV repair man & $800 in total ($160 control board $640 labor) it only worked for a week.

Option one take it back & forth twice to Sarasota. Which is would be costly not to mention the time & aggravation.
Option 2..I took upon my self to change the sail switch. Why the service man did Not do this after I mentioned it from the good advice from my forum members, is beyond me.
Case in point Learn to do things yourself if you are able.
It works fine now.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #70
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevyG View Post
After 2 visits from a RV repair man & $800 in total ($160 control board $640 labor) it only worked for a week.

Option one take it back & forth twice to Sarasota. Which is would be costly not to mention the time & aggravation.
Option 2..I took upon my self to change the sail switch. Why the service man did Not do this after I mentioned it from the good advice from my forum members, is beyond me.
It works fine now.
Good to hear

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #71
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevyG View Post

It works fine now.
If you paid the tech with a credit card then I would call the bank that issued the card and challenge the payment. They may or may not be able to help but it's worth a call. If you paid cash, then it's something to think about for future occurrences.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #72
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s a bit excessive for labor in my opinion. But I will say, if it was working for a week then the mobile tech did his job.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:30 AM   #73
BrianSeeholzer

Banging on side of RV worked!

Banging on the side of the RV while it was trying to start worked! It must indeed be the sail switch for me. After a couple of times "convincing it" to fire, it fired by itself. I'm still going to have it replaced, but it is nice to know I have a work-around in the meantime if it should happen again.
BrianSeeholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #74
Peacemkr53

2019 Cougar as well and yes I had the same issue. Furnace worked fine. Moved to WI for another job and the stinker just quit. Light suggests sail switch is bad. So I monkey with it and ended up calling the mobile RV guy who turns it on and - yep - fired right up. 3 days later it quits again. Called him again and it takes 4 days for him to show and ends up tinkering with it and the damn thing fires up. Getting warmer days when it quit 5 days out, so did without. Got it back to dealer in Indiana, and found hairball inside the blower unit....no filters and the return is in the stairs to the bedroom. Thinking filter on the stairs may improve my luck. We'll see how it all works when we get the 5er out next month.
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #75
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemkr53 View Post
2019 Cougar as well and yes I had the same issue. Furnace worked fine. Moved to WI for another job and the stinker just quit. Light suggests sail switch is bad. So I monkey with it and ended up calling the mobile RV guy who turns it on and - yep - fired right up. 3 days later it quits again. Called him again and it takes 4 days for him to show and ends up tinkering with it and the damn thing fires up. Getting warmer days when it quit 5 days out, so did without. Got it back to dealer in Indiana, and found hairball inside the blower unit....no filters and the return is in the stairs to the bedroom. Thinking filter on the stairs may improve my luck. We'll see how it all works when we get the 5er out next month.
They are not designed to have a filter and adding one will void the warranty.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #76
StevyG

Last Post

It was not difficult replacing a very inexpensive switch i got thru amazon I believe.

I sold my cougar...Thanks all of you for the support you have afforded me.
Happy Tails

Tags
furnace