Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2019, 03:06 AM   #21
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty46 View Post
" the techs at dealers are ignorant asses and will cause you problems one way or another"
A blanket statement with very little truth, in my opinion. You've had a bad experience or two with CW I'm sure, but if you look hard enough you'll do better. The tech's (and management) I've dealt with at CW Fort Meyers have been superb, as has CW in Ocala, Florida. The tech at David Motorhome Mart in Memphis did a walk-thru second to none on our DRV and took a number of phone calls from me and DW while we were settling in to our new RV.
Shop around a little. Good shops are out there.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:42 AM   #22
Archergodwin

For what they charge as the purchase price for these rigs, you should expect above notch craftsmanship and quality.

Now that you who have owned these a few years have stopped laughing , what you often get is a hastily assembled box, with below standard equipment and horrific messes in the areas that owners would often not see. I have been deep in the bowels of my rig and have performed many upgrades to my 2009 403 Fuzion Touring model 244 of 300 ( I thought I was getting a really nice rig.... it is now).

You should get at the very least, 1 12v battery as part of the cost of the rig. The hitches, yeah.. separate unless you negotiate.
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:07 AM   #23
Laredo Tugger

I agree with Jim. My two purchases of a TT and a FW from two different dealers have both served me well on the backside (after purchase) with service issues. Both dealers have had techs available for help by phone for "field problems" and have been very helpful when I have had the trailer(s) in their shop.
I have noticed that if a dealership has a high sales volume that is not a bad thing. It means they have a reputable service department that keeps those who purchased happy and in turn prospective buyers take notice.
Social media tells the tale essentially. If the dealers service is always full and has long wait times for repairs it does not necessarily mean they sell bad trailers.
Yes, there may be some "ignorant asses" in the mix,but as stated my (and Jim's) experience does not support that.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

"For what they charge as the purchase price for these rigs, you should expect above notch craftsmanship and quality."

There's one cure for this, don't buy it. I'm amazed at how many people will make these statements and yet the RV's are disappearing off the lots and the RV shows are breaking attendance records. Do people buy these sight unseen, money up front, no refund policy?
The truth is yes RV manufacturers are making money just any other "viable" enterprise is. Those few that are still in business and offer "above notch craftsmanship and quality" charge many times the price for their units. If you want a Bentley craftsmanship then your going to pay considerably more than you do for an entry level Chevy. You buy an entry level home you get "builder's grade" carpets, cabinets, appliances, fixtures". If you want solid cherry custom cabinets, Italian marble and a steam shower then you need to step up to a "Custom Home Builder". Compare the cost per square foot.
I agree there are dealers that don't do their part after purchase, some I believe are "unscrupulous in their intent" and others that get a bad name because "new or first time buyers" that have unrealistic expectations don't "bend over backwards" when someone demands they "drop everything" and send out the NASCAR pit crew to re-insert a screw that fell out. A lot of New owners" will happily drive off and never look at the roof, never have maintenance done on the bearings, etc. and after driving them like the trailers hitch to a dirt track race car expect the dealership to "'warranty" everything that goes wrong. In my opinion, for what it's worth, if you have a serious issue with a product and getting the dealership and manufacturer to stand behind it then get serious about your actions. One of the strongest people in "your court" is the finance company. If you contact the financial institution that paid the dealership under your contract to pay them and explain the difficulties you're having they can often leverage a solution. This is also effective with other major consumer purchases for goods and services.
It's always been a "buyer beware" market and today, thanks to the internet/social media it's far easier to do the due diligence on the product and the seller before parting with your hard earned money.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #25
Laredo Tugger

POW!!! flybouy
A beautiful assembly of verbiage there!
Said well my friend.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #26
atkinsb3

The dealership can pretty much make or break your new RV buying/ownership experience. Our local CW has turned over service managers and salesmen approx every 3 months, all promising better service...none able to deliver.

It wasn't until I started taking my trailer to another local rv service center that I actually started enjoying it and felt the stress of ownership go down.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty46 View Post
---besides the techs at dealers are ignorant asses and will cause you problems one way or another installing those add on's.
Not all of us!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
A blanket statement with very little truth, in my opinion. You've had a bad experience or two with CW I'm sure, but if you look hard enough you'll do better. The tech's (and management) I've dealt with at CW Fort Meyers have been superb, as has CW in Ocala, Florida. The tech at David Motorhome Mart in Memphis did a walk-thru second to none on our DRV and took a number of phone calls from me and DW while we were settling in to our new RV.
Shop around a little. Good shops are out there.

I agree with Jim. I've had some bad experiences but by and large any missteps have been rectified and most encounters are OK. Are they like going to a Lexus or Porsche dealership? No, but that's apples and oranges.

I think (JMHO) some folks don't understand these are PLAYTOYS! Some treat them as if they are life and death and they spent their last penny on them. IMO they are just toys, built like toys so big boys can have something big to play with....and constantly fix; a "pastime" so to speak. A person takes his discretionary money, looks around for a "toy", picks an RV (and should know it's a toy) then gets all upset if it's not built like a tank. If it was, none of us would own one and you wouldn't see one on the road. They are built lighter and lighter so smaller and smaller vehicles can tow them. In addition, with all the cost cutting measures it's no wonder they are built like matchboxes, BUT, that's what all the potential customers are clamoring for - so they build them and we buy them as they are. As a previous post said, if you don't like them as they are....don't put your money into them. The market won't change because everyone else wants them the way they are (cheap/light)....but then again, those that just hate them won't have to worry about them and can put their money into a different toy that breaks all the time - boats come to mind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote