Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
msubobcats

Removing horseshoe dinette

Really want to make some minor tweeks to our 284rdb, dbl bunks in rear. Would like to remove the horseshoe dinette, toss in a table and four chairs, which would give us a tad more room to put in a couple of cozier recliners... And make the LR a bit more homey... We don't require sleeping for 10 any longer.

After removing the dinette we would like to do some waincoating, dress it up a little. Would the recommendation be stapling or glueing the wainscoating? To me glue sounds more safe, never know what is in the slideout wall.

Well, what say you? Thank you
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

The dinette will com apart after you remove the bottom. You will likely find the dinette screwed into the wall. There may be some fastening to the floor of the slide out and it will be screws. I took our booth dinette out in about 15 minutes. One thing to keep in mind is that there will be holes from the screws so think about how to make these less visible. Perhaps some caulk. There may also be gaps in the trim that cover the wall joints. There was actually some of this trim inside our booth dinette and i used some to finish covering the wall board joints. The most noticeable thing about our booth removal is the carpet is still squished where the table center had been screwed to the floor. I covered this area with a plastic desk thing (goes under a desk so floor isn't scratched) and it also helps the chairs move around a little since they would otherwise sit on carpet. Last issue was that there was an electrical outlet in out booth dinette base. Removed it and shortened the wires and placed it on the wall of our slide out. Handy for plugging in the lap top when camping. I bought out table with two chairs from Ikea and my wife wishes I had bought a larger one. It is adequate but could have been a foot longer and a bit deeper.

As far as your wainscoating, not really sure on that; if you glue, you will have to figure out how to secure the trim while the glue dries and I suspect tape isn't a great choice. Perhaps use a couple screws to retain it while the glue sets up and dries.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
msubobcats

@wiredgeorge... I may have a different dinette setup. Ours is collapsible/accordion style for sleeping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191014_142856.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	24064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191014_142834.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	24065  
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags